AlphaSays's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

(Recap) Africa Virtual Meetup 2.0

Photo caption: Photo collage and poster from the Africa Local Guides meetupPhoto caption: Photo collage and poster from the Africa Local Guides meetup

Africa Virtual meetup 2.0 is a sequel of Africa Virtual Meetup 1.0 aimed to connect Local Guides all across Africa to further do quality contribution on Google Maps and on Local Guides Connect. In addition, to educate, share challenges and solutions with African Local Guides which will subsequently result in the growth of Local Guides communities and contributions across the continent. AVM 3.0 will be hosted in Sudan on Saturday, 27th June 2020.

AVM 2.0 was hosted in Banjul, The Gambia on Saturday 30th May 2020 and about 40 Local Guides joined from Africa (Cameroon, Congo, Gambia, Ghana, Nigeria, Sudan, South Africa, Zambia) and across the globe. The meetup started with a short introduction and fun facts about our various countries followed by a recap of the first Africa Virtual Meetup then the host country presentation, I and @EduarddeBoer  both presented about the Gambia and journey as local guides plus Google StreetView. Photo Album 

Presentation Summary: Alpha

The Gambia is the smallest mainland African country with a population of 2.2 million and English is the only official language, there are about 5 major local dialects (Mandinka, Fulani, Wolof, Jula….) The Gambia is famous for its diverse ecosystems and has about 7 kilometres coastline with river Gambia flowing through the centre of the country from west to east. Fish is a staple food in The Gambia because of the Atlantic ocean and the river Gambia. Muslims consist of about 80% followed by Christianity and other religions. Culture, Food, Lifestyle and Things to do available in Xplore Gambia Photo album (Shared album by Gambian Local Guides and Photographers) The Gambia Presentation file. You can learn more about The Gambia on this connect post here

My Gambia Experience is Local Guide: Eduard

Eduard is LG level 10, Street View Trusted Photographer & My Business Provider whose work started with Map Maker as early as 2011 to help local businesses in the Netherlands. His adventure in The Gambia started 2016 where we met at my favourite restaurant (Gaya Art Cafe)  and one of the best restaurants, then Eduard and I started working together and shot the first Streetview in The Gambia on the Senegambia area and highway (the heart of the Gambia). 2 years down the line Eduard had shot 70% of all hotels in The Gambia which sparked tourism to 100% full 3 months advance booking due to overwhelming views of the 360  accumulating 4M in 1 year (twice the Gambia population 😊). His journey continued by supporting many local businesses on Google Maps, startups and other organizations in The Gambia to map the country and increase online visibility. Eduard's goal is to train more local guides from The Gambia across Africa to become StreetView Trusted photography, putting more African businesses on Google Maps as Google My Business Provider.  More available in the recap video or his presentation here.  

@EmekaUlor Remarks: 

1, Local Guides should build data around their journey and share on Connect through the achievements board.

2, He urged the need to provide quality content on Connect as many local guides from Africa are not contributing actively on Connect. He also added that quality contribution to Connect actively can result in promoting Africa and contents sometimes appearing as a search result on Google Search.

3, He expressed his desire of wanting more Local Guides from Africa being helpful on Connect to local guides, answering questions, hosting meetups, activities and being constantly active.

4, Emeka reiterates on making Africa presence felt on Connect, to think about our communities on Google Maps which helps a lot of people also to share knowledge with local guides in our communities please including StreetView

5, He enlightened attendants on the difference, policies and guidelines of being a local guide as a voluntary program and StreetView Trusted Photography which is paid activities.

Questions and Highlights: 

1, I was challenged by Ogechi to sing a Gambian Song 😁

2, What does it take to become a connect moderator so to have more from Africa?

3, How to reduce file size to enhance easy upload on Google Maps, since photo size can be huge and consumes a lot of data?

4, Only about 20% of edits on Sudan gets approved, all the rest stays forever pending or not applied 

Adding missing roads has been a big challenge for many local guides as it doesn’t get accepted, what can be done?

5, Suggestions to organize Africa Local Guides Annual Conference and have different countries host it each year and stream live.

6, Social Media Accounts such as Facebook group, Twitter and Instagram has been created to help to help connect with more African Local Guides. 

Did you know? Fun Facts

1, “The Gambia is also known as the smiling coast of Africa” @ANCHA_SECKA   

2, “Zambia is host to about 13 waterfalls and holds up to 50% water body in Southern Africa’’ @And12-X2 

3, There is salt everywhere in Ebonyi State, Nigeria. You dig you get salt, in the streams you get salt. @ogewuru 

4, That the whole world thinks the Dutch are walking on wooden shoes (also called: "clogs"), but hardly anyone walks on them. Except for farmers, by the way. Most of them walk on wooden shoes. Eduard 

5, Nigeria is the biggest producer of ginger in Africa. Emeka

5, The Gambia is surrounded by Senegal on all three sides and the only country it has borders with. @Jukaliond 

6, Sudan was the biggest country in Africa until it got separated a few years ago, the first one is Sudan and the second one is called South Sudan. You have pyramids and waterfalls in Sudan too. @Hajer-G  

7, Cameroon is Africa in miniature, meaning you can find everything in Cameroon that you can find in other African countries. @nkwetche  

8, South Africa has 11 official languages and most South Africans speak more than two languages and she speaks about 5 fluently. @LeyleyS 

9, You can meet the best people in the world from Ghana. @selormOnray  

10, Nigeria is known for one staple food internationally recognised which is called Jollof Rice, consider yourself not eating food in Nigeria if you don’t eat Jollof rice. Sagri (We need a debate on this)  

Find out more fun facts about Africa from the meetup video above☝️

Banjul, The Gambia
5 comments
Level 8

Re: (Recap) Africa Virtual Meetup 2.0

Great Post @AlphaSays 

Thank you so much!!! 👏👏👏

Can't wait AVM3.0

Y-Nick

Connect Moderator

This is really cool @AlphaSays I've bookmarked the video to watch all of it. I've done a quick flick through for tonight before I go to bed and it was great to hear all the people calling out for their nations. So many happy voices.

Paul

Level 8

This was a great meet-up, I'm glad to have joined,

and I enjoyed listening to the video attached here.Thank you for hosting, great recap, and thank you for sharing @AlphaSays 

Level 10

Hi @AlphaSays  @EduarddeBoer 

Great Recap! You did not missed any detail 😀

I really like hearing and learning from @EduarddeBoer experience.

Thank you again for the wonderful meetup. Can wait for AVM 3.0 edition. 

I want to make sure @KarenVChin will not missed this recap. 

Bye

Nkwetche from #Douala #LetsGuide #Wakawaka #Cameroun
https://www.instagram.com/nkwetche/?hl=fr
Connect Moderator

@nkwetche -- thanks for tagging me. I did read @AlphaSays's recap. I couldn't figure out if non-Africans could attend this meet-up or future Africa Virtual Meet-ups, as in the upcoming 3.0?

Cheers,

Karen