Tushar_Suradkar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Universal Studios Florida - Enter the Dragon

As a solo budget traveler, I chose a hotel at a walking distance from the Universal Studios in Orlando. This was a priority 2 destination in Orlando, the Kennedy Space Center having taken the top spot.

Then it came as a big surprise to me that one cannot enter the Universal Studios without a car or taxi. I am not sure if I was tricked into believing this by a taxi driver or if it was indeed true. 

The Universal Studios in OrlandoThe Universal Studios in Orlando

Reluctantly I hired the hotel designated taxi from ICON Park for $12 which seemed to be OK. Though this was in sharp contrast with the $20 that a yellow taxi charged on the return journey. 

Another alert tip would be to negotiate the toll fees from the Orlando airport to the hotel with the taxi driver. The taxi from airport to hotel in Orlando added $4 to the meter at the toll booth and again at the time of deboarding the taxi. So, be on an alert...!

The entry to this place is via a huge open parking space, a part of which was reserved for the yellow taxis cabs.

Parking at the Universal Studios in OrlandoParking at the Universal Studios in Orlando

There was also a designated platform or stand separate from the Uber cabs and the personal cars for visitors.

Signboard at the Universal Studios in OrlandoSignboard at the Universal Studios in Orlando

There was a waiting area for the taxi and uber ride pickups but no security guard in place giving a free hand to the taxi drivers to behave in an unprofessional manner with visitors.

Waiting Area at the Universal Studios in OrlandoWaiting Area at the Universal Studios in Orlando

The parking lots are also interestingly named with themes like Jaws, Jurassic Park, King Kong and so on to make it easy to remember and locate the vehicles on return.

Themed Parking Lots at the Universal Studios in OrlandoThemed Parking Lots at the Universal Studios in Orlando

There are also escalators at every level change.

Parking  Escalators at the Universal Studios in OrlandoParking Escalators at the Universal Studios in Orlando

The security checks were limited and as a result I saw endless queues on a weekend in June 2023 when I visited here.

Security Check at the Universal Studios in OrlandoSecurity Check at the Universal Studios in Orlando

Subsequently there are miles of horizontal escalators or moving walkways to make it easy to cover the distance up to the entrance of the Universal Studios.

There were vending machines that sold snacks and drinks.

Moving Walkways at the Universal Studios in OrlandoMoving Walkways at the Universal Studios in Orlando

To ease walking the long distance the area is landscaped with interesting stuff and also there are huge advertisements indicating the food joints to expect once inside the studios.

Landscaping at the Universal Studios in OrlandoLandscaping at the Universal Studios in Orlando

This is the grand entrance of the Universal Studios, and the ticketing is still a faraway walk.

Tip: Arrive equipped with lots of water to drink especially in the sunny Orlando summer.

Main Entrance of the Universal Studios in OrlandoMain Entrance of the Universal Studios in Orlando

There are plenty of food joints lined up on both sides of the path that leads to the ticketing counters and on way are also beautiful landscapes likes this lake with a foot bridge.

The famous logo of the Universal Studio can be seen from here.

Logo of the Universal Studios in OrlandoLogo of the Universal Studios in Orlando

When viewed from the other side, I found that boating facility was available.

Enjoy Boating at the Universal Studios in OrlandoEnjoy Boating at the Universal Studios in Orlando

Here is the grand entrance to the ticketing area.

Ticketing Area at the Universal Studios in OrlandoTicketing Area at the Universal Studios in Orlando

The queues here are endless and there is no shade anywhere in the premises of the Universal Studio except the shops and cafes.

Ticket Queues at the Universal Studios in OrlandoTicket Queues at the Universal Studios in Orlando

The express pass counter wore a deserted look.

Express Pass Counter at the Universal Studios in OrlandoExpress Pass Counter at the Universal Studios in Orlando

Same story with the Annual pass counter since most people prefer booking the tickets online before arriving or because the rates were too high.

When I enquired, I was told the combined pass for the entire studio was a steep USD 400 per person. 

Annual Pass Counter at the Universal Studios in OrlandoAnnual Pass Counter at the Universal Studios in Orlando

There is also a nice and peaceful waiting area with a fountain, but it was again not covered leaving visitors to suffer in the scorching heat of sunny Florida.

Fountains in the Waiting Area at the Universal Studios in OrlandoFountains in the Waiting Area at the Universal Studios in Orlando

The entire area is nicely leveled, hurdle free and accessible for wheelchair bound people.

Inside the Universal Studios in OrlandoInside the Universal Studios in Orlando

There are plenty of direction boards all over the place mostly pointing to shops, food joints and cafes and a few towards public utilities like restrooms and phone call kiosks.

Indicators at the Universal Studios in OrlandoIndicators at the Universal Studios in Orlando

There are many interesting public places like this Island Adventure tower and a dragon for visual entertainment.

Landscapes at the Universal Studios in OrlandoLandscapes at the Universal Studios in Orlando

There are several public exhibits, and some are only paid though it is not impossible to steal a view from the across the grills at beauties like this.

Landscapes at the Universal Studios in OrlandoLandscapes at the Universal Studios in Orlando

For souvenirs and gifts, there are two places that I found - Universal Studios Store and another one was Universal Legacy Store.

Souvenir and Gift Shop at Universal Studios in OrlandoSouvenir and Gift Shop at Universal Studios in Orlando

Besides these, there are plenty of other gift and souvenir shops whose store fronts are shared in a separate post.

Here are some of the items on sale in the official stores that include regular stuff like mugs, T-shirts, keychains, dolls, and sweatshirts.

Souvenirs and Gifts at the Universal Studios in OrlandoSouvenirs and Gifts at the Universal Studios in Orlando

I did not see any electric cart or trolley carts to move around.

So be prepared to walk back to the parking lot which is again dotted with interesting landscapes.

It was a very discouraging experience to visit the Universal Studios if you are a solo traveler on budget since reaching there is costly, and the tickets are exorbitant not counting the food joints and cafes that charge at a premium for most regular and basic items.

In spite of this the public or free area and the views of the landscapes within the Universal Studios in Orlando makes it an experience of a lifetime.

Tushar_Suradkar_0-1692859695217.png

Accessibility Features

Most places starting from the parking to the ticketing counters are accessible.

Various exhibits in the public areas and most shops and cafes were accessible.

Strollers are not available for rent. 

Mobility scooters are also not available for those with difficulty walking.

Top Tips and Alerts for the Universal Studios

1. Parking rates are steep depending on the vehicle.
2. You can bring your own food and drinks.
3. Bring along plenty of water or energy drinks.
4. Wear comfortable shoes to walk a lot.
5. Do not visit here on a weekend since the queues could get very long. 

Where to Stay

I stayed at the La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham that was just across the street opposite the ICON Park.

Orlando Tourist Places

Ripley's Believe or Not

The Escape Game Orlando

Madame Tussauds Orlando

Museum of Illusions Orlando

Universal Studios Florida

Walt Disney World

Orlando, FL, USA
8 comments
Level 10

Re: Universal Studios Florida - Enter the Dragon

Hello dear friend @Tushar_Suradkar Ji, 

Seriously felt sad that such a famous destination is not visitor friendly! - waiting areas without sun protection looks to be very rediculous, taxi stand without security guard? Really shocking.

As usual, your tips are really valuable and important. 

Also the aspects are well covered - great.

Are the private vendors have reasonably priced curios? Or all are costly like the basic food items? 

And of course, being Universal Studios, one cannot avoid it - I fully agree. 

Thanks... Very useful for a person who is going to visit. 

Regards 

👍❤️🙏

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Connect Moderator

Yes, you are correct @TravellerG 

Regular food items are overpriced in the Universal Studios, like malls out here in India.

Whereas malls and public places in US have free drinking water and washrooms, I did not find any in the Universal Studios.

Just be prepared to purchase everything here.

Thank you for attention to the details in the post and an enthusiastic response 😊

Level 10

नमस्कार,

@Tushar_Suradkar 

छान दिसत आहे, दादा तू म्हणाल्याप्रमाणे तिथे तिथे खाण्यापिण्याची सोय नाही आहे, मग तर प्रवाश्यांना आपली सोय करूनच तिथे भेट द्यावी..

Level 9

Nicely covered @Tushar_Suradkar !

Even I believe that the most of the major tourist attractions in the US must be expensive (as per our currency conversion) and require good physical fitness to visit. It must be quite chaotic and exhausting, especially during the summer if you're not used to it.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

| Ajit Thite | “Collect moments, not things” – Aarti Khurana |
My Latest posts :- | Great Place to pause for Some Moments to Live: Ka'Soul Cafe, Pune |
Connect Moderator

Yes, even by their own local currency, the food items are sold at premium prices, especially compared to that in the town.

Distances are also huge @ajitthite and galleries are spaced apart to accommodate the huge crowds. The weather does not helpful too.

In spite of that the exhibits are spectacular, and experience is amazing.

Level 8

Amazing post @Tushar_Suradkar 

Many informations I have got from your post. 

Thank you

Level 10

@Tushar_Suradkar definitivamente este lugar como muchos parecidos no son de mi agrado, parece una tomadura de pelo. Tienes que ser muy fan para soportar tant tontería como turista, se aprovechan de la gente. Gran publicación, las cosas como son. Bravo!

https://gasmountain.com/blog/
FOLLOW ME ON GOOGLE MAPS
https://goo.gl/maps/nTobaEosxkmA1cvq8
Level 8

Universal Studios Florida is definitely a must-visit destination in Orlando. The parking area and entrance to Universal Studios Florida seem well-organized and themed, which adds to the overall experience. However, it's disappointing to hear that there were no security guards, which could result in unprofessional behaviour from some taxi drivers. Safety should always be a priority. The moving walkways and escalators definitely help with covering the long distances within the park. It's also great to hear that there are vending machines and plenty of food options available. Staying hydrated and energized is crucial, especially in the hot Orlando summer. The ticketing area may have been crowded, but it's understandable considering the popularity of Universal Studios. It's good to know that there are accessible areas for wheelchair-bound individuals and plenty of direction boards to guide visitors. I like their names of the parking slots. Really very creative. Then names are popular and easy to remember the car parked slots. The souvenir and gift shops seem to offer a variety of items, making it easy to find something special to remember your visit. This is also one of the important place in my bucket list. Thank you @Tushar_Suradkar for sharing. 

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel