LucioV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Official Category list

Hi all, when you need to refer to a category list, please, refer to this page: https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en

Here you will find an actual list of all categories, for each country: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10QhWFmHYhZI7FL7cQZUqkDkRbexPVthEIfp8iibhA3s/edit?usp=sharing

Not sure all of these categories are available through Maps, but certainly are available on Google MyBusiness.

24 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Official Category list

Hi @EjazShah,

This is not a list for Maps.  It is a list for GMB, which has differences, and it is outdated even for GMB.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 7

Hi @LucioV, Is the list is the updated version and includes all latest categories according to country / region? 

Level 10

@EjazShah wrote:

Hi @LucioV, Is the list is the updated version and includes all latest categories according to country / region? 

Story no additional informations on this list

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hi @EjazShah,

This is not a list for Maps.  It is a list for GMB, which has differences, and it is outdated even for GMB.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 7

@EjazShah wrote:

Short answer: No.  Neither Google nor any user has published a list that meets your specifications.

Level 7

Well @Flash & @sputnikjim, I am going to raise this request today 😞

Connect Moderator

Such a list has been requested many times for a decade; thus I'm afraid it's not something likely to be provided.

Level 7

Bro, @Flash Still will keep following up as we are not requesting for perks but something that is related to this program and there is no cost to Google  to facilitate volunteers with this feature. 

Level 10

@EjazShah wrote:

Bro, @Flash Still will keep following up as we are not requesting for perks but something that is related to this program and there is no cost to Google  to facilitate volunteers with this feature. 

Yes, the question is not answered, and my first post wasn't a question at all 🙂

@Flash please, unmark the topic as answered, for more support from Googlers. Thanks

Connect Moderator

@EjazShah wrote:

I too am a volunteer.  As I stated, volunteers have asked for such a list for many years.  Google is aware of those requests, but so far has chosen not to provide such a list.

This is likely due to the fact that such a list would be constantly changing, and thus would need constant upkeep.  I personally would prefer that the resources be spent on creating more advanced mapping features as opposed to working on maintaining such a list.

In addition, such a list is not needed and kind of pointless.  It is not needed as you can use the category box within an edit to see what categories are available; it searches as you type.  Included in that search is any category that has that word anywhere in the category, making it superior to a downloaded list that is alphabetized.

It is pointless because a downloaded list would instantly become outdated, just as the GMB list has become.