NareshDarji's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Worlds Longest and Largest Dance Festival - NAVRATRI

Navratri is celebrated for nine nights, beginning on the first day of the bright fortnight of the Hindu month Ashwin, roughly corresponding to dates in the Gregorian calendar in September/October. This also usually coincides with the end of the rainy season. Dasara/Vijayadashami, is the tenth day of Ashwin

Navratri, meaning 'nine nights', is one of the most popular and widely celebrated Hindu festivals in many parts of India. Gujarat, however, is the only state that erupts into a nine-night dance festival, perhaps the longest in the world. Each night, all over the state, villages and cities alike, people gather in open spaces to celebrate feminine divinity, referred to as Shakti.

The dance form known as Ras-Garba (also joined sometimes by dandiya, which uses small wooden sticks), comes from Lord Krishna's worship rather than Goddess worship, from the Gop culture of Saurashtra and Kutch. Stories of relationships between Krishna and the Gopis, and their emotions, also often make their way into the Ras-Garba music.

Each night the village or urban neighborhood gathers to perform a puja to one of the nine forms of Goddess. The nine nights are also broken up into sections of three; the first is for Durga, the goddess who destroyed an evil force represented by the demon Mahishasura, and who destroys human impurities; the second is for Lakshmi, the goddess of prosperity; the third is for Saraswati, the goddess of wisdom and art. It is a time to celebrate fertility and the monsoon harvest, represented by a mound of fresh soil in which grains are sown.

After the puja begins the music; it is unmistakable to those who are familiar with the style and irresistible to many. People begin to dance in a circle, whirling away till late into the night. It is not uncommon to find dancers with swords or lit flames and other spectacles.

Garba DanceGarba DanceGarba DanceGarba Dance

Sources : Internet

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Gujarat, India
42 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Worlds Longest and Largest Dance Festival - NAVRATRI

Hello Friends please check this

Worlds Longest and Largest Dance Festival - NAVRATRI

@KarenVChin @arjunsbmp @Surendra @SalmaanN @AslamMo @SarahKa @U-royFelixA 

@AradhanaB @KlaudiaB @SoniaK @

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Connect Moderator

Maha Puja (Aarti)

Connect Moderator

Last years Navratri Celebration 

Level 9

Informative nice post @NareshDarji

Navaratri 👍😊👍😊 

Connect Moderator

Thanks @OSAMA I will share with you live Garba on 23 September. 

Level 10

@NareshDarji This is great !!!!. Do you know I love your culture. Some times in the week. I watch Indian Programs to see some of their cultures and traditions. Do you know Zee TV ?.

Level 10

This is the only culture which worships the female power, which respects feminine as goddess. That's what I always appreciate.

Happy navaratri @NareshDarji

Connect Moderator

It's great news to you likea indian culture and watching indian TV shows @HelloSamsonR

Connect Moderator

Thanks @BishowvijayaP Navratri starting on 23rd September. Millions of people playing Ras-Garba during this festival up to late knight.