Zainabzy_'s post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

My Debut Local Guide Event Story

It was overwhelming to receive an invitation email to the Connect Live Abuja 2018 Local Guides event. I did not know what to expect as I had never attended a Local Guides event, but I had my expectations.  Locating the Barcelona Hotel, which was the event venue, was an easy task - thanks to my Google Maps!

It's Connect Live Abuja 2018!It's Connect Live Abuja 2018!

(L - R) Emeka Jones,  Traci Cappiello (@TraciC) - Community Program Manager and Zainab  having an interesting discussion during the event(L - R) Emeka Jones, Traci Cappiello (@TraciC) - Community Program Manager and Zainab having an interesting discussion during the eventOn arrival, I was courteously led to the main event hall. I verified my name from the attendees' list and received my customised name-tag and a Local Guides T-Shirt. I felt good, I had barely spent thirty seconds and I had already received gifts. It will a fun night, I said to myself. 

The event started with a mini cocktail where I helped myself to a delicious plate of snacks and a chilled drink. I met new people and we engaged in interesting conversations. Shortly after, the main event started with presentations on the roles of local guides. Other sessions included a brief interview with some local guides as well as informative question and answer sessions that enlightened the participants. Afterwards, a fun photo session followed. 

Cross-section of some Local Guides at the eventCross-section of some Local Guides at the event

Next, we changed switched location to an attractively designed space where we had what I tag the 'eat and drink' interactive fun session.  Being a foodie, this was easily my most fun part of the event for obvious reasons - food, drinks, music and exciting people!

Interactive 'eat and drink' sessionInteractive 'eat and drink' sessionThere, I tried the Mirror and GIF Booths, participated in the mobile photography workshop and earned myself a set of official Local Guides collector's pin. 

Outcome of my GIF Booth photo session!Outcome of my GIF Booth photo session!

I learnt additional ways to contribute as a Local Guide using features such as the Local Guides Connect (https://www.localguidesconnect.com) and Google Street View (Application available on IOS and Android). 

To the Google Team, thank you for this innovative platform. I had a highly motivating and fun-filled night. I cannot wait to organise my first Local Guides Meet-Up! 

Abuja Local GuidesAbuja Local Guides

Cheers,
Zainab!
Abuja, Nigeria
27 comments
Level 7

Re: My Debut Local Guide Event Story

I share in your exitement as i was there too!it was truelly awesome.

Level 6

I'm glad you feel the same! 

Cheers,
Zainab!
Connect Moderator

Great to see your excitement, thanks for sharing your story @Zainabzy_

Level 10

Hi Zainab @Zainabzy_ nice to meet you on Local Guides Connect! 🙂 Was really a great experience! Congratulations for being selected!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting story. Thanks for sharing!
Level 10

Thank God I was there!!! Otherwise, I wonder what your highly captivating post would have done to me. Your pictures and words are engaging enough to allow those who couldn't attend have an idea of what a great miss of an event that was.

Level 5

So proud of you @Zainabzy_

Level 9

Nice event story @Zainabzy_ first time you are attended I think u super excited...Nice pictures thank you for sharing with us...

Level 7

Nicely written. I was there and had fun too as well. You captured the event well.