SubBass100's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Going where no Streetview vehicle has gone before.

streetview.jpg

I'm getting ready to head to our camp which is just inside the Allegheny Forest. I have a 2016 / Gear 360 which I've used to do some work in the city with. The mount is a tripod with an extension (selfie stick) and it's snugged in place using the sunroof. It can extend higher if needed. The forest is really beautiful this time of year and I would like to get some good shots for myself and the community.

My questions are:

1:Should the cam lenses face parallel with the top of the car or perpendicular or does it matter?

2:Does the height really matter? I suppose if it were a little higher it would appear to have less of the vehicle in shot.

3: It has been a few months since I've used the google street view app for taking photos. Has anyone noticed if Google incorporated the gyroscope readings from the cam as to level the photos or allow to level them manually later? (If the cam is not level it KILLS the experience check out the International space station streetview to see what I mean. )

4: Has anyone used a car mount with Gear360 (2016) and what vehicle speed and ISO seem to work well for a sunny day

5: What time of day is best?

Yeah, that's a lot but thanks in advance!

-Doc

Allegheny National Forest, Marienville, PA, United States
5 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Going where no Streetview vehicle has gone before.

Hi! Thanks for sharing your setup! Never tried through the sunroof! I have a suction cup mount i use for this scope.

I will try to answer your questions:

@SubBass100 wrote:

streetview.jpg

I'm getting ready to head to our camp which is just inside the Allegheny Forest. I have a 2016 / Gear 360 which I've used to do some work in the city with. The mount is a tripod with an extension (selfie stick) and it's snugged in place using the sunroof. It can extend higher if needed. The forest is really beautiful this time of year and I would like to get some good shots for myself and the community.

My questions are:

1:Should the cam lenses face parallel with the top of the car or perpendicular or does it matter?

2:Does the height really matter? I suppose if it were a little higher it would appear to have less of the vehicle in shot.

3: It has been a few months since I've used the google street view app for taking photos. Has anyone noticed if Google incorporated the gyroscope readings from the cam as to level the photos or allow to level them manually later? (If the cam is not level it KILLS the experience check out the International space station streetview to see what I mean. )

4: Has anyone used a car mount with Gear360 (2016) and what vehicle speed and ISO seem to work well for a sunny day

-Doc

1) The lenses could be oriented as you want, but consider there is a little loss in sharpness at the stitching line, so if you want to focus on front-rear or left-right, act in a way that lenses are pointed in that direction

2) The height matter: as more as your pole is higher the littler your nadir image (the car, in this case) will be in the image! Consider that using fisheye lenses, 1 cm more could make the difference! Sometimes i use a 5 mts panopole with my reflex

Schermata 2016-11-18 alle 12.09.31.png

3) Gyroscope readings for leveling, as far as I know, are being done INSIDE camera: so my Ricoh Theta levels, but Gear 360 don't

4) don't know

5) Better with lower contrast so, dawn and dusk, due to low sensitivity range of these cameras!

Please, share the result!

View solution in original post

Level 10
Solution

Hi! Thanks for sharing your setup! Never tried through the sunroof! I have a suction cup mount i use for this scope.

I will try to answer your questions:

@SubBass100 wrote:

streetview.jpg

My questions are:

-Doc

1) The lenses could be oriented as you want, but consider there is a little loss in sharpness at the stitching line, so if you want to focus on front-rear or left-right, act in a way that lenses are pointed in that direction

2) The height matter: as more as your pole is higher the littler your nadir image (the car, in this case) will be in the image! Consider that using fisheye lenses, 1 cm more could make the difference! Sometimes i use a 5 mts panopole with my reflex

Schermata 2016-11-18 alle 12.09.31.png

3) Gyroscope readings for leveling, as far as I know, are being done INSIDE camera: so my Ricoh Theta levels, but Gear 360 don't

4) don't know

5) Better with lower contrast so, dawn and dusk, due to low sensitivity range of these cameras!

Please, share the result!

Level 7

Excellent response, I can gain about another 2 - 2.5 feet from my setup without adjusting the tripod. I use a Smartee selfie stick to extend using 1/4 20 tripod mount, Silly I know but is really useful and collapses to become very compact. 

61qJNGFYUZL._SX425_.jpg

I'm sure there will be some trial and error. I'll update the post when I complete the shots, thanks!

Level 9

@LucioV with my theta s i use some tricks . Take photo in street view app then take the image in Google photos to edit the colour contrast or even to use a filter . then upload the image in street view app . it automatically take the corrected image for me .

It have created much difference for the photos . . 360 video 

the above images was edited with photoshop and google photos .

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/badges/userbadgespage/user-id/21203/page/1#
Level 10

This is an amazing idea @SubBass100. I'd never thought of using the 360 camera this way. Can I see the results? 🙂

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Level 10

J'aime beaucoup l'idée avec le toit ouvrant @SubBass100

Avec la fonctionnalité vidéo de l'application Street View, nous pouvons cartographier tout un cartier non couvert par la voiture.

Dommage que je n'ai pas de toit ouvrant.

Vincent