LuisMGonzalez's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

The day Google (and a snow blizzard) made possible a family reunion 15 years in the making

To many of us, this unique and still unbelievable experience of Connect Live 2019, was in many ways personal. In my case, the weather, God or destiny, decided to make my first Connect Live day a milestone in my life.

The same day I was traveling to San Jose invited by Google I was able to see and hug my parents after 15 years of physical separation. In 2007 I left my home country (Venezuela) and moved to my new home (Montreal, Canada).  Sadly the situation in Venezuela made it impossible for me to visit them.

A few years ago the still difficult situation in my homeland forced my brother and sister to move to the USA. More recently, at the beginning of 2019, my parents managed to leave Venezuela and join my siblings in the USA. Many times we tried to have a get-together but there was always something that changed our plans. 

The Universe started to conspire at 1:00 am when I received an email from the airline announcing the cancellation of my flight Montreal-Chicago-San Jose, due to a snow blizzard. The only alternative was to reroute me down to the south to the warm embrace of my parents and family at the International Airport of Miami, Florida.

After an unforgettable six hours of hugs and kisses, I said goodbye to my family and continued my trip to San Francisco and later San Jose. I never expected that after arriving that late (after 10 pm) the amazing Local Guides and Google Moderators would be waiting for me with such energy and joy.

From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank all my dear fellow Local Guides for the warm reception and for all the help and support through the unofficial chat (I was never alone in my adventure) that helped me end my day in such a positive note. That was only the beginning of one of the best experiences of my life: Connect Live 2019 in San Jose.

I felt like I was getting to know my new best friends. I will never forget the amazing day that was November 12, 2019. Connect Live is for this reason and many others a personal matter to me.

I am thankful for the encounter of so many different cultures, the constant exchange of knowledge and experiences in English, French, and Spanish. I enjoyed the possibility of knowing better Google Maps, discovering all the options we have to help and contribute on Maps, Street View and Google Earth.

I really appreciated the attention that Googlers paid to our opinions and ideas. We felt recognized and empowered. We felt at home!

Gracias. Merci. Thanks.Joy and pure energy from my fellow Local Guides.Joy and pure energy from my fellow Local Guides.

Happiness is family time!Happiness is family time!

Winter was unable to stop my trip to SJ.Winter was unable to stop my trip to SJ.

29 comments
Level 9

Re: The day Google (and a snow blizzard) made possible a family reunion 15 years in the making

Che Luis que linda historia que contaste. Por un lado lo malo que está pasando en tu país natal que obliga a mucha gente a dejarlo para buscar un mejor futuro para ellos y sus familias. Te cuento que acá en Rosario hay muchos pero muchos compatriotas tuyos que vinieron  buscando un mejor pasar y todos son muy laburantes, muy respetuosos,  siempre con la alegría característica de ustedes, y siempre con muy buena onda.

Y por otro lado veo que  las inclemencias del tiempo jugaron a tu favor y te permitieron poder encontrarte con tus padres ( me imagino la alegría) por un lado y  llegar a San José para encontrarte con un montón de gente maravillosa de todo el mundo.

Linda historia.

Te dejo un abrazo.

@LuisMGonzalez 

 ROSARIO - ARGENTINA
Connect Moderator

Re: The day Google (and a snow blizzard) made possible a family reunion 15 years in the making

Hi, @LuisMGonzalez 

Thank you for sharing this lovely story. All the best of luck to you and your family:-)
Level 8

Hi @LuisMGonzalez, Google must be feeling proud after knowing your story. And, we're happy about your journey. Best wishes!

Read about Bangladesh's biggest book market
Nilkhet Book Market : Book Heaven in Dhaka

#bdlg
Level 10

Nice story, thanks for sharing @LuisMGonzalez 

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Connect Moderator

Hi @LuisMGonzalez,

very lovely story, and this makes even more great this event. Glad you made it and very nice pleasure being meeting you, can't forget that picture in the hall when you just arrived and we did welcome you (credits to @KarenVChin who read on time your message on the chat).

A very big hug from Italy and I hope to see you again somewhere.

Group selfie with LG @luismconzalez and several other LG at the Google Event Center MP7 - Local guide @LuigiZGroup selfie with LG @luismconzalez and several other LG at the Google Event Center MP7 - Local guide @LuigiZ

| | | | - La decisione più coraggiosa che puoi prendere ogni giorno è quella di essere di buon umore 🙂

Level 10

@LuisMGonzalez Thank you for sharing! Through the unofficial chat we all followed your adventure! I appreciate also the brainstorming we have togheter in the first afternoon activities realted to reviews value!

Level 8

@LuisMGonzalezMan its just great to know that you get to meet your family. And even after so much trouble with flights and weather you attended the event with full enthusiasm. Cheers to you.

Level 10

@LuigiZ  you are really a kind and amazing person. You are one of the first names I learned. Sometimes I was wondering if you weren't annoyed of the fact that every time you passed by I yelled at you in a bad Italian accent: LUIGIIIIIIII !!!!!!!

I just want to let you know that it was my way of telling you: I know you and you are great.

Abrazo desde la nieve, caro !

Level 10

@HiroyukiTakisawa thank you for your kind words. Wish you all the best.