RobAo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

#49DaysOfThrowback Photo Challenge

The last few weeks I found myself going through old photos that I had taken but never really reused them. Some of them ended up in maps and I thought of a challenge to share moments of places I captured and that are on Maps. The photos are going to be in this post as a thread so as not to spam Connect. Added a brief on how I ended up taking the shot.

Some of the photos have been sourced from my hard drives and Google Photos (good thing it stores thousands of photos and videos dating back to Lord knows when) that I’ve also uploaded to Google Maps. On social, I'll tag the posts as #49DaysOfThrowback, #LocalGuidesConnect and #LetsGuide..

Day 1

Cairo Opera House (Photo By RobAo)Cairo Opera House (Photo By RobAo)

Travelled for work to collect stock media for use in Egypt. This was from the first day touring Cairo with my host/ local guide. There were restrictions around photography at the time however I was glad someone could speak in Arabic and negotiate for me whenever the police asked questions.

Day 2

Fort Jesus Little Planet (Photo by RobAo)Fort Jesus Little Planet (Photo by RobAo)

First time in Mombasa as an adult, had to carry a 360 camera and map this place. My brother, @Benarudo, covered it already so you can imagine my shock when my fellow flesh and blood mapped out a territory I wanted.

Day 3

The Nairobi Bus, Kenya (Converted Bus that's a Canon Photography Workshop)The Nairobi Bus, Kenya (Converted Bus that's a Canon Photography Workshop)

Looking to expand knowledge in photography, I visited The Bus, Nairobi for a Canon Photography Workshop. These buses were used years ago by Kenya Bus Services however they were decommissioned. Majority of them are rotting in some bus yard somewhere however this one was given a second lease of life.

Day 4

Rogers Center, Toronto, Canada (Viewed from the Glass Floor on the CN Tower 342m from the ground)Rogers Center, Toronto, Canada (Viewed from the Glass Floor on the CN Tower 342m from the ground)

During a sponsored trip to Toronto by Tim Horton's/CCM, this shot was taken from the glass floor of the CN Tower. The tower has a 360° view of Toronto including views of Lake Ontario (come to think of it, I think I could see the US on the other side). At the time of publication, this is the tallest building in the Northern Hemisphere that I've climbed (see tallest in Southern Hemisphere later below). 

Day 5

Temple Square, Salt Lake City (Photo by RobAo)Temple Square, Salt Lake City (Photo by RobAo)

Post Connect 2018, visited Salt Lake to meet my mission companions and leaders. By the time I left Australia, none of us knew if we'd ever meet again. One of my leaders took me around Temple Square which is really impressive seeing in person.

Day 6:

Kigali Convention Center, Kigali (Photo by RobAo)Kigali Convention Center, Kigali (Photo by RobAo)

Travelled for work collecting stock content for use, the office was next to the Kigali Conference Center. Most photos online show it all lit up and in colour, I wanted to capture it in the daylight by the famous Rwandese hills.

Day 7

View of Melbourne with the State Theatre in the foreground and Melbourne Cricket Ground in the mid-ground (Photo by RobAo)View of Melbourne with the State Theatre in the foreground and Melbourne Cricket Ground in the mid-ground (Photo by RobAo)

This is a real throwback to 2014 when I first got to tour Melbourne on a day off. The photo was taken from the tallest building in the southern hemisphere (at the time) standing at 297.3m, the Eureka Skydeck. It was also here that a group of young men and women were challenged and learned how to properly say the Welsh place called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Recently learned there's a new place in New Zealand called Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu.

Day 8

Nairobi Mamba Village (Photo by RobAo)Nairobi Mamba Village (Photo by RobAo)

When most people come to visit Nairobi, the main place that's recommended is Giraffe Center where they can feed giraffes by hand or by mouth. (Legend has it that Giraffe saliva is like an antiseptic). On the other side of the main road lies Nairobi Mamba Village where at set times of the day you get to see crocodiles getting fed by someone with a bucket and a long pole. 

Day 9

Nairobi Mamba Village (Photo: RobAO)Nairobi Mamba Village (Photo: RobAO)

Touring local tourist spots you'll always find interesting places that aren't often highlighted in tour guides. Within the same Mamba Village is a field with ostriches which don't quite get as many visits hence seem friendlier than others I've encountered. Maybe they weren't feeling peckish at the time. 

Day 10

Welcome to World Trade Centre PATH Station aka The Oculus, New York, USA (Photo by RobAO)Welcome to World Trade Centre PATH Station aka The Oculus, New York, USA (Photo by RobAO)

The above image doesn't do justice to the purity in the whiteness of The Oculus (no WB, straight outta the camera). Situated near where the original World Trade Centre Towers were built, The Oculus is part mall, part train station (WTC Cortlandt, best station name ever) and part magnificent architecture. This shot was taken while I was taken on my first tour of the city by my US based coworker.

Day 11

Viva las SFO, San Fransisco, USA (Photo by RobAO)Viva las SFO, San Fransisco, USA (Photo by RobAO)

This was from my first time travelling to the US. @InnocensiaO and I were selected to attend LG Summit 2017 and arrived a day early to crash at my friends' place while adjusting into the jet lag and culture shock. A few minutes later after this photo, we were introduced to God's gift to fast food and king of the East Coast Vs West Coast meal battle - In-N-Out Burgers. 

Day 12:

Leopard Tank donated by Jerilderie R.S.L, Jerilderie, NSW, Australia (Returned and Services League)Leopard Tank donated by Jerilderie R.S.L, Jerilderie, NSW, Australia (Returned and Services League)

Picture this: It's early in the morning, sun is not yet out, you and your compadre are driving down the Australian outback in a Toyota Corolla. In between every small town is nothing but plain flat land plus rolling the window down you get that good ol' fresh kangaroo roadkill aroma (First time I ate kangaroo meat, mind reeled back to that road trip. As the sun starts light up the sky and your body wants to stretch, this beauty rocks up into your view. There are no barriers around it so you can get up close to it. What would you do?

Day 13

Outdoor Rink (ODR) at the Seoul Plaza Skating Rink, South Korea (Photo by RobAO)Outdoor Rink (ODR) at the Seoul Plaza Skating Rink, South Korea (Photo by RobAO)

During the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics, our sponsors took us on a trip around Seoul. Due to the games, all rinks were in use and we couldn't have a friendly match with a local team. Checking on maps seems like it's closed during other seasons.

Day 14

Early morning foggy Day at the Aspire Lounge, Schipol Airport, Amsterdam (Photo by RobAO)Early morning foggy Day at the Aspire Lounge, Schipol Airport, Amsterdam (Photo by RobAO)

Long hour layover in Schipol Airport especially early in the morning meant discovering the what the airport had to offer. No flights were moving early in the morning due to the heavy fog and there was minimal traffic at the time moving in and out. Two hours later, skies were clear and traffic was back in business. 

Day 15: Burger B (Seoul, South Korea) (Permanently Closed)

Burger B Kitchen & Bar, Seodaemun-gu, Seoul (Photo by RobAo)Burger B Kitchen & Bar, Seodaemun-gu, Seoul (Photo by RobAo)

My hosts in South Korea took us to several restaurants (Does Dunkin' Donut count?) Most of the challenges we faced in most South Korean restaurants was language barrier and certain foods were too spicy for my team mates. Burger B stood out the most as their menu was minimal yet effective to any visitor whether local or not. There was someone who also spoke English albeit not fluently with us. Maybe it's most memorable because there was a Kenyan who worked there but was in school when we arrived ?.

Day 16: Ongata Rongai Market, Kajiado

Ongata Rongai Market (Photo by RobAo's wife)Ongata Rongai Market (Photo by RobAo's wife)

Day 17: 

Save Water campaign at Radisson Blu, Cape Town in days preceeding 2018 Water Crisis (Photo by RobAo)Save Water campaign at Radisson Blu, Cape Town in days preceeding 2018 Water Crisis (Photo by RobAo)

Day 18

Waterfall at Oloolua Nature Trail, Nairobi, Kenya (Photo by RobAo)Waterfall at Oloolua Nature Trail, Nairobi, Kenya (Photo by RobAo)

Day 19

Trophies in the Hockey Hall of Fame including the Stanley Cup, Toronto, Canada (Photo by RobAo)Trophies in the Hockey Hall of Fame including the Stanley Cup, Toronto, Canada (Photo by RobAo)

Day 20

Hills of Kampala, Uganda (Photo by RobAO)Hills of Kampala, Uganda (Photo by RobAO)

Day 21

Post Women's Canada vs Russia [Olympic Athletes From Russia], Gangneung Hockey Center, Pyeongchang, South Korea (Photo for RobAO)Post Women's Canada vs Russia [Olympic Athletes From Russia], Gangneung Hockey Center, Pyeongchang, South Korea (Photo for RobAO)

Day 22

Inside the tomb in the Great Pyramid of Cheops [Khufu] (Photo by RobAo)Inside the tomb in the Great Pyramid of Cheops [Khufu] (Photo by RobAo)

Day 23

Reflection of the CN Tower, Toronto (Photo by RobAO)Reflection of the CN Tower, Toronto (Photo by RobAO)

Day 24

Ngong Hills viewed from South B Estate, Nairobi (Photo by RobAo)Ngong Hills viewed from South B Estate, Nairobi (Photo by RobAo)

Day 25

Narrow stairwell leading up to a tomb in the Pyramid of Khufu, Giza, Egypt (Photo by RobAo)Narrow stairwell leading up to a tomb in the Pyramid of Khufu, Giza, Egypt (Photo by RobAo)

Day 26

Boats and carwash at Lake Victoria, Misori, Kenya (Photo by RobAo)Boats and carwash at Lake Victoria, Misori, Kenya (Photo by RobAo)

Day 27

Empty Bellville Velodrome, Cape Town (Photo by RobAo)Empty Bellville Velodrome, Cape Town (Photo by RobAo)

Day 28 

Fake city for a commercial shoot in Paarl, Cape Town, South Africa. Cape Winelands are in the background  (Photo by RobAo)Fake city for a commercial shoot in Paarl, Cape Town, South Africa. Cape Winelands are in the background (Photo by RobAo)

Day 29

Anti Rhino Poaching artwork by artist, Andre Carl van der Merwe (Photo by RobAo)Anti Rhino Poaching artwork by artist, Andre Carl van der Merwe (Photo by RobAo)

Day 30

Tuktuk food cart at Quickmart Supermarket in Nairobi, Kenya (Photo by RobAo)Tuktuk food cart at Quickmart Supermarket in Nairobi, Kenya (Photo by RobAo)

Nairobi, Kenya
14 comments
Level 7

Re: #49DaysOfThrowback Photo Challenge

@RobAo A Throwback Photo Challenge is a great idea! Thanks for this inspiration and post!

Level 8

Day 2Fort Jesus, Little Planet (Photo by Rob Ao)Fort Jesus, Little Planet (Photo by Rob Ao)

(Just incase this thread grows too much, I'll be updating the main post as well)

Level 8

Almost late by 1 minute to submit this one.

The Nairobi Bus, Kenya (Converted Bus that's a Canon Photography Workshop)The Nairobi Bus, Kenya (Converted Bus that's a Canon Photography Workshop)

Level 8

Rogers Center, Toronto, Canada (Viewed from the Glass Floor on the CN Tower 342m from the ground)Rogers Center, Toronto, Canada (Viewed from the Glass Floor on the CN Tower 342m from the ground)

Connect Moderator

Very cool idea @RobAo  - I'm a fan of your photography so I've bookmarked this cause I'd like to follow along! 

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 8

Update: Added a short brief behind how I got to capture the photos in the relative places. Merging yesterday and today's post

Day 5

Post Connect 2018, visited Salt Lake to meet my mission companions and leaders. By the time I left Australia, none of us knew if we'd ever meet again. One of my leaders took me around Temple Square which is really impressive seeing in person.

Temple Square, Salt Lake City (Photo by RobAo)Temple Square, Salt Lake City (Photo by RobAo)

Day 6

Travelled for work collecting stock content for use, the office was next to the Kigali Conference Center. Most photos online show it all lit up and in color, I wanted to capture it in the daylight by the famous Rwandese hills.

Kigali Convention Center, Kigali (Photo by RobAo)Kigali Convention Center, Kigali (Photo by RobAo)

Level 8

Thanks for the love @SP31. If you go through your photo history, you'll also find a ton of gems that you can join in on the challenge.

Level 8

Day 7

View of Melbourne with the State Theatre in the foreground and Melbourne Cricket Ground in the mid-ground (Photo by RobAo)View of Melbourne with the State Theatre in the foreground and Melbourne Cricket Ground in the mid-ground (Photo by RobAo)

This is a real throwback to 2014 when I first got to tour Melbourne on a day off. The photo was taken from the tallest building in the southern hemisphere (at the time) standing at 297.3m, the Eureka Skydeck. It was also here that a group of young men and women were challenged and learned how to properly say the Welsh place called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Recently learned there's a new place in New Zealand called Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu.

Level 8

Day 8

Nairobi Mamba Village (Photo by RobAo)Nairobi Mamba Village (Photo by RobAo)

When most people come to visit Nairobi, the main place that's recommended is Giraffe Center where they can feed giraffes by hand or by mouth. (Legend has it that Giraffe saliva is like an antiseptic). On the other side of the main road lies Nairobi Mamba Village where at set times of the day you get to see crocodiles getting fed by someone with a bucket and a long pole. 

Day 9

Nairobi Mamba Village (Photo: RobAO)Nairobi Mamba Village (Photo: RobAO)

Touring local tourist spots you'll always find interesting places that aren't often highlighted in tour guides. Within the same Mamba Village is a field with ostriches which don't quite get as many visits hence seem friendlier than others I've encountered. Maybe they weren't feeling peckish at the time.