LucioV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Rovine, ruins, resti, remains

Yesterday, these words gave a lot of historical, important, results for the city of Rome, a city with more than 2700 year of history.

"Resti, ruins, rovine, remains" are all archeological toponym that, associated with main feature name, give an exact name of a feature.

@Csaba could confirm my words, being an archaeologist, and @ErmesT could confirm living in Italy, a country with thousands and thousands years of history.

Well, today, many of these toponyms have been deleted from maps, and I cannot find it anymore.

Today Google Maps is less complete than yesterday, and things that exist since thousand of years have been lost.

This is so sad, for the community and for maps, not only for connect.

Never ever post in public about places you care.

Could someone investigate what happened to these places?

18 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Rovine, ruins, resti, remains

@LucioV This is really a bad news my friend. When I see like this can't feel normal but always it happens in our around. Spaming, Duplicate, wrong suggestions or many other issue...!! 

But who cares this?

I also noticed that our country important Archeological site have in this spamming I suggested but not approved  

I will also write about this matter quickly.. 

Happy Guiding !!!

Level 10

@ShafiulB wrote:

@LucioV This is really a bad news my friend. When I see like this can't feel normal but always it happens in our around. Spaming, Duplicate, wrong suggestions or many other issue...!! 

But who cares this?

I also noticed that our country important Archeological site have in this spamming I suggested but not approved  

I will also right about this quickly.. 

The worst thing is that i cannot do nothing to make this places have their correct names back or re-create if deleted, because they weren't my edits or adds at all.

So I will have to find them during my mapping activities in the city, and correct back to the original names; you know, I'm not here for points, but to make maps better for everyone, but this is really going to be hard to do.

Connect Moderator

Hello @LucioV,

At this point it appears this might simply be a search that isn't producing the results you are seeking.  Do you have specific examples of multiple items that were on the map but no longer appear?

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Connect Moderator

@LucioV wrote:

@ShafiulB wrote:

But who cares this?

The worst thing is that i cannot do nothing to make this places have their correct names back or re-create if deleted, because they weren't my edits or adds at all.

So I will have to find them during my mapping activities in the city, and correct back to the original names; you know, I'm not here for points, but to make maps better for everyone, but this is really going to be hard to do.

You are right @LucioV i can imagine your thoughts ... 

But dont  worry my friend keep it up....

Level 10

@ShafiulB wrote:

@LucioV wrote:

@ShafiulB wrote:

But who cares this?

The worst thing is that i cannot do nothing to make this places have their correct names back or re-create if deleted, because they weren't my edits or adds at all

You are right @LucioV i can imagine your thoughts ... 

But dont  worry my friend keep it up....

Thanks.

It's not easy trying to perfect maps, deleting spam, we are all involved in spam removal, and to see legit places removed or edited just for personal pleasure.

Thanks @KarenVChin for moving the thread in the right place, but I cannot receive any support here; i wonder if this is some kind of stress test.

Level 10

@Flash wrote:

Hello @LucioV,

At this point it appears this might simply be a search that isn't producing the results you are seeking.  Do you have specific examples of multiple items that were on the map but no longer appear?

Thanks @Flash, the search I did yesterday for the keywords "ruins" or "rovine" in the Rome area, gave me hundred of legit results (According to many sources as like as Wikipedia), but I never added nor even edited some of these, so I cannot find in my contributes tab, and I'm not able to find it anymore.

So I can imagine these are lost until someone else will change back to the correct names or add again, if deleted.

Can you have a look to recent changes done in the area of Rome since yesterday? The way we use to look in mapmaker, as TC and RER I can imagine you have access to some tools that could allow you some investigation.

Any help in getting back correct names for archaelogical ruins in Rome will be appreciated.

Thanks

Level 10

Hi @LucioV, do you mean that the places were deleted as POI's or their names changed and the "ruin" part of the name deleted (only)? Sorry but reading your posts this was not clear to me. 

On a personal note: of course, when it's a ruin, I also usually add this fact to the name. After all, it's indeed part of the name.

Level 10

@Csaba wrote:

Hi @LucioV, do you mean that the places were deleted as POI's or their names changed and the "ruin" part of the name deleted (only)? Sorry but reading your posts this was not clear to me. 

On a personal note: of course, when it's a ruin, I also usually add this fact to the name. After all, it's indeed part of the name.

Hi @Csaba both. I cannot be sure of what happened to these places, as you can read in the linked discussion, some may have been deleted, and some may have been edited.

The point is that I'm not able to find them, as I didn't added or edited by myself; only a Googler that can access edits in the area, as we did with Map Maker, could understand what happened.

Thanks for sharing with me your best practice, that is also mine.

Level 9

@LucioV this is sad.  Is not possible at all add these places again?