PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Not many days to go before we know if we're going to CL - what will you do in San Francisco?

It occurred to me today that there is less than a month to go before the candidates for Connect Live 2018 are announced and they informed via email. In the mean time I hope you're continuing to contribute here on Connect keeping in mind the Core Values of Connect and of course contributing quality reviews, photos and edits on Maps. Something else to do while you wait is research the city of San Francisco using Maps and think about what you might like to visit if you're lucky enough to be chosen. The event is three days, it is highly advisable to travel at least a few days before the event so that you get over your jet lag before the big event begins. 

Here are a few things you might like to visit based on my experiences...

Yosemite as seen from Glacier PointYosemite as seen from Glacier Point

Lots of places like Yosemite need advance bookings if you want to stay there. October is a less busy time to go because it is very cold at night but they days are beautiful. The park is about five hours drive from San Francisco. It is possible to get there entirely by public transport but it will take you all day in each direction with various changes of service. It is best to get to the park before 8am so you can find parking. You're not likely to leave until after dark. Food is reasonably priced in the park but if you're on a budget then bring your own picnic lunch. If you can, stay in the park for several days. I was there for three days and nights in 2017 and to be honest I saw about 2% of the place even though I hiked every day.

View of the bay from Indian Rock Park BerkeleyView of the bay from Indian Rock Park Berkeley

For something cheaper and simpler but equally breathtaking why not take in a sunset from Indian Rock Park in Berkeley looking across the bay towards San Francisco and The Golden Gate Bridge. You can easily walk here from Berkeley BART station or catch the bus that runs quite close.

Best Summit EverBest Summit Ever

Don't forget that the other people going to Connect Live will also be out and about. This lot are exploring the Maritime district from Fisherman's Wharf back towards the city itself. By the way, the last event was called Summit and its motto was Best Summit Ever, well it was because there aren't any more. Now it's Connect Live :).

That Balloon Really Gets Around, No Clowns PleaseThat Balloon Really Gets Around, No Clowns Please

You might visit Chrissy Field for another view of the Golden Gate Bridge iconic for the city (although IMHO the Bay Bridge is actually prettier).

Bay Bridge from the Google SF OfficeBay Bridge from the Google SF Office

No visit is complete without a perve at the San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge from the top floor of the Google San Francisco Office.

California State Railroad MuseumCalifornia State Railroad Museum

Maybe you might hop an Amtrak to Sacremento and visit the California State Railroad Museum and visit the waterfront there.

Group HugGroup Hug

Or maybe you just want to group hug @TraciC

Whatever you want to do, San Francisco and the surrounding areas of California and further have something to offer you.

Now you just have to think - have I done enough to join the lucky few, enough to be noticed? Is my quality and consistency over the last year good enough? 150 isn't many when you think that there are over 50 million Local Guides. Good luck and I hope to see you in San Francisco!!

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WHEN YOU GO?

San Francisco, CA, USA
87 comments
Level 10

Re: 25(ish) days to go before we know if we're going - what will you do in San Francisco?

25 days? Soooo long 🙂

Anyway, 

Yosemite as seen from Glacier PointYosemite as seen from Glacier Point

I will be on the top of the mountain in the center, next monday, so for me, #lgconnect18 could be something different! 🙂

I'd want to enjoy, and have fun, have a drink or two, with all my friends, that's the main goal.

I'd like to be very sad, on my return flight, that's the plan.

Level 9

Re: 25(ish) days to go before we know if we're going - what will you do in San Francisco?

Hello

Thanks for the story about last event Local Guides Connect..thanks that you share your expierence.

I don't think about'' What will do in San Francisco'',I do as much as possible here on line --share my photos and expierence,read letters,different topic and post.I want to get a great expierence.

Best wishes,

Connect Moderator

That mountain in the centre is Half Dome @LucioV that is quite a climb :). Good luck with that too because only about 200 people per day are allowed to make the climb. There is a bit of a lottery to be able to do it.

Connect Moderator

Did you put in an application @helga19? Going to the event in SF is probably the biggest perk you can receive as a Local Guide. It is hard to convey how much fun each of the previous events has been. I made friends at those that I continue to talk to all over the world.

Connect Moderator

@PaulPavlinovich

I'll set a world record, I will moon walk Golden Gate bridge while taking 360 photos

😛

Connect Moderator

Go for it @OmerAli see if you can get up here 😉

Golden Gate From The TopGolden Gate From The Top

Regards Paul

Connect Moderator

Thanks @PaulPavlinovich

That's the idea. I hope I make it this year 🙂

Googler

What a lovely post, @PaulPavlinovich! I love the photo of me and @JuanCh in the group hug, too! We look SO happy!!!! 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 8

@PaulPavlinovich oh Paul I am hoping and hoping to get selected! 🙂 It will be my first summit experience! If I do get selected, I'll extend my trip and solo travel across the USA! Alaska is on my bucket list of places so I hope to get there too. Then I'd like to visit British Columbia and then Banff!

Call me crazy... but these are on my mind! 

Good luck to you!