EhsanD's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Abandoned Places [not museums though]

Hi @EhsanD I am very interested in this topic. I have some photos in my archive. This place is in Prague, Prokopské walley

https://goo.gl/maps/cLcKt7c6ZSN2

opu0.jpgopu03.jpgopu04.jpg

Level 8

@38160210003 wrote:

@EhsanD,

I LOVE abandoned places!  I keep wanting to go on an "abandoned places" tour on the Northern Neck in Virginia -- I see them all the time on my way to visit family in Fairport.

Last April I was far from home at Little Harbour in the Bahamas and found this abandoned gem of a lighthouse you might enjoy:

https://goo.gl/photos/4N6stAzZrdRsV4u59

By the way, that abandoned butcher's home in your post is super creepy...thanks for sharing! 

Hi @PeterR61,

Thanks for sharing the lighthouse pictures.

Is the "abandoned places" tour on the Northern Neck in Virginia such a thing?

How may I join? I live currently in southern Virginia (Roanoke) but I usually travel to Baltimore at least once per month.

What about an "Abandoned Photo-walk" or "Abandoned Meet-up" in Virginia?

I like the "Abandoned Meet-up" phrase though!

Please share more if you have in your archive.

Level 8

@Csaba wrote:

Unfortunately my job does not allow me to "enjoy" these places but I have to fine the owners who neglected such a (protected) palace of the 19th Century that was in a perfect condition about five years ago: 

I cannot reveal the exact location (and the aerial photo on the maps does not even show the poor condition of the place now) but anyway. 

I visit such places on a weekly basis...

Why did they neglect the palace?

Is the maintenance fee that much high?

For which organization do you work (I mean type not the name or location)?

Level 8

Hey @PeterR61,

This might be of your interest as well:

Abandoned in Virginia

Level 8

@TimBull wrote:

Just outside Manchester UK. There is the pretend castle. (Built only a 100ish years ago) which just got abandoned and burnt down. It's quite cool to explore and as its a fake castle it's not a tourist attraction so you can explore it for free. And it's views over the lake. 

Liverpool Castle
Lever Park, Rivington, Bolton

https://goo.gl/maps/YUvkGr7VUKk

Thanks for sharing the story and photos.

Something was almost common in the comments on Google Maps: "Great place to walk with the family and dogs"

But that's somewhat a sad story:

The Rivington replica was commissioned in 1912 by William Hesketh Lever (Lord Leverhulme), a philanthropist and the founder of Lever Brothers (now Unilever). It is a folly and was never intended to be completed. It was meant to look like a ruin that had stood for years. Work on the project was slow with only a handful of labourers allocated to it. Construction work ceased when Lever died in 1925 and the castle never reached the state of completion he envisaged. Source

I think there should be many more abandoned castles and palaces in the UK (original and probably replicas).

Level 8

@ErmesT wrote:

Thanks @EhsanD for your kind invitation.

Yes, i have seen something, sometime i've taken a photo, abandoned buildings are intriguing, because everyone have a story.

Abandoned is a particular word, indicating a status. Sometime i like to investigate also about the reasons.

Two days ago a went in the area of a famous battle of the First World War, to take photos, and, close to the "Monumento a Francesco Baracca" there is an house (probably injuried one century ago)

The next photos are about an industrial complex, abandoned in the year 2004.

Four year later, they decided to transform it in a commercial area, recovering also somme of the beautiful building of the oldest part of the factory.

The photos have been taken during the demolition of part of the factory (i have the full story of this).

After two years, everythig was stopped, because of the bankruptcy of the new company.

Now the place is a big wood, with a lot of abandoned ruins

Ciao @ErmesT,

Thanks for sharing these two cases.

And I also think about the reasons that those buildings, stations, stadiums (there are many of them in Athens, please check here) and amusement parks.

There is a famous abandoned amusement park in Chernobyl:

The 2nd story was also interesting which they demolished some old buildings almost for nothing! The craziness of humane!

May you please share a Google Maps link to the site?

Thanks

Level 8

@LucioV wrote:

Yeaaahhh! I love abandoned places! First, in the last years, i was looking for these places as set for model book photography, then they started to interest me with or without models!

I should have some collection in some place!

Ciao @LucioV,

What kinds of models? May you share some from that era?

Level 8

@FrankS wrote:

Thanks for the invite. I have a You Tube channel that I post a new video of an abandoned mine each week http://bit.ly/BCMINES with mines we always know why they were abandoned.......the ore was no longer there in sufficient quantities to be mined economically!

single jack.jpg 

Thank you @FrankS for sharing the photos.

Where is the location of the last photo ^^^? Is it showing the functioning period of one of already abandoned mines?

Your YouTube channel is also amazing. Actually your videos are really informative.

But are your mine explorations safe? Because as you said in one of videos, these mines are really aged and maybe their structure cannot bear new forces after ages. And also I am curious to know whether you have seen any signs of living animals in the mines besides probably bats?

And you have a great beard! 

Level 8

@MiroslavK wrote:

Hi @EhsanD I am very interested in this topic. I have some photos in my archive. This place is in Prague, Prokopské walley

https://goo.gl/maps/cLcKt7c6ZSN2

Thank you @Myrathor for sharing the link and photos. Yes, based on the graffiti on the walls it seems to be close to urban area.

Something about your shared Google Maps link, I do not know at certain level of zooming in, the pin on the map disappears!

Level 8

Hi @EhsanD The exact place is at 50.0306364N, 14.3310994E

https://www.google.cz/maps/@50.0306037,14.3316973,215m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=cs