AniaKiser's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Why don't you travel on a budget?!

Dollars on World MapDollars on World Map

I am convinced that some of you will get offended and shout: ”Of course, I travel on a budget!” 🤑 If there are such people among us, it makes me very happy! I count on your personal tips in the comments below the post. 🙂 However, if you are in a group of people who, for various reasons, decide not to travel in this way, maybe this article will encourage you to do so. 😃

I am always laughing 😂, telling my friends that I can easily find myself in a five-star hotel 🏨 and in nature, sleeping in a tent . Both of these places have pros and cons, but that’s a topic for another post.

I am happy to share my saving methods 💲, while not giving up exploring the world. Google is also invaluable. It always helps me when I’m searching for the best attraction (checking others' Lists on Google Maps), finding the quickest way to get to my destination, or showing me gas prices, giving me a notification from Calendar when my flight departs and many more!

Local Guide @AniaKiser hiking in Beskidy mountains, PolandLocal Guide @AniaKiser hiking in Beskidy mountains, Poland

Here below you can read some of the tips I use while traveling. I’m aware the list can go on and on, but I try to highlight the most important clues on how to save some money.💰

1. If I have the option, I book flights and accommodation in advance (same for holidays bought at travel agencies), when I have a wide choice and at the same time I can find something at a lower price. I also hunt for all kinds of promotions and look for discount codes on the Internet.
  2. When we choose to sleep in a tent (if the weather permits it) - then the fee, at least on campsites in Poland, is small and we usually pay for a tent, a car and the number of people, sometimes additionally for a shower. 🏕 I love to hike in the mountains, but meals and drinks at the shelters can be expensive-I try to have my own water bottle, a sandwich, and fruits to kill the hunger, but I'm unable to resist an apple pie there 🍰...however it's another story to tell. 😋
  3. In case I need things for a trip that I do not have, and they will not be needed for a long time besides this special trip, I am looking for friends and family who will be able to lend me it (sleeping bag, power bank, travel adapter, etc.)
  4. When the journey takes place by car, I invite my friends to join us to share fuel costs and tolls for highways, parking lots, etc. Sometimes this method of reducing the cost of the trip works well when we share a dormitory room instead of an intimate room only for ourselves. 🛌
  5. I choose transport at my destination in terms of costs (sometimes a taxi is even more profitable for us than the fee for public transport for four people! - here I also encourage you to look for discounts on the Internet for various types of taxi services). Most often I visit cities on my feet, thanks to which I am still fit, and with the money saved I buy high-calorie ice cream just a moment later 🍨 😉 Cities offer cards for public transport, e.g. for three days, a week, etc. and they include buses 🚌, metro, and trams - a very convenient way when you don't have to worry about the ticket 🎟 every time getting on a bus, etc. [edit] I forgot to mention a city bike or scooter rental! These options are usually very reasonable in price, however, I don't feel comfortable riding a bike or an electric scooter in crowded cities.
  6. Entrance tickets to key attractions are often cheaper to buy online and in advance 🏛- I always try to check this issue, because there is nothing worse than traveling halfway around the world to see IT and hearing at the box office that "tickets are no longer available for the next month" … In addition, it is worth checking out various types of cards (CITY CARD), which allow you to enter multiple attractions at reasonable prices. It also happens that they allow discounts on public transport. I encourage people traveling with children to buy the so-called Family Ticket, if available - another few dollars is left in your pocket. In Europe you can find one day in a week when the exact museum is for free - check this out!
  7. We've arrived, we have a place to sleep, we know what we're going to visit, and it's time to eat something 😋 🥘 In this case, of course, I check nearby restaurants on Google Maps first and sort them according to the price level ($ / $$ / $$$ / $$$$). It is also impossible not to be guided by reviews - I never forget that! In addition, I look for bargains in the Too Good To Go application and buy food there (unfortunately this "zero food waste" program does not apply in all countries I visit)
  8. I never, really NEVER, leave my country without health insurance. The costs of treatment abroad can ruin anyone, not to mention urgent surgeries, which, unfortunately, may arise unexpectedly during the trip. If you are planning bungee jumping or other extreme sports, make sure your insurance covers it. 🌴
  9. Do not forget that the Local Guides Program brings together people from all over the world 🌍 who are happy to advise others and you can always ask them about a country they know, and it will certainly be easier for us to get a piece of advice from natives. 😊
  10. Last but not least - be aware of scammers! There are plenty of traps around the world and a whole lot of ways to rob a tourist ...😒 I could write a separate article on this topic 😉

I think that some of the advice I have written above is obvious for travelers like Local Guides, but I hope that maybe somehow you didn't think of something I included in this post. I will be more than happy to read your ideas for reducing the cost of trips 💸 in the comment section below. Share with us your ideas on how to save money, while traveling! 🏝✈️

24 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Why don't you travel on a budget?!

@AniaKiser I love ALL of your suggestions! It is clear how passionate you are about travel, and how much you prioritize so many areas of your life in order to support it. Thank you for all the new ideas! My best travel tip for saving money - purchase a shared museum membership at a smaller, local museum that comes with sister-museum benefits. The ASTC membership has gotten me free/reduced admittance to so many places that would have otherwise been a splurge.

I especially love that you bring your own water bottle and foods. My personal weakness is coffee, but I don't like to always have to go out-and-about to get some, and I love having something local. I bring my own super-small reusable coffee maker so that I can pick up a little bit of local, ground coffee and make it for myself on-demand whenever I choose. (See the photo below) I also keep a stash of Kind bars in my bag at all times - it helps me maximize my time exploring and helps me save my food budget for things I want most.

A photo of a portable coffee maker in use.A photo of a portable coffee maker in use.

Level 9

@Kwiksatik I've never heard about ASTC before - thank you for this info! 🙂 In Europe we've got discount cards for students-f.e. ISIC (for cheaper accommodation and entrance tickets to museums etc.) or YHA  (for accommodation). 

I'm a coffee lover, too. I try to take my travel coffee mug with me, but sometimes I go to Starbucks when visiting cities, where it's available. You can check my post Traveling with the smell and taste of coffee to see how I love this drink! 😍

Level 9

Most useful suggestions @AniaKiser thank you for sharing with us..

Level 9

@AniaKiser 

You are like me , I also before planning my trip see how can i save money. Any friends or relative are staying to guide me, now happy local guide are there to help. 

Here my one student of travel I asked her how can u mange to travel so much every 3 month u travel how much u spend she told she stay in hostels they have single bed, with small locker common kitchen, common wash room per day stay 500-600 Rs. In dollar 7-8 $

Rest travelling she goes with friends 4-5 share equally  food home made they carry. Dry snack, food which can be heated in microwave. 

Recently I visited Indore for wedding after wedding 3 stays I stayed there to explore the place.i am going to write how local guide helped me. 

I keep few money aside for travel. I bargain alot good in bargaining even with auto wala to travel & tell him if u take reasonable I will share your number with my friends. I share the number with my friends. 

Food part we make paratha which can last for 5 days  flour make dough in milk putting salt & pepper powder this u can have with pickle or hot tea coffee. 

I don't like outside tea or coffee  so try to carry hot water bottle in that put coffee pouch here in India u can small pouches of coffee put in water it's ready. 

Recently when I was travelling flight ticket was too high so travel by train took there was no pantery so took dinner from home for breakfast boil egg & bread and butter. 

Lastly you few tips will help me. 

Level 8

Thank you for sharing such great tips @AniaKiser. Yes we do try to travel in budget too. I absolutely agree on all the points you gave. I do have travel plan coming up in couple of months which i will share with you all here. Looking forward to the trip. Please do share more pics of your beautiful country Poland.

Anitha Muthu
Connect Moderator

Thank you @AniaKiser 

Holidays are for me the time of no planning…. So quite difficult for me to understand 😉, but your list is very useful.

i love to sleep in my car around Europe, but for this like to have a good breakfast in the morning at a local bakery.

For shower I quite often use natural resources, like sea or lake and in countries where it is more difficult I like in South Poland , I sleep close to a public swimming pool and sometimes only pay the entrance to get a shower.

So, in one week I will start my trip from Germany over Poland and maybe go to Sweden…,

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Connect Moderator

Level 9

@RosyKohli Thank you very much for sharing your experience of traveling on a budget! 🙂 This paratha, which can last for 5 days, as you said, that's a treat! 😊 In June we were traveling abroad to Croatia, where the prices are higher than in Poland, we bought a lot of products here at supermarkets and then we were preparing meals out of them at our rented holiday apartment. That allowed us to save a lot of money! I prefer to go on holiday on a budget than to stay at home dreaming about a luxury holiday and at the same time, I'd rather collect new memories than new fashionable clothes. 😉

Level 9

@AnithaM Do you plan to visit Poland? If yes, I'm here to help to plan the visit 🙂 For my travel photos, please check my Instagram account "aniakiser" (you can find a link below my posts). On Connect I don't post many photos, because of the limit, which is imposed on us here.