Julian_Durchholz's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Re: Add "Mountain Peak" category to missing place submission

I hope they can add the geographical category's to google maps because their are a lot of missing mountains, trails lake, ponds, streams,plates mountain ranges. one thing the Appalachian mountain range and the Rocky mountain rage dont even have labels.  why i am complaining is because I live in the Ramopo mountain chain and the mountain i live on is one of the tallest at 1259 feet and it i sent labeled but some 900 foot mountains are.

Level 6

Ovarall Google maps are not really hiking friendly. Looks like they make decision to make street/city maps. Check out (use) the LocusMap for Hiking, much much better.

Level 5

This is very right question.  Even though such as Mt. Everest already listed on the map, there are many many peaks just near Mt. Everest without listed in the map. They have local names, and official names by local people and once we try to add there is no option or category.  For mountains, lakes, hills, and generally related to attraction or location, there must be category something like - ATTRACTION or Mountain Peak or something like that.  Let's hope. 

Connect Moderator

I think here is the same issue, like in the attached answer of LG connect moderator @ErmesT

„Local Guides are not allowed to modify the base map, .....

The solution is in this case at a higher level.

Public institutions are allowed to have a direct interaction with Google, submitting their own updated map.

https://maps.google.com/help/maps/mapcontent/basemap

Follow the link, you will be surprised“

If I‘m wrong @ErmesT please correct.

best regards 

Torben

@Julian_Durchholz

@LUCASLS101

@lpiazzi50

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Connect Moderator

The link you supplied, @TorM, can be used by institution to update the information in Google maps, adding strees or trails / path over the cartographic layer. The peaks can be added on the maps by Google only (as far as I know) and can also be categorised under "Natural Features" category. That category is not available for local Guides.

So I think the only option in this case is to "Send a Feedback"

Ermes

Level 10

There seems to be no way of adding photos of scenery to GM.

I live in SE Australia.

Lots of mountains.

Lots of scenery.

Something to anchor photos to would help a lot.

Level 7

Talskeddy, an alternative is to add a "new location" as a "hiking trail" or "tourist place" (something like that) and then, after aproval, you will be able to rate and add photos to that new location.

Google Moderator

Thanks for your helping @sertaoexpedicoes!

Just as a reminder, don't forget when responding to others make sure to tag them (by writing @ before their names) in a post so they can receive notifications that you are communicating with them.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 6

that's nice feature, but as you stated it's for institutions which due to many reasons are not interested to upload their data to google. but there are lots of supporters who can help here.. don't understand. There is still the same approval/validation process in background for any map changes, so I do not get the reasoning behind why it's not open for individual contributors. it's loss for google maps.

Level 7

@sojo any Local Guide can add a new place under the current categories (not only institutions), and those include Hiking Trails and Touristic Place (or something similar to that) . Whats's missing is the possibility to add Mountain peaks and other geographical features/categories.