MukulR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

[RECAP] Accessible Bangladesh, Part 7 (Gabtoli Bus Stand)

Gabtoli Bus Stand (Main Entrance0

Gabtoli Bus Stand is the biggest and most important inter-district bus terminal in Dhaka city. This bust terminal plays an important role as the transit hub to the people of many districts of Bangladesh. Every day, thousands of people from/to Dhaka use this bus terminal that makes it very busy. People of North, West, and South Bangladesh use this bus terminal as their transit hub. 

This type of Tactile Footpath is available towards the entrance of Bus Stand

Various kinds of people use this bus terminal for travel and among them, disabled people are not less in number. As a result, the Accessibility features of this bus terminal are very much necessary for disabled people. Prominent Bangladeshi local guide @AbdullahAM  joined me during this meet-up.

During this meet-up we checked the below points:

1.  We checked Wheelchair Accessible parking and entrance.
  2.  We checked the Wheelchair Accessible ramps (if any).
  3.  We checked the availability of wheelchair-accessible toilets/restrooms there
  4.  We checked the other accessibility features found there.
  5.   A discussion session was also there on the importance of Accessibility during the entire meet-up.

This Ramp is situated at the main entrance. 

This ramp is situated at the opposite of the main entrance through which passengers can go to the bus parking area. 

This ramp is situated at the backside of the bus stand, I think this is mainly used by the transport staff. 

This is the second entrance (west end) 

Bus Parking Area

Passenger Parking Area

Inside the terminal and in front of ticket counters 

Passenger waiting room. This is now under maintenance. Authority is making the waiting room fully wheelchair-accessible.

Entrance to the waiting room. Work going on to make wheelchair-accessible.

Wheelchair-accessible washroom. It is nicely marked. You can get pure drinking water here also. To use this washroom by the passengers costs 10 Taka ($1= 84Taka). It has separate washrooms for male and female passengers. The caretaker of this washroom helps disabled passengers to use the washroom properly. I took a video of this washroom, please watch it at the end of this post. 

Wheelchair-accessible washroom for male passengers. 

Wheelchair-accessible washroom for female passengers. 

This kind of wastebin is available in several places inside the terminal. They seemed small in size to me.

This is the third entrance of the bus stand. It is situated in the passenger parking area. A wheelchair-using passenger needs to use the main or the West End entrances to enter the terminal with a wheelchair. 

This public toilet is situated close to the main entrance. Non-passenger can also use this. 

We finished this meet-up with Naan Roti and Daal. 

Me and @AbdullahAM in the passenger parking area.

Missing Features:

During the meet-up, we looked for the below features but did not find any though they may exist somewhere else in the terminal. 

1. 🍼  Breastfeeding room 
2. 🛅 Luggage storage room

3.  Free Wheelchairs for disabled passengers 

Please see this short video to see the inside of the terminal

#AccessibleBangladesh

Related posts:
Accessible Bangladesh, Part: 6  (Mohakhali Inter-District Bus Terminal )- Recap
Accessible Bangladesh, Part: 5  (Dhaka Railway Station)- Recap
Accessible Bangladesh, Part: 4 (Dhaka River Port)- Recap
Accessible Bangladesh, Part: 3 (Barishal River Port Area)- Recap
Accessible Bangladesh, Part: 2 (Chandrima Udyan)- Recap
Accessible Bangladesh, Part:1 (East Kazipara)- Recap

Accessibility Check:
Accessibility check: IEB building

Dhaka, Bangladesh
11 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: [RECAP] Accessible Bangladesh, Part 7 (Gabtoli Bus Stand)

Amazing recap @MukulR 

The photos are really superb and you have captured many in such a simple place.

There are indeed a lot of accessibility features in Gabtoli bus stand.

Also happy to see  @AbdullahAM with you 😊

Do you live in the same place or he traveled for the meetup?

Level 9

Thanks a lot for your appreciation and liking the recap dear @Tushar_Suradkar Dada. This is the biggest Inter-District Bus Terminal in Dhaka city. This a huge public gather place also. I hope you you will like the video that I have added at the bottom of this recap. 

Me and @AbdullahAM Bhai, live in the same city but in different places. He has a motorcycle by which he can easily move and join my meet-ups. 

Thanks once again for supporting me continuously. 

Connect Moderator

Hi @AbdullahAM 

I see that you have done several meetups for accessibility checkups.

Please see the page:

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Accessibility-for-All-The-Movement/td-p/277...

I invite you to join this group 👆

We are like-minded local guides encouraging each other and learning in the process.

Level 8

Another amazing meet-up recap and well written @MukulR . I see: you have covered all area.

Nice plan meet with @AbdullahAM and then start the meet-up.

BTW, I rarely find the brest feeding special area in bus stand. Have you ever seen any specific symbol is used for such type of area ?

================================

Accessibility Champion- Kalyan Pal 

Level 9

First of all, I considered the breastfeeding room as a necessary feature that should be in any public place like, bus terminal, railway station, river port, etc. Though, it is not an Accessibility feature but not less important than any other accessibility feature. That's why during my meet-up, I try to find out this and put this in another or missing feature. I saw this first in my meet-up at Dhaka river port, later I saw it again in Mohakhali Bus terminal. I have not seen any symbol of it, but you will find in maps as Emoji/logo while writing a review. 

Thanks a lot for your nice comments @KalyanPal Dada. Please watch the short video where I cover the wheelchair-accessible washroom in the Gabtoli bus stand. 

Dhaka River Port

Mohakhali Inter-District Bus Terminal 

Level 9

Wonderful recap @MukulR vai

I really enjoyed the event for accessibility, thank you for sharing the post with us.

@Tushar_Suradkar as Mukul vai already mentioned that we are living in the Dhaka city for working purposes. I have already seen your post, that's really great job. 

@KalyanPal it's always nice to meet with other local guides and have some fun. Hope to see you also in the next visit in Kolkata. 

Level 9

I am very much glad that you could have managed time to join my meet-up @AbdullahAM Bhai. I am expecting this kind of support from you for my next meet-ups also. Thanks a lot for your nice comments. Stay safe. 

Connect Moderator

Level 9

Dear @Sophia_Cambodia what you said is true for @AbdullahAM . I am far far away 😀. Thanks a lot for your interesting comments.