MaxineT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

What happens when you take pictures from outside a building?

If I am walking in a public place (like a mall) snapping photos, I get funny looks from people who have no idea why I'm doing it.   I'm not talking about people in the pictures either.  These are people I'm avoiding taking pictures of (either quickly getting the photo before they walk into the frame, or waiting for them to walk out of the frame before taking the picture).  I'm usually focused on the photo I'm trying to get, but my husband is watching the people watching us.  No one has ever said anything to us, but it gives my husband a lot of laughs to see the reactions we get.  

Have you had any good or bad experiences with random people reacting to you taking a photo?

6 comments
Level 10

Re: What happens when you take pictures from outside a building?

Hi @MaxineT, doing this multiple times now it feels normal to me. 

Level 10

Never experienced problems, as i take photos with smartphone for most activity in LG program.

When i'm hired for a photoshoot, and i have tons of equipment, i usually wear a badge or something related to my activity, trying not to be interrupted.

Level 8

Unfortunately here in Mexico people have trust issues. I've been confronted a few times on why I was taking pictures of places, everything for security purposes. When I get people to talk with me I explain them about the Google Local Guides program and explain them my activity as a Local Guide, after I do that, sometimes, yes sometimes, they agree and share with me some info about the restaurant, store, etc. But there are other cases where people confront me being agressive, fortunately I'm a lawyer and I know what can I do and what I can't do, I try to mix this with what a should do in order to avoid getting in trouble and give a bad image about the program. At the end I stop taking pictures and leave the area always with a good picture to publish hehe.

Luis Hernández - Querétaro, México. Queretaro Local Guides
Level 10

@LUISH wrote:

Unfortunately here in Mexico people have trust issues. I've been confronted a few times on why I was taking pictures of places, everything for security purposes. When I get people to talk with me I explain them about the Google Local Guides program and explain them my activity as a Local Guide, after I do that, sometimes, yes sometimes, they agree and share with me some info about the restaurant, store, etc. But there are other cases where people confront me being agressive, fortunately I'm a lawyer and I know what can I do and what I can't do, I try to mix this with what a should do in order to avoid getting in trouble and give a bad image about the program. At the end I stop taking pictures and leave the area always with a good picture to publish hehe.

@LuisHM, as a lawyer, what do you suggest when a customer asks a local guide to remove a bad review based on true facts?

Level 8

@LucioVit's your opinion after the experience you just had based on true facts. The best you can do is to write a detailed review explaining what happened and why you came to that conclusion. Nothing to worry about, in my opinion.

Luis Hernández - Querétaro, México. Queretaro Local Guides
Level 10

So far i only had one person ask me why i was taking photos of the store..i actually prepared what to say which can help you when you may be asked that question..having prepared answers are good.I decided to be cheeky and replied back i dont have to tell you anything im on public ground and i can take a photo of this store if i want to or the concrete ground.She went silent ..then i said i was just being cheeky..i explained i was a google local guide and all that we do.She replied. oh.Then said there were people taking photos in the store at the security cameras the eftpos machines and her boss was worried about people breaking in.I said i dont blame you asking me.(showing my i understand face)she smiled.  I

@MaxineT wrote:

If I am walking in a public place (like a mall) snapping photos, I get funny looks from people who have no idea why I'm doing it.   I'm not talking about people in the pictures either.  These are people I'm avoiding taking pictures of (either quickly getting the photo before they walk into the frame, or waiting for them to walk out of the frame before taking the picture).  I'm usually focused on the photo I'm trying to get, but my husband is watching the people watching us.  No one has ever said anything to us, but it gives my husband a lot of laughs to see the reactions we get.  

Have you had any good or bad experiences with random people reacting to you taking a photo?

@MaxineT wrote:

said enjoy the rest of her day.And i carried on.