GeorgeMannPhoto's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Photography tips for the Thai Songkran Celebrations

Songkran is the Thai New Year Celebration and is the most popular and well attended holiday celebration every year. The Official dates for the celebration are I believe the 13th and 14th of April, but the celebrations will probably last from the 12th to the 16th. Different parts of the country actually have slightly different versions so I have actually seen celebrations taking place over a two week period, because I was traveling cross country.

There are two main things to photograph, the wild parties in the streets, which involve a lot of water throwing, and the parade of temple Buddha statues being paraded though the town, bathed and generally celebrated with a parade of local officials, mostly in traditional dress.

I will be in Chiang Mai this year and here is how I plan to photograph the holiday.

1. I will make sure that I use camera equipment which can handle being splashed with water.

2. I will ride my bicycle around the town to various temples to see how they are celebrating. There will be a lot of decorations, praying to the Buddha statues and in many temples there will be a large sand chedis that people can contribute to by adding sand to the chedi. Since temples are always in need of funds for various projects, at this time there will be bags or buckets of sand that can be purchased so you can participate in the building of the sand chedi.

3. Just riding my bicycle along the road, I like the roads that are near the river, people will ask if they can splash me with water, it is a very nice gesture and I will oblige everyone with a smile and ask to take some photos.

4. The main parade of Buddha statues will take place on Charoen Muang Road between the train station and the Thapae Gate entrance to the old city. The best places to photograph the parade are near the bridge that crosses over the river (both sides of the bridge) and at Thapae Gate.

5. Since the parade is long and slow I will probably get a table at a restaurant on the parade route and walk out to the road when I want to take photos.

6. Unless you have 100% waterproof camera equipment, I would avoid the areas where the younger foreign tourists hang out to celebrate. It can get pretty wild and can occasionally get out of hand.

Most of all enjoy, it is a very good time of the year in Thailand.

Songkran protection on the bicycleSongkran protection on the bicycleDancer in Songkran ParadeDancer in Songkran ParadeBuddha statue being bathed in the paradeBuddha statue being bathed in the paradeWaterguns for saleWaterguns for saleBuddha statues being bathed in waterBuddha statues being bathed in waterTradition Thai clothing at SongkranTradition Thai clothing at SongkranGeorge Lienemann

Chiang Mai, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai, Thailand
5 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Photography tips for the Thai Songkran Celebrations

Hey @GeorgeMannPhoto,

Welcome to Connect.

Thanks for the long and informative posts. Good luck on your travels in Thailand and please do share some experiences with us here.

I would like to invite you to Introduce Yourself — April 2018 in our intro topic. I am sure the Community will welcome an experienced traveler like yourself.

Best regards,

Georges

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Level 8

Thank you very much GeorgeHR, I will do that.

Level 10

@GeorgeMannPhoto@GeorgesHR I have tried and tried to get to Thailand during Songkran, but haven't made it yet. It's probably the most amazing time for Thailand minus the super hot weather. Then again, that's what all the water is for. 🙂

At the same time, there are so many other communities celebrating their New Year at the same time this weekend. Have a peek this post earlier. 🙂

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/A-Thousand-New-Year-Greetings-April-13-15-2...

Level 8

Thank you very much for the comment. I hope you can make it to Chiang Mai one of these Thai New Years. Thank you also for the link to other New Years celebrations.

Level 6

The waterproof camera equipment is the most important thing when you are in the water war. You're very well-prepared. Hope to see your Songkran photos.

- Kiki from Thailand -