OnyedikaBenjaminJ's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: Map marker

GreggG,

Going by the current set of guideline as you describe, how could one look at marking a large university/campus with multiple buildings....esp to determine the correct walking distance between building pins on the campus

Level 9

@TravelingZ @LucioV @Csaba mind you there could be more than one entrance to an establishments like some schools, and you have just one marker. Haha

Level 9
Level 9

@TravelingZ wrote:

how could one look at marking a large university/campus with multiple buildings....esp to determine the correct walking distance between building pins on the campus

Pins are markers for POIs and individual buildings are unlikely to have their own listing unless it was for a distinct department (with it's own phone number for example). If a building did meet that criteria then you'd place the marker in the middle of it as with any POI

Level 9

I think i will go will go with @Flash and @Pea

Level 8

Hi everyone,

Mapping requires personal knowledge or what you can see in the Google supplied imagery. The rules of the map require the business to be placed in the centre of the space they use for business. I'm unsure how people can be adding places to the map without visiting them and knowing where they are located. This would include inside malls and other places. It sounds like people might be taking pictures or looking up mall directories and simply just adding places that may be missing, this is not appropriate. If you happen to have visited the place, know its there but can't seem to remember where in the space it was, the appropriate location would be the centre of the building. You might also see corrections from say the road or the parking lot to the centre of the building as this is an improvement that can be made without personal knowledge this is acceptable.

Google Maps Platinum Product Expert, Top Contributor for Google Map Maker (Product Retired) and Regional Lead (Product Retired).
Level 10

@OnyedikaBenjaminJ wrote:

@TravelingZ @LucioV @Csaba mind you there could be more than one entrance to an establishments like some schools, and you have just one marker. Haha

Obviously I'd add a marker for each entrance! Joking 😂

Level 9

@LucioV hope you get to edit a place with no entrance at all, like a public park or something, bet you will spend the whole year placing markers. Lol

Level 9

Level 10

@Flash, these rules could apply to places where there are indeed "buildings" (footprints) provided but in my city (which is relatively big for this) there are about a dozen of buildings marked altogether. Then there are businesses in buildings in (what is usually referred to as) "residential areas" - all facing the street along the building which may even have a facade to yet another street. IMO it could be rather confusing for people where to look for a business if the marker is placed in the middle and especially if there are several markers placed in the same spot as there are several businesses in the same building. 

I think it (again) boils down to the differences between regions. In the US, a McDonald's may be a separate building. Here (until recently) it used to be in the building of our town hall but I know places where it's in a train station. Should I put the marker in the middle of the train station (right on to the rails) or where it actually is (so that people may find it easier)?

Level 9

i actually brought up this topic because i noticed a marker i moved earlier to the center of a business premises has been removed to the entrance, outside the premises almost on the mainroad. So had to ask.