iyudhi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Re: General TIps & Etiquette for Foreign Travelers in Japan

Hello @iyudhi, unfortunately people get frustrated looking for a bin and then throw their trash on the street. Bomb or trash on the street? This is the vicious cycle 😞

I know you are not familiar with women’s bathrooms, but this may be interesting to include in your post.

When women use a bathroom in Japan, they may find an “Otohime” (Sound Princess) attached to the wall of the toilet. The device creates a loud flushing sound so women can hide a sound of nature. There is a tradition in Japan of masking the noises made when women use the toilet. They used to flush to cover the noise, but this way they don’t need to waste water.

Level 8

Re: General Tips & Etiquette for Foreign Travelers in Japan

Hi @iyudhi

ऐसा लगता है कि आपने मेरे लिए यह पोस्ट और

जापान की आने वाली यात्रा को लिखा था। बहुत बहुत धन्यवाद !!!!!

Vijendrathakur
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very Brilliant piece @iyudhi. Thank you for making the time to share this. @Atsukot @YumiSapporo@HiroyukiTakisawa@Christine_T
Thanks for contributing. 

Level 8

Wow brother

9 level

Congratulations

Vijendrathakur
Anonymous
Not applicable

In Tokyo rainy season was declared over 3 days ago. Hot, hot, hot summer season of Japan has come! Besides it's sooooooo humid.

I wonder if you can endure that?

These are special tips that might be helpful for people visiting Japan during the summer time.

• 1. Prepare for sudden localized torrential rain.

pic.1

Caption; ゲリラ豪雨;Localized torrential rain

Recently, we have a lot of localized torrential rain "ゲリラ豪雨"(Similar pronunciation is "Guerrilla-Go-wow") in Japan. It suddenly approaches to us. Any umbrellas are useless and will be blown away in a moment. Hide and protect yourself until passing away.

pic.2

Caption; Screenshot of Safetytips iOS app App store/Play store

You should install "Safety tips" app(both iOS and Android available) before leaving your country. It notifies you EEW, Tsunami Warnings, Volcanic Warnings, Weather Warnings, Heat illness Warnings and Civil Protection Information(incl. sudden missile attacks) issued in Japan at free of charge. You can use it in English, simplified and traditional Chinese, Korean, and Japanese.

• 2. Use the personal fan"扇子" to get you cool.

扇子(Similar pronunciation is "Sense") is very useful and foldable "personal fan" that I use everyday outside.

pic.3

Caption; I can never live in summer without 扇子.

You can buy colourful 扇子 at 100Yen Shop, as per DAISO, Seria, Can Do...etc.

pic.4

Caption; At the corner of 扇子, Daiso

How about souvenirs? It costs JPY108 incl. Tax.

pic.5

Small electronic fan in 100Yen ShopSmall electronic fan in 100Yen Shop

You can buy also some kinds of electronic fan in 100Yen shop. but some of these goods may cost JPY300-500. Watch carefully!

• 3. How to survive heat waves, at emergency situation.

pic.6

かき氷 soda syrupかき氷 soda syrup 

かき氷(Similar pronunciation is "Cut-Key-Call") is a Japanese summer desert made of shaved ice, served with various syrups, and sometimes with assorted toppings. It must get you cool from inside of the body at once and avoid becoming dehydrated.

pic.7

"氷" flag of signage"氷" flag of signage

Before being in emergency situation, you should find out "氷" flag of signage to get some of delicious かき氷 with your favorite syrups a.s.a.p..("Soda" would be better for you.)

pic.8

Caption; 柿氷; shaved and sliced ice with special persimmon syrup

"柿氷" and "かき氷" are same pronunciations in Japanese but quite defferent deserts. You can enjoy 柿氷(shaved and sliced ice with special persimmon syrup) throughout the year. That's why I recommend this for all the visitors in Kansai area of Japan

柿氷 is sold only at the cafe shop"平宗" near the Horyu-Ji 法隆寺,that was inscribed together with Hokki-ji as a UNESCO World Heritage in 1993.

You can check the details of 平宗 in my Lists of Places "IKOMA Food Lover's Itinerary"

Good luck! and hope this helps.

Toyo

Connect Moderator

Great post. The only thing I would add is that if someone offers you a card, extend both hands palm up and accept it. Always. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PaulPavlinovich wrote:

Great post. The only thing I would add is that if someone offers you a card, extend both hands palm up and accept it. Always. 🙂

G'Day @PaulPavlinovich,

Card? What's that? Maybe it is 名刺? (Result of Google Translation is "Business Card")

We usually use Line app to communicate with each other rather than exchanging cards. Preparing QR code of Line account would be better.

Thanks,

Toyo

Connect Moderator

Hehe @Anonymous you are a modern Japanese it's been many years since my last visit, then it was cards. Thank you for your advice I must look into that App.

Regards Paul

Level 9

@iyudhi Wow! What an awesome and helpful post! I visited Japan in 2016 and am planning on going back there for the olympic games! I absolutely love this country! Another useful tip is: go to an Onsen! And don‘t give a tip in restaurants! 

I ❤️ being a local guide! My contributions
My Connect Profile
Level 3

Definitely agree with the stuff written above. 

Just returned from my first trip to Japan. One thing I noticed was even before we'd left, there is so much information both from official and unofficial sources online. This was probably the trip I've been most equipped for. When I arrived in Tokyo, I already knew about which areas, subway lines and places of interest I wanted to go to and how to navigate them. 

I used Tripadvisor, Japan-Guide, Hyperdia (VERY useful for trains), Japan Talk, Tokyo Cheapo among many others. 

I read a lot of advice about making sure you buy a JR Pass before travelling. It's important to first plot out your potential trip and then run the journey's by this calculator: https://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/ . As we were going for 14 days, we were told to buy a 14 day pass, however after running our journeys by the calculator and also figuring that we'd only be using Shinkansen for 7 days, we were able to get away with a 7-day pass which is obviously a lot cheaper.

If you're going to be using the subway/metro a lot (most people do), then you should buy a Pasmo/Suica card - these are like the contactless cards you see in other cities such as Oyster in London. You can purchase them from most train stations, we bought ours at the airport in Haneda. You can also buy items from vending machines and shops with them which is very handy. I noticed our Pasmo/Suica cards didn't work in Osaka and they had their own version of these (forget the name), so we purchased one and used one there. The good thing about these cards is when you're leaving you can give them back at the appropriate outlet and get your deposit back.

We found buying a Japanese SIM card very useful and I would recommend either buying one of those or rent a Pocket Wifi if your budget allows. Some AirBnBs and hotels loan you these for free so it's worth finding out before buying anything. We purchased our data SIM cards from Haneda airport (make sure your mobile phone is unlocked) and used them pretty much straight away. As we are heavily reliant on maps and other travel related apps here at home, we knew navigating new cities would require data. 

From a foreigner's point of view, I would say that the Japanese people are very friendly, helpful and accommodating. There were times when we were looking at our phones or signs in the train stations and people would approach us to ask if we needed any help (genuine people too, not the hustlers we may come across in other places!) Respect and manners are important. As mentioned by the OP, making loud noises/talking loudly on trains, pushing, queue jumping, not respecting personal space are all things which don't go down well. The place is very clean and it's good to maintain this. 

All in all, Japan is one of the, if not THE best place I've traveled to in the world! I didn't set out to bombard people with lots of information so apologies if that's the case! If anyone has any specific questions about my trip please send me a message or reply to this post. 

We visited: Tokyo, Osaka, Nara, Kyoto, Miyajima Island (JR Pass covers this and is well worth the visit!), Hiroshima and are very much into food and can recommend lots of food places/dishes to try. Among my favourites were, Tokyo, Osaka (Namba food market), Matcha galore, sashimi, tempura, okonomiyaki, maple cake, Hiroshima museum, tea ceremony, bowing deers in Nara, sake, yakitori, gyoza, sumo, bamboo forest, izakaya, temples, ahh there's too much! Let's leave it there for now!

IMG_1413_exported_6270104868762355105.jpg