kozjegyzo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Online Businesses - Should they be on Google Maps?

Hi Guys,

I've been thinking about this since I started doing Local Guides, and I don't have a definite answer for it...

Should online businesses be on Google Maps?

What do you think?

There are pros and cons to this question....
My issue here is that Maps IMO is a connection between the online and the offline physical wold. So I believe if a business is not present in the physical world than it shouldn't be on it. However Maps is a great place to advertise a business. So from a business point of view the option should be there.

My conclusion is, that if the business is an online store for example, and it has a support office or a pick up point where you can actually interact with the business in person, then it's a legitimate listing on Google Maps. If the business is only online and it's only registered to a certain address, then it has no place on Google Maps, because it's irrelevant content, that's confusing users.

I'd really like to hear your opinions on this subject!

14 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Online Businesses - Should they be on Google Maps?

Dear kozjegyzo, hope all's well.

Add a missing place to the map: "You can add public places and businesses..." https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6320846

Guidelines for representing your business on Google: "...online-only businesses aren't eligible...a business must make in-person contact with customers during its stated hours..." https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177

Kind regards from Osaka78

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

Level 7

Your approach is quite sensible and would make a good guideline.

Level 10

If there is a real business with a physical address, behind the online activity (i.e. Amazon has got a real office) the answer is yes.

Level 8

@LucioV wrote:

If there is a real business with a physical address, behind the online activity (i.e. Amazon has got a real office) the answer is yes.

This is a great point you make, and it brings up more questions.

Amazon has an address yes and people can visit that office building, I think that is legitimate, people can actually go there and meet people from Amazon ect.

I'm talking about online businesses that have a registered address, but there is nothing there, no support reception, no point of pickup for the goods. There are many like this on Google Maps. I'm arguing, that it shouldn't turn into Yellow Pages. If the business is online and only does business online, it shouldn't be here just because it is registered to an address IMHO.

Level 1

I think that's the way to go. I want to be able to use unfiltered/searched Google maps to view nearby places TO VISIT. If I can't visit it what good is it on maps. 

Of course, if someone is looking for a particular business it should then show up regardless of whether you can visit, and perhaps an indicator to this effect could be shown?

Level 6

I agree with you @kozjegyzo. I have come accross many residential addresses listed on Google as an online business only. You can not exactly go knocking on someone's front door if they don't service the public face-to-face.

Same goes for home-based businesses... like virtual assistants etc

I have been thinking about a possible resolution for this for a while now.....

Level 8

@ErinC wrote:

I agree with you @kozjegyzo. I have come accross many residential addresses listed on Google as an online business only. You can not exactly go knocking on someone's front door if they don't service the public face-to-face.

Same goes for home-based businesses... like virtual assistants etc

I have been thinking about a possible resolution for this for a while now.....

I think a solution could be some kind of identifier in the listing that marks what exactly that business is.
There are a bunch of businesses that are listed, but they don't have costumer traffic. This affects not just online businesses, but all businesses, that have offices, that are just doing back office work. 

Level 10

I think that as long as it has a sign on the property with a business name, then it's valid. So, if it's a business run out of a condo where they don't allow signage, then no.

Level 10
Solution

Dear kozjegyzo, hope all's well.

Add a missing place to the map: "You can add public places and businesses..." https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6320846

Guidelines for representing your business on Google: "...online-only businesses aren't eligible...a business must make in-person contact with customers during its stated hours..." https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177

Kind regards from Osaka78