EhsanD's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

IRAN: It’s eRun not iRan!

Hello guides,

There are many fields that can be added to a place on Google Maps, I wish there was an option of adding an audio file to a place as the way it should be pronounced!

I am an Iranian and I have been in the US in several different cities and states since 2012 but here and there, I have encountered with some people who pronounce “Iran” as “iRan” (“i” like in an Apple product such as “iPad” or “iPod” or “iPhone”) regardless of their gender, race/ethnicity, income, education and so on. But “Iran” should be pronounced as “eRun” (“e” like in “email” or “eBook” + Run OR Ron). If it helps: ērān OR /ɪˈɹɑːn/, /ɪˈɹæn/, /aɪˈɹæn/.

I am not sad or upset about the way “Iran” is sometimes pronounced incorrectly because some people may argue the “local” pronunciation of "Japan" is “Nippon”, “Germany” should be pronounced “Deutschland” or “Austria" should be pronounced as “Österreich”, I am just trying to clarify what the “local" pronunciation of “Iran” is and better to be elsewhere.

BTW, I hope this is going to be counted as one point toward my Google Maps contribution points!

I was really surprised when I saw one of my pictures from Azadi Tower in Tehran (capital), Iran was featured in one of Google Local guides emails. Azadi Tower is one of monumental attractions of Tehran. “Azadi” means in Persian “Freedom”.

GLG email on March 3rd 2017GLG email on March 3rd 2017

Link to the photo

As I mentioned earlier, I have been in the US since 2012 and have not left the US since I had entered but I took the Azadi Tower picture in 2009, similar to all my contributions from other parts of Iran and also dozens from Russia, UAE, Thailand, Turkey which I visited prior to 2012.

Obviously, I didn’t do all these contributions for points or rewards, my main reason was spreading the [local] knowledge if I knew something, correcting if I noticed something was incorrect and adding pictures if I had. Especially for my home country; Iran. This is really important because there is a lack of sufficient information, pictures, and reviews.

BTW, I have been a paid GDrive user since 2012 and also through my academic accounts I have two unlimited GDrive accounts thus never GDrive reward was my motivation!

I reached Level 5 early March (2017) thus I am eligible to apply for #LGSummit17 so I am going to apply (I know it's almost over!) but I have seen members here with amazing contributions and passion. Being a very small part of this whole phenomenon has been my great honor and having the opportunity to meet other folks with mutual interests sounds amazing!

I am looking forward to meet you all and if I was not selected, I would apply for next events and wish you all a very happy and productive #LGSummit17.

Kind regards and good luck

Ehsan

Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect. Margaret Mitchell

Roanoke, VA, United States
15 comments
Level 10

Re: IRAN: It’s eRun not iRan!

Hi @EhsanD, Great introduce.

Specially your tip for correct pronouncing of Iran. Sure this is going to be counted as points toward your contribution on Local Guides Connect but not Google Maps points 😉

I was also surprised to see your image on the tips email from Google. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful photo on Google Maps. And I should really thanks for your goal of contributing, spreading something you know to help people. This is most important part of contributing and worth a lot.

Thanks

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
Level 8

Hi @Amiran,

Thank you.

Are you applying as well? If so, have you posted your intro?

Connect Moderator

@EhsanD Nice topic bro !!

I like your explanation.

You are so wise man i think .. 

Dont mind bro!! whats your Forum user name ???

Level 10

Yes, Hope to have this chance to meet you in the summit 😉

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
Level 8

@ShafiulB wrote:

@EhsanD Nice topic bro !!

I like your explanation.

You are so wise man i think .. 

Thank you.

What do you mean by "Dont mind bro!! whats your Forum user name ???"?

If you mean the pronunciation of  my Forum user name it is eh-sun or /ehsɑ:n/.

Good luck

Level 8

@Amiran wrote:

Yes, Hope to have this chance to meet you in the summit 😉

That would be awesome.

There are some active Iranian local guides (you are one of them) thus I hope this year, they select at least one Iranian.

Level 8

Hi Dear EhsanD

plz continue...
ممنون
Level 10

Hello @EhsanD, here Iran is pronounced as e+ran. Thank you so much for providing the pronunciation of your nation. Very nice story of google map you have. All the best for upcoming days and for LG Summit 2017 too. 

🙂

Connect Moderator

Sorry bro @EhsanD

@EhsanD wrote:

@ShafiulB wrote:

Sorry!  Bro you go a wrong track..

I want to say What's your Google Products Forum user name, 

Do you work there..?