Shahak_BK's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

No suitable category exists

Hi,

I am trying to add the locations of Canal Locks in a few of France's canals since these details are important for boats & travelers. Before adding I've searched some of the existing locks on the maps to choose the right category. Many were categorized as Marina, Tourist Attraction or others which do not fit. I've taken a look at Kennet & Avon Canal Seend Lock Flight in UK which is categorized as Water Navigation and it seemed suitable (picture below). Upon trying to use this category myself, I get the message "Enter a valid category" and no other category seem to match the description.

I would appreciate any thoughts of this matter.

P.S I've traveled these canals myself and I genuinely think that this information could have benefited me.

Kennet & Avon Canal Seend Lock Flight:

lock.jpg

3 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: No suitable category exists

Generally speaking if an appropriate category does not exist in your area then you are trying to add data that Google doesn't want to be on Maps. If you think that you have a good reason for adding something (this one sounds reasonable to me) then as @JanVanHaver mentioned raise it on Idea Exchange but remember to search first and vote on an existing idea if there is one.

Regards Paul

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

Hello @Shahak_BK a lot of categories that were available in the past are no longer available now. That is why you can find POIs where those old ones are still in use, but you can no longer use them for new POIs. In the current list, I also do not find anything that would suit your needs. 

Perhaps you can vote for a related post I have submitted in Idea Exchange

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/All-Ideas/Reconsider-selection-criteria-for-new-places/idi-p/1...

If you want I can include a link to your post in that idea as well.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 4

Hey @JanVanHaver,

sorry for the late response.

I do agree with the subject you brought up, so thanks for bringing it up and you have my vote.

If you would like to mention this post in relation to the subject, you are welcome to do so.

Thanks for the answer!

Connect Moderator
Solution

Generally speaking if an appropriate category does not exist in your area then you are trying to add data that Google doesn't want to be on Maps. If you think that you have a good reason for adding something (this one sounds reasonable to me) then as @JanVanHaver mentioned raise it on Idea Exchange but remember to search first and vote on an existing idea if there is one.

Regards Paul