JessicaA's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Hanoi Trip Report

Hi everyone!  I recently returned to NYC from an incredible trip to Vietnam and Thailand.  Hanoi was definitely one of the highlights.  From the beautiful chaos of the streets of the Old Quarter with scooters whizzing and honking by to the French colonial architecture, there was so much culture to take in.  

As far the food, Vietnamese cuisine is unbelievably delicious. In Hanoi, you'll see a lot of pork, chicken and of course the beloved fish sauce for dipping.  Non fish lovers need not fear,  it taste nothing like fish as it's mixed appropriately with water, sugar, garlic and sometimes chilis.   The street food was the standout.  If ever in Hanoi and you want to get a taste of authentic cuisine, you definitely want to hit the streets!  We did a street food tour and got the inside scoop of where to go for some of Hanoi's best dishes.  The stalls of the old quarter are where it's at.  You can tell a good place by the locals eating of course and how packed the place is at meal hours. Pop in, grab one of those mini stools and enjoy.   Most of them do one thing and do it very well.  For example, they'll offer bun cha or dumplings and serve just that one thing until they sell out for the day.  I've included some of my favorite dishes below.. Enjoy!!  

delicious pork and crab double fried dumplings with fish sauce and herbsdelicious pork and crab double fried dumplings with fish sauce and herbs

a dessert of tapioca and banana with crushed ice on the side for texturea dessert of tapioca and banana with crushed ice on the side for texture

noodles with peanuts and herbsnoodles with peanuts and herbs

double fried tofudouble fried tofu

egg coffees!  vietnamese coffee with condensed milk is divine but this is another rendition with egg!  creamy deliciousness. a real treat.egg coffees! vietnamese coffee with condensed milk is divine but this is another rendition with egg! creamy deliciousness. a real treat.

coffee culturecoffee culture

pho with beefpho with beef

bun cha!bun cha!

5 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Hanoi Trip Report

@JessicaA wow...!!! its  a happy  long journey ...

Have u made any My map of your journey .. 

we want to  follow your trip ... (If U dont mind)

Bcoz we all follow you & other GooglerS  or moderatorS .

Your photographs are also admirable .... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jessica,

AmazingJourney, do you have any Map for your Trip.

Regards,

Goud

Level 8

Wellcome to Hanoi, Vietnam

If you back to there or someone else.

I can take you around to get this again or something new special.

Tks 

Level 10

Welcome to Hanoi,

I live in Hanoi so if you have time to travel here again in the future, please let me know, I will show you out as many places as possible. Thank you for loving the local food here.

Hope to see you some day.

LG Summit Attendee in 2016 ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Regional Lead before 2017
Level 4

Now at Sai Gon, we call bun cha = bun Obama  ^ ^