mukeshmehta's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

did not make it to SF G Summit. I feel discouraged, demotivated and @57 i fooled my "self"

i believe every word of google...management. i trusted google..when i was send a feedback that i am "inspiration" i believed. When it was mentioned that i am TOP Guide, i felt that i must work hard..i tried more the best i can...waited for the d day 19 may..talked about it to my children and friends...encouraged them that they should become guide..you may have your busy schedule but you can spare few minutes become guide help others...

19 may no email from google....

i felt speechless and had no answers as i expected i will attend SF Summit..MY friends mentioned that we told you that you are being used by google for information, internet time, photos, they are getting everything free from you..this was sarcastic and hurting...

If not selected did the Indian CEO or the HRD department sent any courtesy email? Did they send some other form of incentives if not monetary but lets say internet time, electricity, personal valuable information you contribute as experts..Did they bother to reciproctae? i do not have any answers.. but i am feeling low and discouraged. Google is fully aware of the values we Indians hold...We are finding it difficulty in making both ends meet in this country...We struggle to keep connected with google as we beileve Google...If not SF..i think google should encourage those non visiting guides...differently..to start with send a email that for those like me who hoped to visit Google keep themselves motivated..It doesnot cost much google...we have given you our best...

21 comments
Level 10

Re: did not make it to SF G Summit. I feel discouraged, demotivated and @57 i fooled my "self&q

Appreciate your concern but please do not take any thing granted. Sorry, but we cannot assume that we are going to be selected out of thousands without even knowing the selection criteria?.

Sorry. Let us focus on

@mukeshmehta wrote:

i believe every word of google...management. i trusted google..when i was send a feedback that i am "inspiration" i believed. When it was mentioned that i am TOP Guide, i felt that i must work hard..i tried more the best i can...waited for the d day 19 may..talked about it to my children and friends...encouraged them that they should become guide..you may have your busy schedule but you can spare few minutes become guide help others...

19 may no email from google....

i felt speechless and had no answers as i expected i will attend SF Summit..MY friends mentioned that we told you that you are being used by google for information, internet time, photos, they are getting everything free from you..this was sarcastic and hurting...

If not selected did the Indian CEO or the HRD department sent any courtesy email? Did they send some other form of incentives if not monetary but lets say internet time, electricity, personal valuable information you contribute as experts..Did they bother to reciproctae? i do not have any answers.. but i am feeling low and discouraged. Google is fully aware of the values we Indians hold...We are finding it difficulty in making both ends meet in this country...We struggle to keep connected with google as we beileve Google...If not SF..i think google should encourage those non visiting guides...differently..to start with send a email that for those like me who hoped to visit Google keep themselves motivated..It doesnot cost much google...we have given you our best...

2018 summit.

Level 10

Re: did not make it to SF G Summit. I feel discouraged, demotivated and @57 i fooled my "self&q

@mukeshmehtaI was not selected but i haven't stopped contributing, when i started contributing on google maps i did not know anything like Local Guides Summit, so me not being chosen did not change anything.

Level 7

@mukeshmehta you are right, but I think for LGSummit you must be positive person. You do not have to be top contributor, or hard worker, you must understand that there were no strictly regulations for choosing participants. I was uploading photospheres, and I am top uploader of photospheres on Google. Now i understand that it is more important to collect Bagdes here to be invited to Summit, and I will not upload any new photosphere, but i will connect with other Local Guides. That is important - not your contributions, but but your connections 

Level 7

Re: did not make it to SF G Summit. I feel discouraged, demotivated and @57 i fooled my "self"

hi thanks. i do understand what you mentioned is right. But i have not yet received any official email from google. Nice of you to respond to my mail. Do you mean to say ? when i review, edit, upload, new places these contributions will not be important?. If that is not important why the points are increased?. i have been spending time and sincerely uploading as if some one out there is not a machine but google person who confirms my work and publish the information on map. This helps google. This helps people. I never expected anything in return. But gradually the level chnaged to 5. This is my 6th year doing this work positively. i do not consider my mapthalon work waste. But i also find i am repeating my work as the earlier work my identiy is lost no mention. The new registered guides in march 2017 have received badges..i have not been recognized of my efforts at my age. i did not expect any thing till the formal message came regarding filling up form for summit. i understand that there will be many aspirants. people will have done better but no email response formally that we have tried our best but must continue good work of mapping and like what you say if there is no criteria atleast guide that try earn badges make friends at google connect. How will i come to know that i am doing right for summit? i received this information just one month back that i am eligible for participation at summit and that boosted my moral when i was considered TOP guide, well for me it was self deception. i believed what they mentioned is Right they mean it as every time i upload information confirm mail was received..i have wroked in human resources department. i believed we are in the process of giving back to the society..thats why i do...also for google...today when the world does not have free time yet you volunteer for good cause i believed google will understand that they can with gratitude return this favour of information, internet time, expert comments, in any foe ..as money is no constraint to google. The fact remains we have remained connected...to google. not for SF summit but sincere work and that can be reviewed. Sinecerely if i had been HR head i would have increased number of people visiting SF Summit till Max 1000. As this is not difficult to organize in corporate world. lso, the cost to google is not much that it is debt for them. I would have invited maximum moderators, tried to connect all those who acn not make it to google by sending gifts in reciprocations to summit event. also send personal details to each individual how one can do better and help google discover the world through different eyes even though they did not make to summit as this is not competition this is virtually connecting the world better. As a true HR visionary i will also take care of future needs to regularly update maps lot of guides will be required who continue voulunteering. Things will soon change on maps in India and world as it remins changing...Guides remain to update information..i received mails from others sharing their perception about SF summit and i must continue working etc..but i do not see in the group process at guides community forum where google leads to focus on interactions, badges, whatever..nothing is clear...i understand this is the nature of complex job we are in....So i think google can invite more connect more groups by increasing size to physically invite at google office..give better ideas on how we can do better..motivate all. They can do it.

Level 7

Re: did not make it to SF G Summit. I feel discouraged, demotivated and @57 i fooled my "self&a

no i have not accepted this as solution so do not prompt me...i kudoed because Tito responded...

Level 8

@mukeshmehta

I somehow understand your feelings but keep doing what you're doing and who knows next year you may be selected.

BTW, I most of the time do not share unpredictable personal stuff with my relatives unless I am almost 💯% sure which make me most of the time a very conservative person.

So once again, don't get disappointed and I am sure the selection committee had a hard time to come up with the 150 awardees.

You may be there @58!

Level 8

Re: did not make it to SF G Summit. I feel discouraged, demotivated and @57 i fooled my "self&a

@Tito wrote:

@mukeshmehta you are right, but I think for LGSummit you must be positive person. You do not have to be top contributor, or hard worker, you must understand that there were no strictly regulations for choosing participants. I was uploading photospheres, and I am top uploader of photospheres on Google. Now i understand that it is more important to collect Bagdes here to be invited to Summit, and I will not upload any new photosphere, but i will connect with other Local Guides. That is important - not your contributions, but but your connections 

@Tito

I somewhat disagree.

I know members with many badges, 1000s kudos and very active on here (Connect) who did not make it but on the other hand, I saw announcement posts from awardees who were not very well familiar with Connect. I do not mention names but I noticed somebody did not know how to tag the other members in his responses under his announcement post. He started with just names like Tito then he tried #Tito and finally he found @Tito but I am sure his contributions and/or application and/or 1-minute video were somehow outstanding which made him a very good candidate to be selected.

Good luck for next year.

Level 7

Beautifully put, there's so many of us in the local guide community, of course we all can't be chosen.

Level 10

@Tito@EhsanD I do not agree with the idea of badges, points, videos and else referring this and this also. Probably the selection criteria was not based on single category. But it seems like a lucky draw. 😄