MashaPS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Meet а Meet-up Champion: Devi Dimitra

Caption: A photo of Devi Dimitra smiling and an illustration with the words ‘Devi Dimitra’ inside a green frame with a camera, speech bubbles, a pin, a map, and a person.Caption: A photo of Devi Dimitra smiling and an illustration with the words ‘Devi Dimitra’ inside a green frame with a camera, speech bubbles, a pin, a map, and a person.

Local Guide and Helpful Hero Devi Dimitra (@Ddimitra) lives in Jakarta, Indonesia, and loves to host photo walks. She’s always on the lookout for something fun to do with her fellow Local Guides, such as going to the zoo, savoring street food at the local market, and more.

Read on to learn more about Devi’s inspiring experience as a meet-up host.

What was your first experience with meet-ups? 

My first experience was in 2018 when I met the Tangerang Local Guides. I had to drive 30 km, but it was worth it. They were nice and accepted me as a new member. They also suggested I join the Jakarta Local Guides meet-ups.

Do you have a favorite meet-up theme? Why is it your favorite?

My favorite theme is photo walks. I love walking tours, and while we visit and learn about different heritage places, we can go on a “hunt” for the best photos, videos, and 360 images.

Photo walks are easier to organize compared to other meet-ups; you don't have to reserve or book places and you can use any tools to capture the photos.

My city Jakarta has a lot of historical places and cool spots for photography. So I look for unique places to organize my meet-ups. 

Tell us about a favorite meet-up that you hosted.

I have many favorite meet-ups. Here are three of them; I hope you like them too.

My first favorite meet-up was a scavenger hunt for Google Maps’ birthday in 2020. It was two months before the COVID-19 pandemic started, so we were able to gather and have a party. I had many happy and fun moments with the Jakarta Local Guides.

My second favorite meet-up was a special virtual event during the pandemic. I collaborated with India Local Guides to organize it, and 75 Local Guides from all around the world attended.

Finally, my third favorite meet-up was a charity event. It was very touching; I was happy to learn that my Local Guide friends from Jakarta and Indonesia supported me by donating their money to buy food for orphaned children. This was also during the pandemic, and it was [one of the reasons] I became a Guiding Star in 2020.

Caption: A photo of Jakarta Local Guides wearing Google Maps t-shirts and a Google representative during the Maps’ birthday meet-up that Devi hosted. (Courtesy of Local Guide @Ddimitra)Caption: A photo of Jakarta Local Guides wearing Google Maps t-shirts and a Google representative during the Maps’ birthday meet-up that Devi hosted. (Courtesy of Local Guide @Ddimitra)

What are the three most important things you’ve learned from organizing meet-ups?

1. When you want to organize a meet-up, make sure that you already know some Local Guides in your city or country. This is a big community, so getting to know and being kind to other Local Guides is crucial. Once you make friends, people will start coming to your meet-ups.

2. Look for unique experiences and places in your city to host your meet-up. It doesn’t need to be a heritage place; you can also explore skyscrapers or the suburbs, or simply have a picnic and a knowledge sharing session.

3. Be helpful and kind as a host. I always bring snacks, drinks, or little gifts. This makes the meet-up memorable for your attendees.

What one piece of advice would you give to someone who’s about to host their first meet-up?

Get to know other Local Guides near your place first. Even if one person joins you, it’s a great achievement. You gain new buddies!

Have you attended any of Devi’s meet-ups? Do you have a question for her? Tell us in the comments below.

Want to see who else is a Meet-up Champion? Read our previous post here.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Jakarta, Indonesia
61 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Meet а Meet-up Champion: Devi Dimitra

Congratulations @Ddimitra for such a wonderful title.

I know Devi as one of the passionate and so helpful local guide for whole community , and her meet-up always gives some new learning about the program.

So happy for you Devi 🙂🙏

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Connect Moderator

Selamat ya Mom @Ddimitra 🎉🎉 Memang layak menjadi Meet-up Champion karena semangat dan kreatifitas Mom dalam membuat meet-up.

Seneng tahun lalu bisa collab bareng Mom Devi buat 2 meet-up dalam 1 hari.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/REKAP-LGCB-Food-Crawl-Meet-up-with-Nusantar... 

Keterangan : Kolase foto kebersamaan di Pasar Nusantara.Keterangan : Kolase foto kebersamaan di Pasar Nusantara.

Semangat terus untuk berkontribusi dan ditunggu meet-up selanjutnya 😊

Level 9

Congratulations 🎊 @Ddimitra

Hi @MashaPS Thank you so much for introducing us to another Meet-up Champion 🏆 

Greetings from Barishal, Bangladesh.
Level 7

OMG! What a well deserved title for you @Ddimitra . Many  Congratulations to you Mbak Devi. You are one of the cheerful lady in meetups I ever know, and indeed  the amount of time you invest in meetups, is absolutely on another level. Kudos and keep guilding 360 mum. Cheers 🥂 to the title,  and thank you @MashaPS  for the feature post.

Level 10

Namaskar,

@MashaPSThank for sharing above our dear @@Ddimitra

Devi many Congratulations 💐 happy for you..

such a perfect title for you .. Meet up champion 🏆

Level 7

Hey @Ddimitra 

That's a phenomenal task 😍😍😍 Organising such meet-ups and getting them done is truly a huge collaborative task. I have never got a chance to attend your meet-up but I think we have met virtually in someone's meetup though, when you were showing us some lovely DIY art-pieces. Thanks for sharing such lovely information with us @MashaPS Lots of love and more power to you dear. 

Lots of love and best wishes
Mayuri Kubal
#LocalGuideOfMaharashtra
#IndiaLocalGuide

Check my latest post here  5 Years of Local Guiding and many more to come!!! 

Level 8

Congratulations @Ddimitra for your extra ordinary achievement. Keep contributing and have a good day. Thanks @MashaPS for sharing with us. 

Level 10

Since I have participated in many virtual meet ups and also a few physical meet-ups, I can surely say that her presence make the meet up very LIVE...

As rightly mentioned by our @Shrut19 , the title of this post is extremely apt for her...

A great friend who can clear all worries in a single SMILE...

Hello, dear LG friend @Ddimitra, you are also a great travel companion - we together travelled more than 1,000 kms in South India alone.

You were an awesome guest at our home - we were worried whether you will like our food... you not only enjoyed but also celebrated Onam Sadya with us - hope you enjoyed it.

You are also an excellent explorer who takes pain to capture all possible FRAMES, including in 360 photos. 

I wish you a great success as a Reputed Local Guide & eagerly waiting to receive you in your next India Trip.

Best wishes...

🙏🤝

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 10