DiAnaUS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: Photo uploading abuse by several local guides

@DiAnaUS, you bring up an interesting, thoughtful concern for the Local Guides Team.  

How do you know I was going to through the same thing as you described in your post?! I've seen an uptake too and have been actively reporting the "wrong place" photos directly to Google Maps via my phone and/or from my desktop.   

I know Google has their eyes and ears to what is written here on Connect. I'm sure we will see a response from them regarding your concern and everyone's awesome feedback that has been provided here in this thread.

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

For those of you who have been wondering if reporting crap photos and other contributions is useful I was starting to help a LG here on Connect who was rapidly losing points. His photo and view counts were also plummeting. I asked for a link to his profile and when I checked they were largely irrelevant junk and it's being cleaned out - I explained why I wasn't going to help him anymore and why his images were probably being removed. People may contribute a lot of junk and artificially raise themselves up but guess what else happens when you lift your head above the crowd? Remember the old arcade game Whack-A-Mole? Those with their heads up, especially if they've popped up really quickly will be noticed and checked. It is a great application for machine learning.

Regards

Paul

Level 10

Hi @DiAnaUS, even I have noticed one LG used same photo at 13 POI. Few LGs just to earn more points uploaded, not same but many similar looking photos at single POI. I have added same set of photos at two POI which are duplicates of eachother. Hoping if one of the duplicate POI gets deleted, I still have my contribution intact at the remaining POI. I have uploaded one post about this duplicate POI.

Level 8

Thanks to all for the great contributions to this discussion!

The only thing I can add is that some small businesses might be actually following advice from bad SEO companies. I have come across a YouTube video educating businesses how to create virtual offices and literally steal photos too, with tips to "fool" the system without telling the viewers that these tips are in violation with Google rules and guidelines.  It saddens me to think that some ignorant but well intended small business owners get hurt this way.

Today, an LG asked about why his photo was not published and was soon able to tell him that he violated the photo and LG program policies, he was clearly unaware of certain rules and as far as I could judge had no bad intentions. Sure, we are all supposed to educate ourselves on the terms and conditions of the program, but as @ErmesT was saying, the way the app works and people dive into the "game", it is to be expected that people skip that bit as it has to be done pro-actively.

I have said it months ago, the LG level system should not only be based on the number of one's contributions but should have some "quality tests", like exams, before people can rise up. Given the responsibilities and the power that Local Guides have, it really doesn't make any sense to me that there is so little formal education/ training integrated into the program.

Connect Moderator

@JeroenM wrote:

<snip> 

I have said it months ago, the LG level system should not only be based on the number of one's contributions but should have some "quality tests", like exams, before people can rise up. Given the responsibilities and the power that Local Guides have, it really doesn't make any sense to me that there is so little formal education/ training integrated into the program.

Hi @JeroenM the idea of training is an interesting one. There are attempts with videos released from time to time and the various local communities are able to do their own local training if they're able. I think delivery is the challenge, how do you deliver training to people who don't read the existing material and guidance that is available online. It could become part of leveling up, as an example congratulations on reaching Level 4 in points, watch this video through to confirm your new level and if they don't watch it they don't get to level up. Other ways would be to make the Maps app pop up questions on the rules and reward people with points when they get the answers right.

Regards

Paul

Level 8

Hi @PaulPavlinovich,

I think your idea to have pop-up quizzes that give people points is a very good idea and very much in tune with the gamification aspect of the program.

Please share it on the Feedback Feature request forum and I shall support you all the way.

The other idea with the video is also a good idea. Reading through manuals and help files is rather old-school and lots of people do not have the motivation to do their own desk-research these days.

Connect Moderator

Hi @JeroenM I'll move the post now. I'll also add it to the list of things I'm taking to the Summit from the community.

Regards

Paul

Connect Moderator

Actually, looking at this really long thread @JeroenM I think the idea might be lost if I moved it. Would you mind starting a new dedicated post in Feedback? (It's under Getting Started).

Regards

Paul

Level 4

@PaulPavlinovich wrote:

For those of you who have been wondering if reporting crap photos and other contributions is useful I was starting to help a LG here on Connect who was rapidly losing points. His photo and view counts were also plummeting. I asked for a link to his profile and when I checked they were largely irrelevant junk and it's being cleaned out - I explained why I wasn't going to help him anymore and why his images were probably being removed. People may contribute a lot of junk and artificially raise themselves up but guess what else happens when you lift your head above the crowd? Remember the old arcade game Whack-A-Mole? Those with their heads up, especially if they've popped up really quickly will be noticed and checked. It is a great application for machine learning.

Regards

Paul

Osobno mislim da je prijavljivanje crap fotografija i ostalih doprinosa relativno komplicirano, tesko i neucinkovito na Mapi. Izgleda da iz nekog odredenog razloga nitko ne zeli da se pogreske na Mapi strucno uz povjerenje i lagano mogu prijaviti. Otprilike 99 posto aktivnih korisnika koji doprinose na Mapi uopce nije dovoljno upoznato sa Terms and Conditions. Pored toga sto su uvjeti koji definiraju doprinose relativno komplicirani za prosjecnog korisnika, oni su i poprilicno nestabilni i promjenljivi. Sentenca "Kvaliteta ispred kvantitete" se kontinuirano provlaci u brojnim komentarima, no ona se tu pojavljuje posve deklarativno i nikakvih empirijskih rezultata ne polucuje, a takodjer nikakav pomak u tom smislu nije ni na vidiku. Cinjenica jest da korisnici mogu doprinjeni sa dosta smeca i podici korisnicki nivo toliko da se javljaju na Sastanak Lokalnih Vodica. Takodjer i kada se pregleda njihov doprinos na profilu dolazi do skidanja doprinosa. Zar ne bi bilo daleko ugodnije i prakticnije, postenije i razumnije da se nekvalitetni doprinosi uopce ne prihvacaju na Mape? Na Instagramu uopce ne postoje nikakvi kriteriji, a kvalitet uploadanih fotografija i komentara je besprijekoran. S druge strane Na Google Mapi postoji nebrojeno pravila, a rezultat su cesto lose fotografije koje prikazuju pogresno mjesto i komentari korisnika koji nikada nisu ni posjetili odredjenu lokaciju. Svi mi zelimo da fotografije budu zanimljive, strucne i kvalitetne, sa umjetnickim dahom. Zelimo da komentari budu precizni, objektivni i tocni. Nitko nece gledati ruzne i slicne fotografije, tehnicki neispravne. Nitko ne zeli citati pogresne i nestrucne komentare.  Moze li se kvaliteta poceti vise cijeniti na Google Mapi?
Connect Moderator

Hi @dubrovr thanks for caring about the quality of images on Maps. I think that the rules are known, they are certainly freely available and are linked in update emails.

Quality over quantity is desired, but not to a professional level, the vast majority of Local Guides are amateurs and most likely are very casual photographers using phones which is ok. The guidance I give to people is that people should contribute photos that they themselves would find useful. I also suggest that most places need around three photos, one of the front of the place, one of the inside and perhaps a product shot. Some places like tourist attractions, museums, large stores might warrant more photos.

I have seen quite a few people recently asking why the images they upload are not appearing so while I've seen no official announcement I'd suggest that it is possible that duplication is being detected earlier in the process.

I would be hesitant to compare Maps to Instagram (or any other social photography feed). On the social feed you choose who to follow, naturally you follow people who make photos of a content and composition that you like. On Maps you'll see them from everyone.

Regards Paul