MahabubMunna's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Traveling to San Francisco in September

Traveling to San Francisco and looking for recommendations?

You can visit:

1. pacific ocean (muni bus no5 from civic center)
  2. civic center near UN park/Civic center bus stop
  3. fisherman wharf and pier 39 . aquarium of the bay (muni bus no "F") aquarium entry fee 24.10$
  4. At & T park area
  5. farrier market and google SF office font side Okland Bridge area if you want go little far go Muir Wooden 
Mahabub Hasan
Aquarium of the Bay, Beach Street, San Francisco, CA, United States
12 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Traveling to San Francisco in September

Places that I recommend going, outside of the usual touristy things to do, for both first timers and locals to visit to get a real flavor of San Francisco and its rich cultural diversity:

• SF MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) - It just recently reopened after a major renovation and expansion. It's walking distance from Union Square and can also be walked from the Embaracdero.
  • California Academy of Science - Among the largest museums of natural history in the world, housing over 26 million specimens.Highlights include -- a 1906 Earthquake simulator, a "living" roof,  a very famous albino alligator, named Claude, hanging out to greet museum guests, and a planetarium.  
  • Asian Art Museum - Houses one of the most comprehensive Asian art collections (covers 40 Asian countries) in the world, with more than 18,000 works of art in its permanent collection, some as much as 6,000 years old. It's located in San Francisco's Civic Center (where City Hall. Can take BART from Union Square. Or MUNI (public bus). Or walk up Market Street in the daylight hours. Will see Twitter HQ building along the way. 

Going to Japantown and the Fillmore (half day) - can ride the 38 Geary (MUNI - public bus) from Union Square

Japantown is one of the oldest and largest enclaves left in the United States of where people of Japanese descent still gather. There is the Center to visit.

A few shops to visit:

• Benkyodo - there 3 places left in the Bay Area that still make Japanese mochi and manju by hand. Benkyodo has been around since 1906 is the best of the three (the other two are in San Jose and Sacramento) in my opinion. Have to go early or call in for their freshly made strawberry or blueberry mochi (real fruit inside) because they both sell out quickly. In the corner of the store they have a diner section that feels like you step back in time to the 1950s.
  • Soko Hardware - Soko is a family-owned business that is a true treasure in the Japanese American community. All kinds of unique finds (Japanese cooking, Bonsai gardening, origami, porcelain, ceremonial items).
  • Daiso or Ichiban-kan - Both are Japanese dollar stores. If you are familiar with Yen stores, you will be in for a treat. You will see locals shop at these two places. So much fun, so much stuff to look at for you, your home, office, etc.  

Walking down from Japantown, you will walk toward Fillmore Street. It has a cool, local vibe filled with both locally owned stores and restaurants and expensive boutique stores. Never had a bad meal on this street. For you burger lovers, I like going to Palmer's Tavern. They serve the burgers with these really interesting tasting Indian curry flavored french fries. It has an old school neighborhood bar vibe, including animal heads hanging from the wall. If you like to go thrifting or on the hunt for vintage, there is a big Goodwill store to browse through. 

I have other places to visit if you are looking for non-Touristy SF things to do if you want to spend your time living like a local. I will post again shortly.

Note: Thanks @Corrie and @TraciC for pointing out how to link and tag using this new forum. Much easier (and cleaner) linking. I like! 

View solution in original post

Level 10

I'm planning to visit area around Golden Bridge 😃

From Saint Petersburg with ♥ 

Level 10

See you in SF, buddy.

Connect Moderator

See you there

Please mention me with @LudwigGermany on your reply, so I get notified

Connect Moderator   Maps   Instagram   Twitter 

Level 8

Legion of Honor if you're interested in museums, Coit Tower, Walt Disney Museum, and of course, Alcatraz. These are just some spots I plan on visiting.

Googler

Here are my recommendations (with links to Google Maps, of course!):

• Lombard Street (a must for fantastic photos and at the top of Hyde and Chestnut just one street over, you have good views of Alcatraz on a clear day)
  • Chinatown or at least Eastern Bakery for a pork bun
  • Alcatraz, for sure! In fact, I've been on the day tour but am doing the night tour with my brother this next visit. You have to book the tickets in advance though and for September, they're already taking bookings
  • In-N-Out Burger, enough said
  • AT&T Park if you like baseball or sports stadiums, it's worth a visit to take the tour

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 5

You too buddy! 😂😜😘🤗

Level 5

@CharlieS wrote:
Legion of Honor if you're interested in museums, Coit Tower, Walt Disney Museum, and of course, Alcatraz. These are just some spots I plan on visiting.

Definitely Alcatraz at Nite. Shall we book already? 

Level 5

Tracy I cannot wait Lombard Street! Highlight of the trip! And few people were discussing to do Alcatraz @ nite. Wouldn't it be fun if you joined us? 

Former Google Contributor

@MahabubMunna @Ania @Charlie_S @TraciC @Luis_D

Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 2.43.02 PM.png

Pro Tip for helping make this community more helpful and easy to navigate:

When asking for advice about a place (in this case, San Francisco). The original poster should tag "San Francisco" as the location. This allows the topic to show up for people who live in San Francisco or people searchign for conversation about that location. 

Subsequent posters/replies should tag the specific place they are recommending (or one of them). This adds that place to the map in the top right hand corner. For example, I recommend checking out Super Duper Burger for the best burger in SF, so I am going to add that to the location field which will then add it to the map 🙂 

Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 2.41.57 PM.png