Tushar_Suradkar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Kennedy Space Center Orlando, Tour with Tips and Alerts

Visiting the Kennedy Space Center in Orlando was a memorable experience.
Of all planetariums and space museum I have been to in the US and in India this one stands out. 

NASA Logo, Kennedy Space Center, OrlandoNASA Logo, Kennedy Space Center, Orlando

I took a tour bus that did everything from pickup/drop to ticketing.

It was a lavish super-comfortable 2x2 bus that picked me from the ICON Park.

Tour Bus, Kennedy Space Center, OrlandoTour Bus, Kennedy Space Center, Orlando

I was the last to board on the bus which headed straight to the Kennedy Space Center.

The route was scenic with water bodies on both sides and greenery all around.

Scenic Way, Kennedy Space Center, OrlandoScenic Way, Kennedy Space Center, Orlando

The parking at the Kennedy space Center is huge and the rent is a steep $10-15 for a day. 

It is also nicely leveled with the sidewalk that leads to the entrance of the space enter complex.

Accessible Parking, Kennedy Space Center, OrlandoAccessible Parking, Kennedy Space Center, Orlando

There is manual ticketing counter that is both accessible for a wheelchair bound person and also nicely landscaped.

Ticket Counter, Kennedy Space Center, OrlandoTicket Counter, Kennedy Space Center, Orlando

Then there are also attractive self-help ticketing kiosks.

Look at these beauties... everything, every station, is well thought of.

Self-Ticketing Kiosks, Kennedy Space Center, OrlandoSelf-Ticketing Kiosks, Kennedy Space Center, Orlando

There is also a spacious and accessible Information Center.

The amount of information and galleries here are so many, expect a whole day to see everything.

Information Center, Kennedy Space Center, OrlandoInformation Center, Kennedy Space Center, Orlando

Also, on display at the entrance are huge electronic display boards with the rate cards for the daily passes, daily schedule of the shows. 

The most unusual one was the name of the astronaut of the day that visitors can interact with. I mean, Wow...! really cool place.

One point of frustration was that most shows and attractions close relatively early, around 4:30 PM.
This limited availability can be disappointing if you're hoping to catch all the shows. 

Information Display, Kennedy Space Center, OrlandoInformation Display, Kennedy Space Center, Orlando

The first sight of the Kennedy Space Center after the ticket checking is that of the rocket Garden.

This is incredible! absolutely incredible.

Seriously, don’t even bother going to Disney, or Universal… KSC is the best place to visit hands down.

Rocket Garden, Kennedy Space Center, OrlandoRocket Garden, Kennedy Space Center, Orlando

Be prepared to be impressed.

Here is the replica of the Saturn 5 rocket that took man to the moon.

The original big one is only a bus tour away out here in Orlando.

Also, there is one more original one in the Houston Johnson Space Center.

Yes, they always made several copies of the original ones as backup for such important missions.

For now, this replica was enough as a warmup to the amazement that was in store.

Saturn 5 Rocket, Kennedy Space Center, OrlandoSaturn 5 Rocket, Kennedy Space Center, Orlando

The main building is called the Gateway and hosts several exhibits and artifacts from the long history of American space explorations.

Gateway Building, Kennedy Space Center, OrlandoGateway Building, Kennedy Space Center, Orlando

There is also a universal theatre that host the exciting simulation rides that were both informative and an experience of a lifetime.

From the space history to newest invention, this place gallery opened my eyes about all things out of the earth.
The red planet simulation ride is especially exciting.  I waited about 15 minutes for the ride. 

Universal Theatre, Kennedy Space Center, OrlandoUniversal Theatre, Kennedy Space Center, Orlando

The Mars Rover model is a quick pit stop and nothing much to see here except marveling at the model of a vehicle to be used for a future Mars expedition.

Mars Rover model, Kennedy Space Center, OrlandoMars Rover model, Kennedy Space Center, Orlando

The ATX or Astronaut Training Experience was one gallery that I gave a complete miss for lack of time.

Note the various benches and shaded places that are scattered all over the space complex to take occasional breaks during the long walks in a very warm Orlando afternoon in June, especially on a heated concrete surface.

Alert: Make sure to carry lot of drinking water and of course your favorite summer cap or hat.

Astronaut Training Center, Kennedy Space Center, OrlandoAstronaut Training Center, Kennedy Space Center, Orlando

The IMAX theatre was the most amazing experience I've had in a long time.

IMAX Theatre, Kennedy Space Center, OrlandoIMAX Theatre, Kennedy Space Center, Orlando

Note: They have their own little restaurant inside though carrying outside food is permissible.

There are two shows, and the timings are shown below:

IMAX Theatre Restaurant, Kennedy Space Center, OrlandoIMAX Theatre Restaurant, Kennedy Space Center, Orlando

Here's the interior view of the IMAX theatre that must be viewed using the free 3D glasses that can be collected at the entrance.

IMAX Theatre Show, Kennedy Space Center, OrlandoIMAX Theatre Show, Kennedy Space Center, Orlando

The space shop is hyped as the world's largest and that must be true since I almost lost directions inside this souvenir shop that sold exorbitantly priced gifts around the space theme.

The objects included rocket toys, space suits for the kids, caps, mugs, jackets, T-shirts, keychains, and all such regular stuff.

Souvenir and Gift Shop, Kennedy Space Center, OrlandoSouvenir and Gift Shop, Kennedy Space Center, Orlando

The Kennedy Space Center is an overwhelming sight of the shuttles, rockets, satellites and rovers that kept me in awe for the entire visit.

It was definitely much bigger than I expected, especially compared to the Space Center in Houston that I visited a day before.

So much history and so informative, the Kennedy Space Center is a must-see feature of Florida that I definitely recommend, but you certainly can't see it all in a day. Walking around a full day in June 2023 was tiring but well worth it. 

Top Tips and Alerts

1. Parking cost are a steep $10-15 depending on the vehicle.
2. You can bring your own food and drinks in the park.  
3. Don't miss the free bus tour that takes you to where they actually build the rockets.
4. Do the simulation rides first in the morning since they get super crowded after 12 noon when most people come back from the free tour buses.
5. Also, some of the cafes close early, which can limit your dining options if you prefer to have a late lunch or snack.
6. Visited here on a weekend since most people would head to other major attractions like Disney world and Universal Studio on a weekend. 

Tushar_Suradkar_0-1692143435757.png Accessibility Features

Most places starting from the parking to the ticketing counters are accessible.
 Various Galleries and the internal tour bus are accessible via folding ramps.
Strollers are available for rent. 
Mobility scooters are also available for those with difficulty walking.

Where to Stay

I stayed at the La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham that was just across the street opposite the ICON Park.

Orlando Tourist Places

Ripley's Believe or Not

The Escape Game Orlando

Madame Tussauds Orlando

Museum of Illusions Orlando

Universal Studios Florida

Walt Disney World

Orlando, FL, USA
9 comments
Level 9

Re: Kennedy Space Center Orlando, Tour with Tips and Alerts

Dear @Tushar_Suradkar 

It sounds like your visit to the Kennedy Space Center was truly captivating and memorable! Your detailed description of the tour bus, scenic route, electronic display boards, astronaut interaction, and the impressive Saturn 5 rocket replica really brings the experience to life. The excitement and wonder in your words convey how special this place is to you. It's clear that the Kennedy Space Center left a profound impression on you, and your appreciation for its uniqueness shines through. Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us!

I hope this post will be helpful for them in future if they want to visit. 

Best Regards 

Greetings from Barishal, Bangladesh.
Level 7

Thanks Tushar for such helpful details and beautiful pictures.

Muhammad Yousuf
Level 9

This is an absolutely amazing post that includes useful information. Before going there, we can actually utilize it as a reference. The descriptions and images are all too good.

Thanks for sharing with us @Tushar_Suradkar !

Cheers!

Level 9

Necely articulated as always bro @Tushar_Suradkar 

Today only I got boarding pass for MARS HAHAHA. 

REGARDS 

ANIL 

BoardingPass_MyNameOnFutureMission.png

Anil Singh

Thanks and Regards

Level 8

Dear @Tushar_Suradkar

EExcellent place. 

VVery nicely presented. 

Abhishek Patki
Connect Moderator

Thank you dear @KamalHossenR for the appreciation - this will give me encouragement to write more 👍

Connect Moderator

Bon voyage...! dear @Anil6969 

Congratulations... 👍 and happy journey to Mars 😄

Level 8

Your visit to Orlando seems an incredible experience!  The Rocket Garden and the replica of the Saturn 5 rocket were awe-inspiring. The Gateway Building and the Universal Theatre offered a glimpse into the history and future of space exploration. The IMAX Theatre and the space shop were also highlights of the visit. Thank you @Tushar_Suradkar  for the helpful tips and alerts, such as bringing your own food, taking the free bus tour, and doing the simulation rides in the morning. The accessibility features provided are commendable, making it inclusive for everyone. Overall, the Kennedy Space Center in Orlando is a must-visit destination with its rich history and captivating exhibits.

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Connect Moderator

Thank you, dears @ajitthite @Rohan10 for your appreciation 👍 😊