PennyChristie's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Taking sunrise and sunset photos in Hawaii.

Anybody who knows me, knows I love taking photos of the amazing colours that paint the sky during a sunrise or sunset; and I especially love taking those photos near the ocean.  The water reflects different shades of oranges, yellows, pinks and purple.  Every sunrise and sunset is unique and absolutely beautiful.  I am always surprised and stuck watching in awe and wonder.  Having a few clouds scattered in the sky makes the experience so much better.  They create a glorious light show that changes with every minute.  

While watching a sunrise or sunset, most people usually face the sun, however I also try to remember to turn around and have a look at the "reverse" sunrise or sunset.  The glow in the sky behind you is lovely and usually turns the sky a beautiful pink.  Don't forget to take a few selfies while you are facing this way because the glow on your face is definitely #nofilter worthy.

Tips for taking SUNRISE photos:

- Find a spot about half an hour before the actual sun rises over the horizon, because that's when you will get the best colours across the sky.

- Find a spot that has interesting things to photograph like trees (especially palm trees), flowers, people, boats, etc.

Tips for taking SUNSET photos: 

- Find a spot you can sit and relax to watch mother nature's best show.

- Don't stop watching when the sun sets under the horizon, especially if there are a few clouds in the sky, because the show isn't over..

Here are a few sunrise and sunset photos I took on my recent trip to Hawaii from 11 to 21 January 2019.  The sunsets were so pretty with all of the palm trees along Waikiki Beach.  I took all of these photos using my iPhone XS and they are straight off my phone without any editing.

Show me your favourite sunrise or sunset photos, that you’ve taken, in the comments below. 

Sunset behind a wave at Shark's Cove, O'ahu HawaiiSunset behind a wave at Shark's Cove, O'ahu HawaiiLocal Guide Level 8 Penny Christie taking a selfie during a sunset at Shark's Cove, O'ahu Hawaii.Local Guide Level 8 Penny Christie taking a selfie during a sunset at Shark's Cove, O'ahu Hawaii.Pineapple in front of sunset on Waikiki Beach, Hawaii.Pineapple in front of sunset on Waikiki Beach, Hawaii.Waiting for the sun to rise over Diamond Head in Waikiki Hawaii.Waiting for the sun to rise over Diamond Head in Waikiki Hawaii.Sunset at Waikiki Beach Hawaii.Sunset at Waikiki Beach Hawaii.Sunset over Waikiki Beach Hawaii.Sunset over Waikiki Beach Hawaii.Sunset with palm trees on Waikiki Beach Hawaii.Sunset with palm trees on Waikiki Beach Hawaii.People admiring the sunset at Shark's Cove, Hawaii.People admiring the sunset at Shark's Cove, Hawaii.Sunset over Waikiki Beach with a cruise ship on the horizon.Sunset over Waikiki Beach with a cruise ship on the horizon.My daughter Chrystal posing for me in front of a beautiful sunset in Waikiki Hawaii.My daughter Chrystal posing for me in front of a beautiful sunset in Waikiki Hawaii.My daughter Chrystal jumping for me while the sun rises over Diamond Head, Waikiki Hawaii.My daughter Chrystal jumping for me while the sun rises over Diamond Head, Waikiki Hawaii.

41 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Taking sunrise and sunset photos in Hawaii.

Hi @PennyChristie,

I am really impressed by your pictures as I think that the Ocean has a particular magnetism in terms of sunrise and sunset. I had the first chance to see the Atlantic sea sunset only two years ago, when I visited Portugal and the colours of that moment are still vivid in my eyes. 

Caption: view from Moledo do Minho ( Portugal)Caption: view from Moledo do Minho ( Portugal)

Regarding this topic why don't you also take a look also on the post How is sunrise and sunset in your city?

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Thank you so much @Sorbe , your photo is beautiful. Having the opportunity to watch a sunrise or sunset over the ocean is a special moment and absolutely life changing.

Level 9

Beautiful pictures @PennyChristie wonderful post thank you for sharing with us.....

Connect Moderator

Connect Moderator

wow.

That's impressive @PennyChristie

Could I please get the link to the complete album 🙂

Connect Moderator

Thanks @OmerAli I haven’t created a Google photo album yet, but when I do, I’ll send you the link. 

Level 10

Hi @PennyChristie!

Your photos are simple amazing! 

Love the colors and the compositions, you have a beautiful and great mastery to seize the moment!

Thanks for sharing with us these wonderful holidays with your family!

Bye,

David

Level 9

Great shots and post, @PennyChristie

Especially like the pineapple! The tip about turning around away from the sun is really cool – easy to forget that one.

Just remembering when we photographed the sunset over the SF bay at the end of our amazing photowalk 🙂

Stuart

Connect Moderator