JamesLawsonSmith's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Not able to add Category

I am trying to update a lot of local businesses and service in my area. Many are a matter of adding categories to them and moving map markers. I am having a few issues trying to add categories that are already in use at other locations but I can not seem to use them. The one in this instance is a Police Station. I have checked and Police Station is a valid category, as the one just down the road is listed as a Police Station, but when I try and list my local one as such it does not let me either on Android or Desktop. 

Capture.PNG

Castleblayney Garda Station/Golf Society, Conabury, Castleblayney, County Monaghan, Ireland
8 comments
Level 8

Re: Not able to add Category

Hello @JamesLawsonSmith

I understand your concern. But I'm afraid you're trying to do the impossible. First, the categories are NOT open for editing nor adding, there's a fix list by Google. Second, some categories are LOCKED, such as public transport and security system (e.g. police). This is both to avoid chaos and malicious edits. I hope this explanation can help you focus on different things and keep up good work. Happy mapping

Level 7

That is understandable and a great idea. How then do I add this as a Police Station when it is in fact a police station? I also understand I can not add or edit categories, as you said this would end in Chaos, but there are times that a category does need to be added or edited, so there must be a way to do this or report it. 

I am in a small town in Ireland and being the only Local Guide in the area it would be very handy to know how to actually add these. There is a Gym I have tried to add the category for and it will not let me add that even though Gym is a valid category. So sorry I do not accept this as an outright answer to my problem.  

Level 8

For the categories: there's unfortunately very little to do. You can search through the discussions here and you'll find a lot of complaints and any requests with now success. You can add yours but it seems to be an overlooked issue by Google.

For the places: if the edit is not working for whatever reason or not possible, you can send feedback on the location with content to Google. Click on the hamburger icon, choose send feedback and wrong information, then describe precisly your finding. (note: processing takes usually very long and has uncertain outcome)

Best

Level 7

Thank you for your answer.

I will do some more digging and see what the process is for this. I think there should be a process in place to cover this sort of thing.

Connect Moderator

Hi @JamesLawsonSmith

What @CaptainHook say is correct, some categories are locked, to prevent malicious editing.

Reporting through the "send a feedback" option is the correct way but, being more than 50 millions of local guide in the world, a verification of the information will take time. Add to your report the photo of the place, or a link to Street view showing the police station, it can help to speed up the process.

I am moving your post in the feedback board, for Googler to note it

Ermes

Level 9

@JamesLawsonSmith @ErmesT @CaptainHook,

What about adding as state police? 

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 8

@deepakjhic wrote:

@JamesLawsonSmith @ErmesT @CaptainHook,

What about adding as state police? 

Should be the same. But I never tried it. 

Level 7

State police would apply to North America not Ireland. 

I will try reporting this through the app and see how I get on from there.