albertsonj's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Re: New Google Maps Traffic tab and danfo routes in Lagos, Nigeria

In my opinion, this is a great development. Lagos being populated with over 20 million persons, faces a lot of navigation issues. So, big thumbs up to Jeff, @laurenmae@andregoog and the rest of the team.

These additions will be substantially beneficial especially to visitors and foreigners who most times have a hard time moving around.

I will love to ask: In the development process, were some factors considered? Like the wrong culture of One-way traffic; will the traffic routes and bus fares also accommodate vehicles that ply One-way?

Will the expected danfo fare levels be reviewed at real time? Because, these drivers and conductors increase their fares depending on bus-stop busyness.

What descriptors of a bus-stop busyness will be considered? Approximate number of persons waiting for the buses? The force of rush into the buses? Advice for persons with disabilities to avoid such busy bus-stops?

For Weather info, will it include bus-stops with a roof and those without?

For the Street view, the necessity can not be overstated.

Finally, in the development process, how well were persons with disabilities considered?

Thank you.

Level 6

This is an amazing improvement to the Google map for Commuters in Lagos.

@albertsonj and all the Google map teams, that you very much.

@albertsonj can we walk towards achieving same in Port Harcourt and Yenagoa?

Thank you

ThankGod Abbey
Pathcademy Enterprise
t.abbey@pathcademy.com
Googler

Thank you Isaac! We couldn't have done this without the guidance and support from you and the local guides. Much gratitude. 

Googler

Thank you @AustinCO for this feedback and the detail of the options that it should show. We'll look into how we can make this a bit more flexible to give more people options that work best for them. 

Googler

Thank you @iamdarola for the feedback. Which areas should be covered that aren't currently covered with this feature? 

Connect Moderator

This is a great feature which I believe will be quite useful for Lagos commutters. Thank you for making this happen @albertsonj @laurenmae  @andregoog 

-Does this feature integrate Google Transit? And do you think getting more Transport Service provides to become Transit Partners will help provide quality data to improve the feature? 

- I am thinking that the app version may not enable many Lagosians have access to the features. Is this something you could look into considering the group of people that patronize Danfo, BRT, LAGBUS and Lagos Bus Services Limited LSBL

- Are you looking to add LAGBUS and LBSL vehicles to the features too? As LBSL is looking to inject 800 buses into the mass transit system.

- Any plans to make transport terminals visible within the map features. And how do you identify approved bus stops on the routes and Dafo fares for each stop.

Googler

Thank you @AustinCO for your detailed feedback. It helps to know the exact route in which there could be more variety of options. We'll dig into this further. 

Level 7

What a great way to improve transport and commuter experience in Lagos! Any plans for Nairobi?

I am an Kenyan Local Guide based in Nairobi passionate about sharing my experiences with other people.
Level 6

This is great and a welcomed development. Lagosians now have a better tool at their disposal. Thanks @albertsonj for the update and also the Google team. We look forward to more features 

Level 6

Excellent innovation! For me this will afford Lagosians and as well people visiting for the first time ease their movement around the city. However, i hope there will be avenue for local guides to edit some of the information. For instance, danfo charges are not regulated hence variations in their charges. Most times they charges based on the prevailing situations e.g traffic conditions, weather condition etc. Again, it would also be good to add the new emerging trend in moving around in Lagos now; which is Bike transportation - ORide and Opay. I took ORide yesterday because of traffic and necessity to meetup for a meeting engagement. Aside that it is very affordable, it helps you get to your destination in record time.

Well done team!