Linnéa's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

When other people’s passion becomes your passion

The fact is, the reason why I continously contribute on Google maps is because I really want my city to thrive and to help other people. I think that we have a part in making our society more equal and open to everyone. I know it sounds cliché but I truly mean that this is my cause.

I believe that the power of the consumers are the biggest and most important power to the market. The market that, in this capitalistic world we’re living in, is our playground. This means that all of us Local guides is making an impact on how the society around us develops. We’re together sharing our truth and that’s what sets the standard.

When I first started posting things on maps, what I cared about sharing was what interested me personally. I loved sharing food photos, partly because I love eating at restaurants and partly because food is beautiful. Sharing what’s in your own interest is a very good cause, I think that’s the main engine behind all the content that gets uploaded on maps. But I personally feel that it’s more rewarding to share things that, in one way or another, helps other people.

Caption: My most viewed photo on maps. A photo of a course from the tasting menu at the restaurant Farang in Stockholm.Caption: My most viewed photo on maps. A photo of a course from the tasting menu at the restaurant Farang in Stockholm.

Caption: A sandwich from the café Zetas Finsmakarens trädgård in StockholmCaption: A sandwich from the café Zetas Finsmakarens trädgård in Stockholm

My sister-in-law is vegan and I really admire her and her determination. Even though our country of residence, Sweden, is very modern and straight-forward; we still have a long history of hunting and farming. In many ways that still means that eating meat is a part of our culture. This also means, that to some people, it may seem very controversial being vegan but that doesn’t stop her with her love for food and restaurants. I got inspired and thought; why not make a list of all vegan restaurants in Stockholm? So I did and it turned out to be a huge project. We ended up with a list of about 350 restaurants, almost broke the list function in maps but guess who finds it very useful? My wonderful vegan sister-in-law.

Caption: A screenshot of the description of my list "Vegan in Stockholm".Caption: A screenshot of the description of my list "Vegan in Stockholm".

Here, in Stockholm, the percentage of single-households are the highest in the world – and understandably it’s more expensive living alone than if you have multiple incomes. I’m lucky living with my partner and I have the opportunity to do things I enjoy a lot, such as eating at restaurants. This made me realize that not everyone has the same opportunities as I’ve got. Therefore I always include the price range when writing a review and take it in consideration when rating. I also figured that as a tourist you may have a travel budget so I put up a list where I fit in all the free entrance museums in Stockholm.

Caption: A screenshot of my review for the Pinball museum in Warsaw.Caption: A screenshot of my review for the Pinball museum in Warsaw.

Caption:  A screenshot of the description of my list "(Free entrance!) Museums in Stockholm".Caption: A screenshot of the description of my list "(Free entrance!) Museums in Stockholm".

These two, are only a few examples on what I’ve added to maps. Even though my heart mainly goes out to women’s issues I keep trying to include every group in society, especially minorities, when I upload content on maps. Together we are able to help each other and I think that’s the most awesome thing about the Local guides program. We’re making a change and it’s a damn good one.

10 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: When other people’s passion becomes your passion

Hi @Linnéa 

Thanks for a great post. This is very useful and informative for me because I am interested in visiting Stockholm in the future. I believe that a good idea to visit Stockholm from Tallinn by ferry. I love visiting museums and trying local cuisines when traveling. I think your Google Lists will help me save some money 😉

Level 8

I agree with you on the importance of contributions in local economies. And it is extremely popular among users for food recommendations !!! what great pictures!!!! 

In love of Mexico City
Instagram

Youtube
Level 8

@JaneBurunina thank you so much Jane, I'm super happy you find it useful - that's what it's for! 

Level 8

@Imperiospice thank you so much Imperio! I'm super happy you like it 😊

Connect Moderator

I love what you are doing @Linnéa ! You are so right about why so many of us start contributing, and where we wind up spending our efforts after we become more involved in the program. Great work!

Level 8

@Kwiksatik thank you so much Megan! Your opinion means a lot to me, I'm super happy you like it 😊 

Level 9

@Linnéa  food brings people together.  I think many of us feel inspired the same way you do.

Level 8

@Twister411 I really think so too, great program to bring people together! 😍 

Level 10

@Linnéa  I particularly like your free museums lists and your awareness of budget ranges. This will be useful when I visit there one day. Good one Linnea.