MedRidaZ's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

The Caves of Hercules, a wonderful place to visit in Tangier !!

Hi Lgs Familly !

I like to share with you guys a wonderful place to visit in Tangier Morocco,The cave Of hercules !!

Just 10 minutes from the center of Tangier (in car), you can find one of the most Tourist attractions in The city, apart from their great beauty and archaeological interest, they are reputed to have been the dwelling place of Hercules who founded Tangier and made the Straits of Gibraltar, with one blow from his sword .

Located about 100 meters from the Robinson Plage Holiday Village and surrounded by some expensive cafes, the cave has been used as a dwelling since Neolithic times. Archaeological excavations have produced human bones and flints. For a long time locals quarried stone here, then, in the first half of the 20th century they were used as brothels, until it was found that tourists were a more lucrative venture.

It is recommended that one visits the caves very early in the morning to avoid being hassled by the locals.

caves-of-hercules-morocco-davidsbeenhere2.pngcaves-of-hercules-morocco-davidsbeenhere4.pngcaves-of-hercules-morocco-davidsbeenhere - Copie.png

Information references by Tony Oldham/ pictures by David Hoffmann

Cap Spartel, Tanger-Tétouan, Maroc
64 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
Solution

Re: The Caves of Hercules, a wonderful place to visit in Tangier !!

Congratulations @MedRidaZ!!!!

I am very happy you have enjoy your holidays 🙂

I am going to add something...

The most famous hero of Greek mythology, after murdering his family had to carry out a series of twelve works as a penance. It was his tenth work  the one that brought him to the Iberian Peninsula (Spain) to fight with the giant Gerión.  In several places there are archaeological remains.

There were many feats and that's why we found stories all over the Mediterranean. I agree with you @OSAMA .

The Columns of Hercules  (as @MedRidaZ says ) were located in the Strait of Gibraltar and marked the border of the known and non-known world  for the navigators of the Mediterranean sea, between Europe and Africa. 

I live in Andalusia (South of Spain ) and he is part of our flag . With the inscription in Latin "Dominator Hercules Fundator" and "Andalusia by itself and for Spain and the Humanity".

Flag of AndalusiaFlag of Andalusia

And in many official documents we included this drawing in the lower left part of the papers.

I do it in my job. So Hercules is part of our culture too...

Escudo-verde-andalucia.jpg

It seems that little by little we will all rebuild his live 😉 

View solution in original post

Level 10

@MedRidaZ This is really beautiful and amazing. I never knew there was another Hercules as well in Tangier. Wow impressive. Thanks for sharing this information with us 👏👏👏. I have a lot to learn from it. 

Level 8

Hi @HelloSamsonR !

Yeah bro! we have our hercules in Tangier, just come to visit me & i going to show you the best of Tangier tourist Attraction !!

@HelloSamsonR wrote:

@MedRidaZ This is really beautiful and amazing. I never knew there was another Hercules as well in Tangier. Wow impressive. Thanks for sharing this information with us 👏👏👏. I have a lot to learn from it. 

Level 10

Yes @MedRidaZ Very soon I will be looking forward to visit you and many more local guides in their communities as well. Thanks once again for the information about Hercules 👏👏

Level 8

You're welcome my dear @HelloSamsonR & have a great week 🙂 

@HelloSamsonR wrote:

Yes @MedRidaZ Very soon I will be looking forward to visit you and many more local guides in their communities as well. Thanks once again for the information about Hercules 👏👏

Level 9

Woooow @MedRidaZ , Wonderful post bro

Congratulations 🏆🏆🏆 for Featuring 👍🙌🙏🙌🎉🎉

Level 9

Level 8

Thanks you so much my dear @OSAMA !!

@OSAMA wrote:

Level 9

@MedRidaZ

Congrat bro this is your first Featuring post 😁🎉🎉🎉🎉

@MedRidaZ wrote:

@OSAMA wrote:

Level 8

Yeah bro ! 😍😍😍 i'm so so happy for that my dear @OSAMA !!

@OSAMA wrote:

@MedRidaZ

Congrat bro this is your first Featuring post 😁🎉🎉🎉🎉

@MedRidaZ wrote:

@OSAMA wrote: