StephenAbraham's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Nasi Lemak - a national dish of Malaysia

20190824_122334.jpg

Most countries have many favorite food, but usually there are a few that stand out possibly as the national dishes. In Malaysia where I live, one of our national dishes is Nasi Lemak (which is coconut rice served with condiments). There are many ways to make Nasi Lemak and it's eaten for breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner and supper. We can almost get it anywhere in town, it's that popular. And a visitor to Malaysia cannot say they have visited Malaysia without trying this.

[Photo above] In a simple form, Nasi Lemak is white rice cooked in thick coconut milk and pandan leaves, making the rice incredibly fragrant. Nasi Lemak is served with many different condiments. The main one is a chilly chutney known as Sambal Balacan, slowly stir fried with fermented shrimp paste. Other condiments include hard boiled eggs or fried eggs, cucumber slices, deep fried peanuts and anchovies, and sometimes some meat such as a piece of fried chicken.

nasilemak.jpg

Where to eat great Nasi Lemak in Kuala Lumpur? Plenty of great places. This list below has 12 of the most delicious and popular spots in town for Nasi Lemak.

Steve's 12 best places to get authentic Nasi Lemak in town.

https://goo.gl/maps/VXsJZLso2ykhNyEQ7 

[Photo above] Looking back in time, one of the most fun things we did as Local Guides in Malaysia was a food crawl around the traditional Kampung Baru area, trying out 3 of the most famous Nasi Lemak there. It was an amazing experience. We had a really amazing time. Read our recap here.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Let-s-Meet-Up/Recap-Malaysia-Local-Guides-Kampung-Baru-Walk-in... 

[Photo above] And in our Malaysia Local Guides first Virtual food crawl together on 21 March 2020, I had prepared Nasi Lemak, as 9 of us Malaysia Local Guides from different parts of the world, prepared their favorite food, and we sat down and had dinner together, amidst a Movement Control Order in Malaysia due to Covie-19. Read about our recap below.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Recap-Malaysia-Local-Guides-Virtual-Foodcra... 

Nasi Lemak is definitely one of our favorite dishes and food in town. Be sure to try it when one visits Malaysia.

*All photos self taken

Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
7 comments
Level 8

Re: Nasi Lemak - a national dish of Malaysia

I am a great fan of Nasi Lemak. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of it.

This evening also I had my dinner with Nasi Lemak. 

This screenshot I have taken yesterday night during our virtual meet up. I had a great experience. 

Screenshot_20200321-200929_Hangouts.jpg

Level 9

Nasi lemak. Never try it before. But from the photograph, I think it's quite similar with Indonesian nasi uduk. Similar dish different name. Hahaa..

Thanks for sharing this, @StephenAbraham . So mouth watery

Level 10

@iorikun301 Yes, I believe it's the same. Share some photos of Nasi Uduk.

Google Moderator

Thanks for sharing @StephenAbraham !

I hope that I will have the chance to try this national dish firsthand if I happen to visit Malaysia. In the meantime, I could search for a recipe and try to cook it at home. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

@StephenAbraham Wow, I love Nasi Lemak. I had it when I was in Pinang long time ago. I would love to have it again one day. Thank you for sharing this post with us.

Level 8

Nasi lemak is a Malay fragrant rice dish cooked in coconut milk and pandan leaf. It is commonly found in Malaysia, where it is considered the national dish of Malaysia. I captured this photo during my Langkawi tour.Nasi lemak is a Malay fragrant rice dish cooked in coconut milk and pandan leaf. It is commonly found in Malaysia, where it is considered the national dish of Malaysia. I captured this photo during my Langkawi tour.

@StephenAbraham Nasi Lemak is the most eaten dish in Malaysia for me. 

Proud to be a Local Guide.
Level 7

@StephenAbraham those anchovies .... and know I am hungry 😄