crissibeth's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

3 takeaways from Connect Live 2018

Hi everyone! My name is Beth and I’m an NYC-based photographer. I was invited to attend Connect Live to share my photo expertise on a panel and on a photo walk through San Francisco. As a Local Guide myself, I was amazed by so many things, but these were my top three takeaways.

Caption: A photo of me in my natural habitat, taking photos over a puddle in New York City.Caption: A photo of me in my natural habitat, taking photos over a puddle in New York City.

1.  Local Guides are a supportive community of people from all over the world

Caption: A photo of gifts I received throughout Connect Live 2018 including a small stuffed koala, candies, an Eiffel Tower key chain, a postcard, and more.Caption: A photo of gifts I received throughout Connect Live 2018 including a small stuffed koala, candies, an Eiffel Tower key chain, a postcard, and more. At Connect Live, 89 percent of the attendees were from outside of the U.S., representing 59 different countries. People flew tens of thousands of miles to get to San Francisco to represent their home nations. I received many gifts from these Local Guide ambassadors: a hand-crafted keychain from Cameroon, an Australian candy goodie bag, a beautiful postcard from Spain, and a wooden magnet from Kazakhstan, to name a few.

Yet, despite the wildly different backgrounds, everyone immediately came together as a community. Meal times were the exact opposite of a high school lunchroom. There were no cliques; every table I approached welcomed me warmly with smiles. Conversation flowed easily as we each shared our respective experiences and views.  Though our challenges and motivations may have differed, we ended up realizing that we were all working together and contributing toward a common goal of helping others on Google Maps. It was an amazing feeling.

2.  Googlers care about Local Guides’ feedback 

Caption: A photo of Local Guide attendees sitting in the audience and cheering at Connect Live 2018.Caption: A photo of Local Guide attendees sitting in the audience and cheering at Connect Live 2018.After every session, Local Guides lined up to share their suggestions and ideas to a Googler. Each piece of feedback was received with genuine interest, and no notion was treated as unattainable. Several times, the Google representative was able to confirm they were already working on the concept. I was impressed by the spirit of collaboration Google had with the Local Guides. They kept reiterating their appreciation for Local Guide contributions. At many points, Google showed they knew the strength of this large-scale project lies within the entire community who supports it. That really made a big impression on me.  

3.  There are SO many ways to contribute as a Google Local Guide

I’m a photographer and one of the main things I love doing as a Local Guide is providing beautiful and informative photos on Google Maps. I knew other people used Local Guides mainly for reviewing. What I had not realized was there were so many ways people could use Local Guides to contribute in other meaningful ways.

I met a woman who was concerned with women’s safety, particularly for solo women travelers, and she concentrated on flagging areas that were potentially unsafe. Another woman had added many brand-new locations on Google Maps. I was inspired by a man who happened to use a wheelchair. He has changed the way people of different ability levels experience the world by focusing his efforts around describing the accessibility of locations. Yet another man wanted to map beautiful hiking trails. Someone else logged specific details for mass transit, and in doing so, hoped to help reduce air pollution.  A woman noted water fountains because she was concerned with limiting water waste. In all, my mind was absolutely blown with the many varied initiatives that Local Guides and Google have undertaken.

Caption: A photo of Mark and me embracing in front of an orange wall at Connect Live 2018.Caption: A photo of Mark and me embracing in front of an orange wall at Connect Live 2018.Though I was only at Connect Live for a few days, it’s an experience that will stay with me for a long time. I’m looking at being a Local Guide in a whole new light. I know I will be contributing differently now that I know what others in the community are working to accomplish. It feels amazing to be part of this team that is truly changing the world.

San Francisco, CA, USA
39 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: 3 takeaways from Connect Live 2018

Fantastic @crissibeth

I did like it so much, to take part at Connect Live virtually!

Thank you for your view on this fantastic event!

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 10

Hi @crissibeth I'd love to meet you and share some photograph sessions; I'm a SV trusted photographer and also a professional event and food photographer from Rome. If you will visit Rome, let me know.

Level 10

Tôi đang ở Vietnam và muốn thấy nhiều ảnh và video về Hội nghị Loca Guides 2018, bạn có thể chia sẻ thêm được không. Cảm ơn bạn nhiều. Rất tiếc là Việt Nam có lẽ không có người đại diện để tham dự.

Level 10

Very interesting report and professional photos dear @crissibeth

I can imagine myself there. Hope next year I have this opportunity to meet you and bring you some gifts from Iran ☺️

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Beth, Congratulations! and thanks for wonderful stories you have shared with those who were physically not available in the event. You have shared greatest idea behind your suggestions i.e. "if we have desire anything can inspire us" we have to just catch it on time. Thanks and good luck!

Level 10

Rif.: 3 takeaways from Connect Live 2018

Level 6

Dear @crissibeth,

Its amazing see how many people contribute to this and really open to us to share what it's important for each one's. 

Love to be part of Local Guide.

Level 10

@crissibeth it's been a pleasure to meet you and Mark. Both of you shared great tips about taking good photos, and inspired many local guides to keep contributing and improving their photography skills.

You shared your knowledge with us and I'm so grateful for your visit.

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Level 10

Hi @crissibeth
I am the one who witnessed the miracle you say.
The background, the home country, and the color of the skin were different. But never distinguishing or discriminating, we were hugging from before we introduced ourselves!
I am a student of psychology understand that this miracle has important meaning.
We might be a map editor. However, the real situation is a perfect group that carries out ideals of the future in advance!

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper