JonasKL's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

ADDING A BLACK SPOT TO A ROAD

Hello @TraciC, @GusMoreira, @Corrie 

In my area we have several road black spots. I was thinking out loud! can I include such section on the maps? and if so, What category will it fall into?Black spot in KenyaBlack spot in Kenya

Thank you,

JonasK

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
Kenya
17 comments
Level 4

Re: ADDING A BLACK SPOT TO A ROAD

Great idea. A category for road safety must be introduced just like the traffic option so that users may consider the number of black spots while choosing amongst different routes.
Level 10

Hi @JonasKL,

Unfortunately this is not something that can be added to Google Maps. Perhaps it would be a good idea to contact the authority responsible for managing the road to let them know about the blackspot to see if any improvements could be made?

MapMaker forum: http://goo.gl/6e5Kv9 :: Maps forum: http://goo.gl/Xy2G79 :: Give Kudos for great content!
Level 10

Hi @JonasKL please, can you explain what is a "black spot"? Anyway, if you think that something has to be changed in the road details, you could send a feedback directly from maps, or try to make a change in Google Map Maker.

Level 4

Accident black-spot or black-spot on a road is a location where frequent mishaps occurs due to bad geometrical design of road or lack of proper road signs.

Level 10

Ok, got it. It's something that is supposed to be solved, a workroad, a hole in the surface, something that can raise an issue.

Nice suggestion.

Level 9

Hi @LucioV

Its not something to be fixed. 

I  can better explain a black spot as;

Black spots are road locations that have a record of large numbers of crashes. There are often common problems at these sites which can be treated with engineering methods.

Examples of problem solving for intersection-related crashes:

• conversion of unsignalised cross intersections to roundabouts
  • new or revised traffic signals
  • grade separation
  • staggered cross intersections
  • extension of median through intersections (turn prohibited)
  • provision of protected right turn facilities.
Level 4

@JonasKL Adding this feature will be beneficial in highlighting the issue. If the location is marked as a black-spot, there will be more public awareness and suitable alternatives may be sought by the respective authorities. This is a very good thought. 

Level 9

Hi @swaroopv

I agree with you. It is soo beneficial.

I hope they will implement such a feature soon

Level 9
Level 9

I can't imagine this sort of thing would be implemented for Maps, Google already has another product Waze where this is more appropriate. Waze users can report accidents/incidents or road hazards as they see them and over time a picture will build up if a place is a regular blackspot. This data will be available to Google to use wherever it likes, such as Maps driving directions