FrancescDomingo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Should I write a detailed review or just say "very nice"?

Screenshots from Google Maps displaying photos and videos uploaded by Francesc Domingo, featuring various locations in the Basque Country, including the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao.Screenshots from Google Maps displaying photos and videos uploaded by Francesc Domingo, featuring various locations in the Basque Country, including the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao.

Hello fellow Local Guides and moderators,

Some time ago, I wrote a post on this forum about a detailed review I wrote for a restaurant, and how I believe the non-publication of some reviews can negatively impact businesses. You can find the post here: “How the selection of reviews can negatively impact business reputation” . However, this has not been an isolated case. I have had similar issues with other reviews that have also gone unpublished. It's important to note that the majority of my reviews do get published, but there was a period of weeks when none of my reviews were published. While this doesn't seem to be the case anymore, I occasionally find that some of my reviews or updates are not published... few in any case.

As a Local Guide, my main goal is to assist other users by providing valuable information about the places I have visited. However, if these reviews are not published, I cannot fulfill this goal. Moreover, the more reviews I publish, the higher the chances that Google might close my account, as I have seen in many cases in this forum.

Recently, I was on vacation and visited several points of interest, restaurants, and a hotel. I have already uploaded some photos, 360 photos, and videos from these experiences to Google Maps, and it seems that all of them have been published, with some even being highlighted. However, I still have many more to upload, but I have not written any reviews yet. This brings me to my dilemma: Should I invest my time in writing detailed and useful reviews that may not get published?

In addition, I have noticed that brief and less informative reviews, such as "very nice", seem to get published more often and also grant points. If my goal was simply to accumulate points, I could opt for this approach. But my goal is to provide useful and detailed reviews. I am not in favor of the points system as I believe it negatively affects the quality of Google Maps.

Since I wrote my unpublished reviews, I have filled out Google's form two times to report this issue, but the reviews remain unpublished. I don't want to have to edit and delete parts of my reviews to try to guess what content might be acceptable to Google.

Furthermore, I find it confusing that some of my reviews get published and are classified as "most relevant", while others are not published at all.

This brings us to a common dilemma: Should we continue writing detailed reviews, with photos and videos, for the hotels, restaurants, and places of interest that we visit? Or should we definitively discard wasting time writing reviews and look for other ways to contribute through other channels? I like the idea of being a local guide, but I don't like spending time on tasks that may or may not see the light of day depending on factors I don't understand.

Just a reflection...

I would appreciate any advice or perspective you can offer.

Thank you for your time.

Francesc Domingo

3 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Should I write a detailed review or just say "very nice"?

Hello @FrancescDomingo 

Nice to E-meet you here and happy connect @ 7. I love your article and all the vibes behind it. I can see a bit of potential energy in it and in you as well. If harnessed well,it will go places on the forum and beyond. Your article is quite original. I can understand what you feel,I have hidden reviews as well mind you.....

Now that said,one thing we can't rule out is there is no perfect human beings. Their is no perfect machine or robot or organisation either. Now we have to say Google is not an exception to the rule or would you say reality stated above.

Although I have restrained from writing reveiws for now. Yet I'll say a detailed informative review is still the thing to go by. I either write a good review or I don't write anything at all.  Nice, very nice, Interesting, etc  Is not an option for me as far a reviews go.You don't stop driving because your car has a fault do you? You dont stop forever in life because you failed an exam do you? You try to tackle the fault and get driving and living  on in life. 

I like the idea of being a local guide as well as you can see and am enjoying it still. There are lots of activities on the maps,drawing roads,editing POIs,answering questions etc. Please don't stop writing good detailed reviews in the hope that one day the technical glitch will be solved. Nothing goes on forever problems faults technical issues etc

Happy guiding 

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder | Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Level 10

Nice post @FrancescDomingo about the idea of contributing.

Definitely, it is not appreciated just saying "very nice" or something like that, and a detailed review will help a lot from many aspects.  It is also advised by Google in Tips for writing great reviews.

Although we see lots of troubles these days, this shouldn't stop us from contributing because these problems will solve as @SholaIB perfectly mentioned.

Even these days when our reviews aren't published, our feedback is effective to make something better. And after the problem gets resolved our reviews will help people directly. So, don't think our reviews aren't effective in such a condition 😉

By the way, your shots are amazing. I love art galleries and museums and your photos perfectly describe these places from a nice angle.

And... I think "How-tos" board is better for this post.

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
Level 5
Level 5

Hello@FrancescDomingo,

Thank you airing out your grievances to the Connect Community. Mine is just a piece of advise. Like the last two comments. Please don't stop writing detailed reviews of places you visit. You are helping many people around the world.

Like the Google moderator stated in his comment, I believe most of approvals are manged by bots so as such, are bound to be some errors in doing so. 

Looking forward to seeing your reviews.