RobAo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

[Story Time] - Interesting experiences while mapping an area

While mapping out where I stay, I had to ask for permission before taking photos and adding a business to the map.

Here's one of the most common conversations:

Me: Can I take a photo/add this business to google maps?

Shop attendant: "My boss gets angry easily and won't approve of it"

Me: May I call him/her and ask?

*ringing*

Me: Hi X, (explains what Google Maps is and why I'm adding their business)

X: Sure, not a problem. Thank you.

What experiences have you had and if possible, how did you overcome them?

Nairobi, Nairobi County, Kenya
2 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: [Story Time] - Interesting experiences while mapping an area

@RobAoA nice experience share!!

Some of Business owner are very responsible about their Business on maps .

Some are in doubts , what is your benefits to put my Business on Google maps,me- Its your benefits or good for your Business promotion or easily reach to Customers, or its my hobby or as a volunteer work,  then they say wow! great!!or thanks to you and Google maps.. thats my experience.

Level 7

Re: [Story Time] - Interesting experiences while mapping an area

I have a story to tell! I was taking 360 degree photospheres with the Street View app and a Google loaned camera, a Ricoh Theta S. I was at the local museum but mapping the exterior into a tour (it is situated in a historic marine dock).

Then the rain began to fall, only a small amount, but anyone who has used a 360 camera with dual fisheye lenses will tell you that even one drop in a sky will hit one of the lenses!

I decided to go indoors and take some pictures there. The Theta was still mounted on the tripod, although its protective cover was on. The tripod was extended fully but the legs were folded in. I arrived at the desk and queued behind some other people waiting to see the man on the information desk and ask permission to take pictures, at this point the Theta and tripod were carried under my arm.  When he had finished serving the person in front of me, he got up and moved across to a phone and made a call, I couldn't hear him as he was whispering. He then came towards and nervously asked me what I was carrying. I explained it was a 360 camera and I was looking to take pictures. He breathed a sigh of relief, as he thought it was some kind of gun - possibly an automatic weapon! At this point a security guard came bursting through the door and the man explained that it was all a mistake, he had obviously been calling security!

Anyway, I was granted permission to "shoot"!