albertsonj's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googler

New Google Maps Traffic tab and danfo routes in Lagos, Nigeria

Caption: An image showing the newly launched Traffic tab for Nigeria with traffic level information, weather, bus stop busyness and danfo fare levels.Caption: An image showing the newly launched Traffic tab for Nigeria with traffic level information, weather, bus stop busyness and danfo fare levels.

I’m Jeff on the Google Maps product team. Together with user experience (@laurenmae) and regional (@andregoog) teams we’ve been working on bringing new capabilities for Lagosians to life for the past year. We want to make sure Google Maps is helpful when planning your travel around Lagos, including the information we’ve added, such as danfo and BRT directions, current traffic conditions, weather, bus stop busyness, and expected danfo fare levels.

Today we’re excited to launch a new directions experience in Lagos for all Android users, with suggested routes that cover all the ways you might walk, take a keke or okada, or use danfo and BRT to reach your destination. You’ll now also see an estimated fare range, expected travel time, and Street View imagery of the stops on your route. If you click on the images, you’ll be able to pan around Street View and orient yourself. When you're in an unfamiliar place, this makes it easy to know where to come down from the danfo without bothering the driver or conductor.

With this launch, we want to give you an opportunity to ask us anything about the new Google Maps Traffic tab and danfo routes in Lagos, Nigeria in the comments below. Feel free to ask us anything about the new features and our development process. We’ll do our best to answer all questions. You can post your questions in the comments section below until December 16, and we’ll respond by December 20. 

We look forward to reading your comments.

43 comments
Level 3

Re: New Google Maps Traffic tab and danfo routes in Lagos, Nigeria

This is a wonderful innovation by Google. Lagos is the most populated city in Nigeria. It'll help a lot. 

Level 10

This is amazing @albertsonj!! I am so excited to see this feature live on the Maps. No doubt, more people will now see the need and usefulness of the Maps even when not behind the wheels. Thanks for your efforts in developing the ease of commute around Lagos for commuters @andregoog. Congratulations on this feat and cheers to all Lagosians. Great efforts @laurenmae. Super excited about this!

Isaac
Level 10

Great efforts and exciting news to hear @albertsonj. For the feedback, here is what I have to say. 

How do you intend to provide an informed estimated fare for Danfo buses?

There is a regular fare for many routes across Lagos from bus stops to bus stops, but sometimes these prices are not consistent. How do you intend to handle price surge for Danfos?

The Danfo drivers operate solo and set their prices themselves, we the passengers decide which to enter base on the cheapest fare that is available. If I may ask, the estimated prices you talked about, is it real-time? P

for early morning trips are different from night trips. For example, I spend 200 naira on a morning trip from Ojota to Obanikoro, but in the evening, I pay 100 from Obanikoro to Ketu, with an increased destination this time around. What steps are you putting in place to guide the user so as to make an informed decision?

Level 5

To achieve this, did your team work with Lara.ng? Our local transport info startup. 

How long did it take to develop this feature? And again, was it users behavior gathered through analytics that informed the choice to develop this feature? 

I want to understand what led to the feature idea and it's implementation. If it has always been part of the Map's roadmap or it was users driven. 

Thank you.

By the way, I think Google map has positioned itself into a utility app, where lots can be done to easy peoples lives commuting wise. Big ups to the product team @albertsonj

Level 7

This is indeed a huge leap for Lagosians. It will really help transport navigation and locating new places around town. Just fascinating!!! 

Level 7

This would help a lot in Lagos. More areas should be covered. How can Local Guides in Lagos help with this?

Also a how to use post would be appreciated as I checked my maps now and it's either not updated or I haven't figured how to use it the right way. Thanks

Google Moderator

Hello @iamdarola, thank you for reaching out to us. 

This feature is supported only in the most recent Android version of Google Maps (version 10.28). After installing this version, some users may not see the new features until a few hours later, after the app has automatically refreshed certain settings. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 7

This is extremely exciting..... So so happy that Google finally recognised the transport brouhaha in Lagos.

Kudos to your team.

Please @albertsonj kindly make sure local guides can add to this transport route information or edit fares and situations.

Thanks

Level 7

Thanks @Ivi_Ge , it's the same version I have. I'd wait for the changes to reflect.