nicowanjala's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Wake Up Call to Map

It is on a Saturday morning. After having an eventful  Friday evening, you don't feel like waking up to attend this meetup scheduled at 8:30 a.m. You are never used to missing meeting, so you force yourself out of the blanket, take a quick shower then rush to the meetup. You arrive a few minutes late but luckily the meeting has not commenced yet. You rejoice to be among those who arrived first though late. The facilitator starts with introductions and being at the front row,  you have to start the group off. You quickly say your name and where you are from just the normal way you would answer the tell us about yourself question. After introductions,  the speaker starts by asking whether anyone has ever made a contribution to Google Maps. Ooh boy, you are the helpless because you can't recall the countless times you have searched for places and their directions on either Google Maps or  Google Earth without ever asking yourself where Google gets that pool of information and addresses. You admit you have been unfair to yourself and to the rest of the world by being selfish with sharing and contributing location  information  partly due to your ignorance. The session  takes Thirty minutes and now you know how to contribute by adding missing places, Reviewing places, Rating places, adding Photos,Videos and knowledge. You get to know that you earn point by contributing to Google Maps. This excites you as make your contributions and see your points increase and earn a few badges as you traverse the various levels. You are now officially a Local Guide. Now you are enthusiastic about this wake up call to map the world and you make it your goal to contribute at least every day to Google maps. This is what happened to me last weekend on  Saturday, 14th of April 2018. Am super excited. How can one improve on the quality of their contributions so that they are as accurate as possible even in remote areas which require approval before publication?

nicowanjala
Nairobi, Kenya
6 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Wake Up Call to Map

@nicowanjala, welcome to Local Guides, joining your first Local Guides meetup, and joining and taking the time to write about your first experiences as a Local Guide here on Connect! 

If you took photos of this meetup, please feel free to post your best photos in your post to help give a visual of your experience. It helps tell the story.

You might want to introduce yourself to the Connect Community if you haven’t already. We are a very active 24/7 365 days online community. You will be surprised how many fellow Local Guides have similar interests and passions if you become active and spend time here. And if you are lucky, some of these fellow Local Guides May become your friends. I’m sure @InnocensiaO has explained the beauty of this popular Google Community 

And if you want to further explore Connect and what the official Local Guides online global community has to off, click Getting Started to learn more.

Cheers,

Karen

View solution in original post

Level 8

Hi @nicowanjala. Welcome to connect. So glad to hear your experience and thanks for the informations.

Level 10

@nicowanjala  happy to see your post here. I'm so glad you enjoyed the session on Saturday. Looking forward to more of your contributions to this community.

Connect Moderator
Solution

@nicowanjala, welcome to Local Guides, joining your first Local Guides meetup, and joining and taking the time to write about your first experiences as a Local Guide here on Connect! 

If you took photos of this meetup, please feel free to post your best photos in your post to help give a visual of your experience. It helps tell the story.

You might want to introduce yourself to the Connect Community if you haven’t already. We are a very active 24/7 365 days online community. You will be surprised how many fellow Local Guides have similar interests and passions if you become active and spend time here. And if you are lucky, some of these fellow Local Guides May become your friends. I’m sure @InnocensiaO has explained the beauty of this popular Google Community 

And if you want to further explore Connect and what the official Local Guides online global community has to off, click Getting Started to learn more.

Cheers,

Karen

Level 5

Hi @FuvadShah It is my pleasure you found the information to be useful. Helping people to easily navigate around the world using Google maps is my greatest passion. That is why I am glad to be a local guide since I got the Wake up Call to map the world. 

nicowanjala
Level 5

I owe it to you @InnocensiaO that you introduced Local Guides to me. Thank you  so much. Am putting in place a plan to host a meetup in one of the Colleges of University of Nariobi to help campus students contribute more information about their colleges on Google Maps by providing high quality reviews and photos. I'll share the link once everything is in place.

nicowanjala
Level 10

Happy to hear this. Let me introduce you to other veterans in th program @RobAo and @KoffiK. Nic is a newbie that attended the meetup I hosted at UON. He’s a great addition to the Nairobi Local Guides Community.