Austin's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Official websites being replaced by Goo.gl links?

I've noticed recently a few local businesses having their official websites changed to goo.gl links that redirect to their official page. 

Because someone doesn't know who owns a Goo.gl nor where it leads before clicking on it, I've been going around and removing the goo.gl links as it's either:

1. a malicious user who is getting clickthrough data on competition

2. a workaround to not have to pay Google Analytics on clickthrough data

Either way, it feels sketchy and really doesn't make the listing look any cleaner or safer. Has anyone else seen similar trends in their area?

3 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Official websites being replaced by Goo.gl links?

goo.gl links are shortened versions of the final url - the service is provided by Google you can read more about it here https://goo.gl/

I suspect you'll find that Maps is actually automatically shortening the urls to make them easier to use. Removing them serves no benifit. Since the URL shortener service is Google itself they don't stand to benefit.

Regards Paul

Level 7

Hey Paul, thanks for your response.

I recognize that goo.gl is a Google service, and Google uses it extensively (even for links to Google Maps).

However, there is a huge matter of trust when it comes to redirect services; that, and seeing "goo.gl" everywhere gives you 0% information about where the link is taking you, where if you use the actual link, you get to at least see the domain you're going to. 

Which of these would you prefer to see?

Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 8.40.07 AM.png

or

Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 8.39.47 AM.png

I personally want to know if a link is taking me to opentable, facebook, their own domain, or SomeSketchySite.com. When Google generates a link, I inherently trust that the link is going to go to where they said it was. I don't trust url shorteners that are user generated though, and as I said before, it's some sort of violation of information if an unaffiliated party is getting all the clickthrough data on the Google Maps (go create a goo.gl link, then view the analytics on the dashboard:

Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 8.45.48 AM.png

If I were a competing business, I would pay good money for this information, and I could get it for free by swapping out a my competition's official website for my own goo.gl link.

Level 10

This is a good catch @Austin!

I agree with you, but I don't think this is a Google automated action; maybe some LG is using this trick to make more edit points....