IlankovanT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

[RECAP] Sri Lanka, Wellawatta - Map Editing

A meet up was organized to support our friend  @HelloSamsonR on his "World Wide Map Edit Walk" theme. We Sri Lanka local guides took this matter in our hangout and few of us decided to host meet ups at our community. The meet up was organized at 4.30 on the 22nd of July and initially, I myself and @AntanO were the only participants to attend. After a ten minutes’ walk, someone new joined us looking at my Sri Lanka Local guides Tshirt. That was @RuBen10. Even though, he has not been a member of Local Guides community or the HO, he knew about our existence through social media. Catching up my post on some newsfeed he has decided to join us this time. Ruben told that he has been using Google maps during his travel for work related matters and also have given some stars at times but he didn’t have a clear idea about how it functions. We gave him a clear explanation of this and he showed a great enthusiasm.

Ilankovan, Anton, RubenIlankovan, Anton, Ruben

This was my first time to host an editing meet up in Wellawatta, even though I am living here for the past few years. Wellawatte is one of the most populated areas in Colombo city. This idea clicked into my mind all of a sudden as I one day saw many places pinned at wrong locations, many closed businesses were still active and some business places were over lapping some other. Considering these, I decided to plan a meet-up and it happened. However, this was my first time to spend one and a half an hours to walk through only about 150 meters on an editing walk, hence there were many errors on the map and it was so confusing. We got our inboxes filling with so many notifications in a very short time.

1 hour and 30 minutes1 hour and 30 minutes

Check the facts and Uncover missing informationCheck the facts and Uncover missing information

While on the walk, I realized that there is a severe need to establish a community for Wellawatte Local a Guides and gather more colleagues in order to improve the quality of the map. We continued the walk with “Check the facts” and “Uncover missing information” tabs. Following the walk, we reached Wellawatte to fly the flip kite which I was carrying. It was new to Ruben and Anton did not believe it till he saw the kite flying.

After having some fun flying the kite, we sat on a café, had some chat and snacks and returned home. This meet up, has been a significant one for me which gave way to initiate a new Local Guide community for Wellawatte which is the most needed in order to improve the quality of the map.

Wellawatta, Colombo, Western Province, Sri Lanka
26 comments
Level 8

Re: [RECAP] Sri Lanka, Wellawatta - Map Editing

Awesome contributions @IlankovanT đŸ‘ great work as always! 😁

Level 10

Excellent meet-up @IlankovanT and a very inspiring story, you did a good job @IlankovanT😊. Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience with us. Congratulations to your team as well. You all did well and thanks for supporting this Worldwide Map Edit Walk campaign by going into the streets in your community to actually help in making the informations right, well done again :).

Connect Moderator

Excellent 🎉🎉👏👏👏 @IlankovanT you are always give inspiration us

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 9

If there are a professional Meetup members @IlankovanT one of the best who do that 😊

Perfect bro 😁😊

Level 10

@IlankovanT Great work. 

Level 10

Hi @IlankovanT Feedback Form For Worldwide Map Edit Walk

Please take a little time and give is some feedback about your excersise 😊.

Kind Regards 

Level 9

Connect Moderator

@IlankovanT, great recap to  @HelloSamsonR's Local Guides inspired Worldwide Map Edit meetup with @AntanO and new Connect member @RuBen10.

Amazing story about the branding power of wearing your Sri Lanka Local Guides Tshirt to catch someone's, in this case, RuBen10's, attention and by simply walking 150 meters (less than a 10th of a mile) a need to form another Sri Lanka Local Guides Community in Wellawatta. 

You are truly a role model for all us here on Connect and a Local Guides ambassador for Sri Lanka! 

Cheers,

Karen

Level 5

Thanks @IlankovanT and @AntanO for the intro to the local guides. It was a pleasure meeting you two and learning about this community. As you mentioned, Wellawatte has a lot of missing info as well as wrong information on the map. Therefore a local guide community is a good idea!