TravellerG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Photo Tips - Tripod (Part-2) - How to Select ? - TravellerG

..Whether you need a Tripod?..

If you ask me, this is a MUST for a photographer or even a photography enthusiast – whether you use a DSLR, Mirrirless or Point & Shoot OR even a Mobile Camera (properly).

But, if you have gone through the previous post (Here) and analyzed the Questions, Answers & Hints (given in the post) properly, then this post will give full clarity.

[Note: A separate post on 'How to use a Tripod will be discussed in separate post]

..How to select a tripod..

(Note: Here the 'Tripod Stand' is exclusively considered for the general DSLR/Mirror-Less and P&S* camera with its lens [up to 5 KG] & not for the heavy duty cameras [Ex: Movie camera] or for use with accessories).

Once you are familiar with the following data, you should be able to arrive upon your Tripod Stand faster.

• Load capacity: Capacity of a tripod to hold the Camera with its different types of lenses

Tip: Up to 5 KG.

• Stability: The ability to hold the camera, even in tough conditions, like high velocity wind.

Tip: Look for a stand which claims good stabilty.

• Quick release Plate: Is preferred as this helps a lot in practical use, to disconnect the camera from the stand, very quickly.

Tip: very important to have this facility.

• Collapsed & Extended size:
    • Collapsed size: The size after collapsing the stand to its maximum small length, which is important in the portability of the tripod.
    • Extended size: The maximum height available to keep the camera high.

Tip: Collapsed size depends on personal liking; Try to get greater extended height = Not less than 50 Inches and not more than 70 Inches.

• Size & weight:
    • Size: The overall physical size of the tripod (both in collapsed or extended mode), which is important in many ways. Ie. Portability, mounting place, physical visibility, etc.
    • Weight: Higher the weight of a tripod, the better the stability (in general), but more difficult to carry.

Tip: Size as compact as possible & weight as comfortable for you to carry.

• Head type: Let us only consider the simple tripods, which has the facility to Pan, Tilt & Rotate. (Say: Pan/Turn [smoothly] clockwise or anticlockwise or tilt the camera up/down or rotate it left to right).

Tip: The mid-range models will have these facilities.

• Feet & Leg locks: There are many types of collapsible legs.

Tips: Would recommend an established brand a model with good reviews.

• Used material: This has many aspects and carbon fiber reinforced material will be the best and reinforced aluminum will be a compromise.

Tip: If affordable, Carbon reinforced will be better; but aluminum also gives good stand, but may be slightly  heavier.

• Hook, Spirit level, Rotation [degree] monitor & other minor aspects: All these are added value to a good stand; but these may add cost. Some of these facilities will be available in many medium range tripods and for general use, such types are fine.
  • A Tripod with a 'Carry Case' (with shoulder Strap) will be very much more useful.

OTHER FACTORS to consider:

• The cost is one of the major factors: The price of an item is country specific; hence kindly make the necessary corrections, accordingly.
  • Stability to Weight to Cost is the main catch.
  • In India, according to me, the tripods below $20 (INR 1,500/=) are not recommended at all.
  • Starting from $40 to $70 will be affordable and should be OK for middle end uses.
  • I am not recommending any brand/model; but to compare the above facilities, you may refer ‘Vanguard Espod CX 203AGH’, which has most of all the requirements met, but the load capacity is claimed as 3.5 KG only, but it should be OK for normal uses (with modern cameras + Lens).

Note: P&S* = Point shoot Cameras

Dear @PoliMC, @sonnyNg, @Nick-ATH, @BishowvijayaP, @Farshid_Agham_Ali, @Irfansalamat @bassey,

@Linnéa, @AbdullahAM, @PaDeSSo, - Have these two posts helped you? or have you any more questions?

Please comment it down.

Thanks

PS:

Tripod - Post 1 - "Which Tripod Do you need?" - Here

Tripod - Post 3 - "How A Tripod Can Help you?" - Here

15 comments
Google Moderator

Re: Photo Tips - The Best Tripod for you - TravellerG

Hello @TravellerG,

Thank you for sharing, I am sure this information will be useful for other Local Guides. 

I will merge this post with your previous post regarding the similar topic, this way it will be easier for the other Local Guides to follow the topic. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Hi Dear @AngieYC - You know why I published it as 2 POSTS?

For  readers (if at all there) 'SINGLE LENGTHY' will be boring & tend to discard it half the way [as writer & reviewer, this my experience]

Thanks for your inspiring words; I know few Moderators and few LGs  (& few other my students) do follow my posts - but, honestly not inspiring for me.

Anyway...

Google Moderator

Hello @TravellerG,

Thanks for the explanation, in this case then I will un-merge your post but it's best to give a slight different title or main picture. So, it wont look like duplicates. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 7

Betreff: Photo Tips - The Best Tripod for you - TravellerG

Ich jabe da nicht alles verstanden aber wenn Du Fotografieren kannst und nicht spezielle Bedürftnisse hast benötigst Du kein Stativ. Mein Reisestativ ist mit Kopf ohne Kamera 12 KG schwer. Und ich benutze auf Reisen oft ein 3 Meter Hochstativ so dass ich auf eine Gesamthöhe bis über 5 Meter komme. Die Stativwahl ist individuell und die Preisklasse in der Du dich bewegst wirst Du nicht viele gute Bilder machen sondern das Stativ zur Show herumtragen.

Level 10

Thanks a lot for a very valuable guidance, dear @AngieYC. I shall do it accordingly. Since there are many more posts, for the same/similar topics, it will help people to identify it faster - once again thanks for the suggestion.

Level 10

My dear friend, @Mainzer.

Thanks for your response and valuable content.

============

In this forum, all my posts are focused for general LGs (beginners/entry-level). There are many information available at many places; but, unfortunately, most of them are not digestible for Laymen. As a consultant/Trainer, when I address even Pros,  I start off from the basic in a quick manner, so that all will uniformly understand what we explain - Hope you understood.

Regards

Level 7

Nun ja wir bSie liegen aber in der Preisklasse über 500 $ ohne die verschiedenen Köpfe. Zum Beispiel den Manfrotto 058. Wir bekommen solche Stative 30 Jahre alt für 100 $. Die sind unverwüstlich. Einsatz bei Veranstaltungen also großen Menschenmengen Landschafts Aufnahmen, Architektur ( Du hast beim Fotografieren mit Weitwinkel oder Fischeye kaum fallende Linien). Nachtaufnahmen natürlich auch.

Der Clou ist, das werden dass die Stative von Leuten, die die Google Meetups in Bochum besuchen kostenlos ausgeliehen können. Es sind mehrere vorhanden unter anderem in Holland, England und Rumänien. Demnächst in Paris und in Lisabon.L

Wichtig ist Anfängern beizubringen wie sie ein Stativ vermeiden. Das ist in gut 80% der Fälle besser als ein Stativ zu nutzen.

Geht es Dir um Anfänger, dann zeige wie man ohne Stativ fotografiert. Ich würde mir zum Beispiel heute kein Neues Stativ von Manfrotto mehr kaufen, da die Qualität der heute produzierten Stative von minderer Qualität ist. Aussagen wie Carbon ist besser als Alluminium sind schlichtweg fachlich falsch. Ein Stativ aus Carbon hat nur dann einen Vorteil wenn es bei Bergtouren viele Stunden getragen werden muss und es um reine Gewichtsreduzierung geht. Sonst sehe ich keinen Vorteil und der normal Tourist wird solche Bergtouren nicht machen. Sage es grob so. Je schwerer ein Stativ um so besser ist die Qualität. Und ein Thema ist wirklich wie ich ein Stativ vermeide. Gerade für die Anfängergruppe. prinzipiell benötigst Du 2 Stative auf einer Reise Gewicht ohne Kamera über 2,5 kg. Und ein leichtes Tripod Stativ mit Monopod Funktion für DLSR für Selfies zum Video machen. Geht auch zu Hause vor einem Greenscreen. Du wirst es nicht Hinbekommen auf Google Maps dass da Qualität hochgeladen wird. Dann müsstest Du 95% des Bildmaterials einstampfen. Die Moderatoren bedienen sich hier ja auch mit Bildern der großen Fotoagenturen. In Bochum und anderen Städten ist jedenfalls kostenfrei eine gute Ausrüstung zu bekommen. Letzt hat sich sogar eine TV Produktion Zeitraffer Equipment für 4 Tage bei Daniela ausgeliehen. Dort der Slider btw die Steuerung defekt und kein Ersatz war vorhanden.
Das sind Selbstbau Projekte, die aber hier in der Gegend recht bekannt sind. Dafür benötigt man auch beim Fotografieren ein Stativ. Eine einfache Lösung hatten wir ja beim Januar Local Guide Treffen im Livestream vorgestellt. Den ganzen Livestream haben wir in 360 produziert.

Level 10

Thanks for your contributions, @Mainzer 

Level 7

Ich mag es nicht diese Bilderwut hier in Localguides und ich schaue mir auch keine an und würde bis auf Ausnahmen keine hier hochladen.

Ich gebe Dir eine Begründung:

1. Copyright viele der Bilder, die ich hier sehe verletzen Copyright. Dieses Forum ist kommerziell, da es den Zielen und nur diesen von Google dient. Es spielt keinerlei Rolle ob hier Werbung nicht gestattet ist. Viele Moderatoren posten Bilder bei Ihren Artikeln aus einer kommerziellen Bilder-Bibliothek. Und ich habe nachgefragt. Ja es ist keine private Nutzung hier und es sind Lizenzgebühren von knapp 200 $ pro Jahr und Bild zu entrichten. Das gilt zumindest für Europa. Ich poste Bildmaterial unter Creative Commons und Maps unterbindet strategisch mit mir in Kontakt zu treten und ich sehe es als Copyrightverletzung an. Deswegen bekommt Google was es bezahlt, das minderwertige Material, das ich eh löschen würde.

2. Es ist störend wenn bei jedem 3. Post ein Moderator um Nachbesserung bittet. Die Qualität hier leidet sehr unter dieser dauernden Bevormundung. Ein bezahlter Moderator sollte bei groben Verletzungen eingreifen und das in den privaten Nachrichten. Bekomme ich dauernd öffentliche Belehrungen in Form von Links, dann lese ich die gar nicht mehr.

3. Es ist keine Schule hier. Viele Europäer sind hier ausgestiegen wegen der Regeln und Bevormundung.

4. Ich würde das hier auch nicht öffentlich posten sondern privat aber die Google Moderatoren haben den Empfang von privaten Nachrichten in der Regel unterbunden.