MashaPS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Meet Accessibility Champion, Falguni

Caption: A photo of Falguni smiling and an illustration with the word ‘Falguni’ inside a blue frame with accessibility symbols.Caption: A photo of Falguni smiling and an illustration with the word ‘Falguni’ inside a blue frame with accessibility symbols.

Local Guide and Connect Moderator Falguni (@FalguniP) lives in Mumbai, India, and maps places that are friendly for older adults and people who use wheelchairs. From accessible washrooms and suitable seating arrangements to the height of steps and railing availability, she pays attention to every detail. This is then included in her reviews and photos on Google Maps.

We recently caught up with Falguni to learn more about what motivates her to make the map accessible for all. Read on to find out.

Why are you interested in accessibility?

I felt the importance of accessibility when I noticed older adults and people with special needs find it challenging to go to places just because those places are not accessible. Also, my family members, who have difficulty walking, need places that are accommodating.

What have you done to help add accessibility information or generate visibility for accessibility information on Google Maps?

I always try to add pictures of lifts, ramps, stairs, seating arrangements, and the ambience, which help others to know if the place is kid-friendly (with high chairs) and wheelchair-friendly (spacious to move around). I also add details about accessibility features to my reviews, especially for places like diagnostic centers, hospitals, and clinics. I make sure to mention the availability of lifts, the staff's helpfulness, and the infrastructure. For places like malls and parks, I look for nursing areas, washrooms, wheelchair service, and guides for people who are visually impaired.

Caption: A photo of Falguni and fellow Local Guides smiling during a meet-up. (Courtesy of Local Guide @FalguniP)Caption: A photo of Falguni and fellow Local Guides smiling during a meet-up. (Courtesy of Local Guide @FalguniP)

Are there any posts on Connect or meet-ups you've hosted that demonstrate your contributions around accessibility to Local Guides, Google Maps, and your community?

I have not conducted any meet-ups yet, but I shared a post about this amazing museum that I felt was the most accessible place nearby.

I was surprised that the museum had a wheelchair ramp, audio support, and an assistant to help people with visual impairment. There were information boards in Braille, headphones to listen to things, and enough space for wheelchairs to move around.

Are there any posts or Local Guides on Connect that inspire you to contribute to accessibility?

I am always amazed to see Local Guides sharing about accessibility, and I learn a lot from them.

I am very much inspired by @Erna_LaBeau and @Tejal. They both have been doing commendable work. Erna covers all areas of accessibility and inspired me to look for more than just ramps. Tejal not only maps accessible places but also does a lot to help students with visual impairment. She conducts virtual tours for them and teaches them to use the accessibility features of smartphones.

What's your tip for finding your passion through the Local Guides program?

Be a part of this community and communicate with everyone — you will see the world differently. When we see a group of amazing individuals taking little steps to make an impact, we also find our passion for doing something helpful for the people around us.

Is there anything else we should know about you?

I love animals! I also love meeting Local Guides and exploring places with them. I am very grateful to this community for finding wonderful people around the world.

Thank you for what you do, Falguni! Local Guides, do you include accessibility information in your contributions on Google Maps? Let us know below.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
46 comments
Level 9

Re: Meet Accessibility Champion, Falguni

Wow.. Congratulations @FalguniP , very well deserved!! Very happy for you for achieving another milestone here. 👌🏻

Thanks for sharing @MashaPS . 🙏🏻

Cheers! 

| Ajit Thite | “Collect moments, not things” – Aarti Khurana |
My Latest posts :- | Great Place to pause for Some Moments to Live: Ka'Soul Cafe, Pune |
Connect Moderator

Thank you so much @MashaPS for this recognition, I try to add more accessibility related information to my reviews and photos when and where possible ☺️

Connect Moderator

@ajitthite thank you so much 😊

I am working on improving my contributions towards accessibility as I noticed a simple photo or review with details can be helpful to others. 

Level 8

@FalguniP is one of them who is very close to me. And I found him here. She is very helpful and supportive. It’s great to know more about her. Her posts about food is really appreciative.

Thanks @MashaPS for sharing. 

Md Saiyen Azad (Chattogram, Bangladesh)
Guiding Stars 2022

You can check out my recent post about Sandakphu-Phalut Trekking

Instagram
Connect Moderator

Congratulations @FalguniP on the recognition.

Besides your passion for small business and food joints, this is another commendable contribution.

Hope to join you and other local guides in a meetup in Mumbai soon.

Connect Moderator

@MashaPS thanks for introducing another Accessibility champion with us. 

@FalguniP you deserve this recognition!

Happy Guiding! 

Level 10

Ynt: Meet Accessibility Champion, Falguni

Thanks for sharing @MashaPS . Every correct sharing we do on the map is very important for people, but I think accessibility sharing is much more important than the figures.thank you for that @FalguniP 

Level 8

Congratulations @FalguniP 

sharif
Level 8

Great job congraculation @FalguniP it’s really awesome introducing Thank you @MashaPS 

Mohammad Palash, Bangladesh Local Guide

Read my recents Post Here