TravellerG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Photo Tips - Tripods (Part-4) - DOs & DON'Ts - TravellerG

Hi friends, hope the previous posts were contributive...

..My first suggestion is to ensure the ‘SAFETY of Your Camera’, before planning the use of the tripod; there are many cases of full/partial damage of the Camera/Lens, due to careless usage of the tripods.

DOs

• First, walk around the location and decide your frame, before placing the tripod.
  • Important: Double confirm that your camera is fixed firmly to the tripod, ensuring the movement of the Lens.
  • If your tripod has the Quick Release Plate*, then fix your camera firmly to the QR Plate and then lock the QR Plate along with the camera, firmly to the tripod, with care.
  • Before leaving your hand from the camera/tripod, ensure that the tripod is placed firmly, on the ground. (Expect sinking of the camera in beaches, etc.)
  • Take care of unexpected blow of high velocity winds, which again had caused many damages, even in my case.
  • Camera’s ‘shoulder straps’ can cause camera shake in windy situations; hence, fold & keep it safely.
  • Try to use the lowest ISO (usually 50 to 200) values, unless higher values are specifically needed.
  • Surely, switch off auto ISO.
  • Use a remote control to trigger the shutter, if available. Many cameras can be triggered through your mobile as the remote (ref: your camera user manual).
  • Use a 2 Second’s self-timer, to avoid the camera shake while pressing the shutter button.
  • If you are an intermediate Camera User, then switch off the ‘Image Stabilisation’. (camera, lens or both)
  • To extend the tripod, pull out the ‘Lowest Section’ at the last.
  • When you pull out each section, ensure that it fully extended, unless otherwise it is specifically needed.
  • Use the spirit-level if available.
  • Center column of the tripod, if available, should be used as the last option, to get the maximum height – in such situation, ensure the stability of the tripod & safety of the camera.
  • If your Tripod has a hook (on the bottom), you can add more weight to your tripod to make it more stable; but ensure that the weight touches the ground, to avoid camera shakes due to blow of wind.

DON’Ts

• Do not carry camera on Tripod, except for the local (few meters) movements.
  • Carrying the Camera fitted on a tripod can bash on a nearby object (tree, wall or people); misjudging is a very common cause of damage, in this case.
  • Never leave the ‘Quick Release Plate’ on the camera, after the use – make it a practice to remove the Quick Release Plate, immediately after unmounting the camera from the tripod & lock it back on the tripod.
  • Do not leave camera unattended on a tripod in places where theft is possible.

Quick Release Plate* = A small plate (with the thumb screw) which is a detachable part of the tripod; this plate is fixed to the camera and the plate is locked to the tripod.

Dear @PaulPavlinovich@IrrPavlova  @Anonymous, @davidhyno, @TheEagleEye  @Vyakhyaedu @MarcoR-SDG @Mainzer, could you all spare few seconds to add value to these posts, please? I specially thank (once again) @Nick-Hobgood & other LGs for thier contributions, in the previous posts.

Note: Currently, the Title, Intro-Photo are matching & distinguishable with the posts? Am I on the right track, dear @AngieYC ???

PS:

The previous post, Part 1 - TRIPOD - Which one you need? is Here

The previous post, Part 2 - TRIPOD - How to Select ? is Here 

The previous post, Part 3 of the Tripod series is Here

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

20 comments
Level 9

Re: Photo Tips - Tripods - DOs & DON'Ts - Part 4 - TravellerG

Hello @TravellerG ! Currently I'm just strolling around Connect and found this useful post. As a beginner DSLR camera user (rarely use tripod), I found your post really helpful. Thanks for writing it thoroughly. 

If I'm allowed to give some suggestions, maybe the cover photo can be more natural and simpler (it'll ease you) so reader can easily catch the message, maybe a photo of a camera with a tripod on a set and you write your title there. 

Just my 2 cents! 🙂

Level 9

helpful information, thank you for sharing your tips with us @TravellerG 

Level 10

Hi @TravellerG 

Helpful information.
I lose one of my 30 mm camera lens because my tripod was not firmly installed I use to carry my camera on Tripod also. from your advices, I will stop that immediately
Thank you once more

Nkwetche from #Douala #LetsGuide #Wakawaka #Cameroun
https://www.instagram.com/nkwetche/?hl=fr
Level 10

Oh... Sad to hear that dear @nkwetche ...!

Let it be a LESSON TO ALL THOSE WHO ARE GOING TO USE TRIPODS..!

==========  

IMPORTANT:

==========

If at all you want to carry the Tripod with the Camera (even for a short distance), then LOOSE the Tripod HEAD (so that the camera is free), CARRY THE CAMERA with your right hand with the Tripod pointing towards your front (with left Hand), so that we can see.!

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 10

Very responsive and responsible friend - Thank you, my dear @AbdullahAM. You are welcome, we are sharing our experience here.

Level 10

All suggestions & contributions are welcome always, dear LG @MutiahA.!

Accepting your suggestion, I thank you very much for taking time to write to me, your suggestion. Once I am back to my studio, I will surely change the STYLE..., (I had a re-look at this post - I think, I understood your point well) .

I am really happy to note that you enjoyed my post - good; I have written technical notes on many topics, in simple & easy to understand style, wherever possible (I think - you are welcome to comment); If time permits, kindly have look - they are Here & let me know,

🙏

Level 10

Dear @MutiahA, I have modified the Cover Photo; Hope, this is what you wanted? Kindly comment, if you expect anything more, please.

Thanks

Level 8

@TravellerG @AbdullahAM @@@Thanks for your comment, the information is useful, today the phone can be used to make a great photo, you should look at the plate of food or simply make a good image of a beautiful panorama. Thank

Google Moderator

Hello @TravellerG,

I think this is great, it will makes it easier for the Local Guides to follow you tripod series now. Thank you for sharing, I learned a lot from your posts about photography. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!