DeniGu's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

Meet а Meet-up Champion: TravellerG

Caption: A photo of TravellerG working on a laptop and an illustration with the word ‘TravellerG’ inside a green frame with a camera, speech bubbles, a pin, a map, and a person.Caption: A photo of TravellerG working on a laptop and an illustration with the word ‘TravellerG’ inside a green frame with a camera, speech bubbles, a pin, a map, and a person.

Local Guide TravellerG (@TravellerG) is a true Community Builder. He lives in Bangalore, India, but gladly travels to other places to meet fellow Local Guides and often brings people together virtually. Whether his meet-ups focus on photography, accessibility, or celebrations, they always include an element of knowledge sharing about Google Maps, Connect, and personal skills. 

We recently caught up with TravellerG to learn more about his experience with meet-ups and get his tips on how to host successful community-led events.

What do you love about meet-ups?

I love everything — from the planning to the recap! Whether it is a physical or virtual meet-up, I enjoy the moments I share with fellow Local Guides. Those moments are precious to me. Meet-ups have given me several excellent friends, too.

What was your first experience with meet-ups? 

It was an extremely great feeling. When I joined Local Guides Connect in 2017, I was guided by then-Connect Moderator @StephenAbraham and later by @AmbrishVarshney. Ambrish introduced me to a senior Local Guide, @JohnPeter from Chennai. In 2018, over a telephone conversation, he agreed to come to Yercaud (where I was staying at the time). He came and stayed with us for two days; that was my maiden meet-up. The two of us explored Yercaud and contributed many 360 images and reviews.

Do you have a favorite meet-up you’ve (co-)hosted? What about a favorite meet-up you attended?

I have many, but here I will mention just three.

• The exclusive virtual meet-up about Connect Moderator @AdamGT's leaderboards. This was a well-practiced session, and the recap explains how the host and co-hosts can collaborate to make a meet-up successful. Over 50 Local Guides attended this meet-up.
  • This virtual meet-up for Connect’s 7th birthday, which I hosted along with @Anil6969.
  • This virtual meet-up, hosted by Connect Moderator @indahnuria.

Caption: A collage of screenshots showing the participants in the virtual “Bangalore 7th Local Guides Connect Birthday” meet-up, with host @TravellerG, co-host @Anil6969, and guest speakers @AdamGT, @SholaIB, and @NareshDarji. (Courtesy of Local Guide @TravellerG)Caption: A collage of screenshots showing the participants in the virtual “Bangalore 7th Local Guides Connect Birthday” meet-up, with host @TravellerG, co-host @Anil6969, and guest speakers @AdamGT, @SholaIB, and @NareshDarji. (Courtesy of Local Guide @TravellerG)

What are your tips for organizing a virtual meet-up? 

1. According to my experience, the most important thing is to select a meet-up time that will be convenient for most attendees. When hosting from India, I have found that the best time is 4:30 pm IST on a Sunday, with a 1-hour duration. 
  2. It is always better to have at least one co-host.
  3. Conduct rehearsals to ensure that the audio, video, presentation/screen sharing work properly. 
  4. Try to use a silent place to host/attend meet-ups; when unavoidable, use a good headset.
  5. Your meet-ups will be more popular if you provide time for the participants to speak.

Find more tips based on experience here.

What about organizing an in-person meet-up?

1. Location is the most important. It has to be easy to reach and if there is an entrance fee, it should be affordable.
  2. Select a topic that follows the Local Guides and Connect policies and that will be interesting to your particular audience.
  3. Publish the meet-up announcement post well in advance and remember to add the Maps location of the meeting point.
  4. Self-introductions by Local Guides are important to keep morale high, so plan a time slot for those.
  5. Carry water with you.

Find more tips based on experience here.

What one piece of advice would you give to someone who’s about to host their first meet-up?

My suggestion would be to consult a Local Guide who has conducted one or more meet-ups or ask for support on Connect. This will ensure the success of your meet-up.

Caption: A photo of TravellerG with fellow Local Guides in Tower Park in Chennai during an accessibility meet-up. (Courtesy of Local Guide @TravellerG)Caption: A photo of TravellerG with fellow Local Guides in Tower Park in Chennai during an accessibility meet-up. (Courtesy of Local Guide @TravellerG)

Is there anything else you’d like to tell us about yourself?

I am a retired professional who spends five to eight hours a day on Google Maps, Connect, and related social media, mainly to help fellow Local Guides. 

Have you attended any of TravellerG’s meet-ups? Do you have a question for him? Tell us in the comments below.

Want to see who else is a Meet-up Champion? Read our previous post here.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
181 comments
Level 10

Re: Meet а Meet-up Champion: TravellerG

Congratulations @TravellerG , but I would be more than happy to see you as a Connect Moderator

Mahabub Hasan
Connect Moderator

Congratulations on your achievement and recognition as Meetup Champion @TravellerG  💐

Your tips for organizing virtual and in-person meetups are greatly appreciated 👍

Level 9

Dear @TravellerG

Congratulations 🎊 on being recognized as a Meet-up Champion & welcome to Meet-up Champion club 😊!

Your dedication to bringing together fellow Local Guides, both in person and virtually, is truly inspiring. Your tips for hosting successful events, whether virtual or in-person and your willingness to support others embarking on their meet-up journey is commendable.

Thank you @DeniGu

for sharing another Meet-up Champion with us. 

Greetings from Barishal, Bangladesh.
Level 8

Congratulations @TravellerG I really want to meet you. Will definitely try to take you along for a meet-up  soon.

Raj_Tayade ||" Relationships are formed when you travel with your heart "||

My Map||My Insta||My Post Gallery

Level 10

@DeniGu thank you for recognizing the Great @TravellerG. Honestly, he could be a Champion in all of the categories! 

@TravellerG, my sincere congratulations, Sir, for being recognized as a Meet-up Champion. Your tips and guidance were very much appreciated when I co-hosted my first meet-up with @PrasadVR. You are appreciated for all you do to lift our LG community. 🎉   

JustJake TRAC Badge
Connect Moderator

Yoohooo @TravellerG 

A big congratulations for this great achievement of yours. This is long overdue and finally it's here. We wish you more wins.

Thank you @DeniGu 

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder | Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Level 10

Assalamu Alaikum, my very dear @MahabubMunna,

Your love and attention is very dear to me... 

Thank you so much for being the first to greet me... 

May your kind words be blessings upon me...

Regarding the Moderatorship, in front of your HUGE DEDICATION, I'm no one... Hats off to your SUPER - DRIVE in Guiding the Bangladesh Guides... Very PROUD OF YOU,... dear brother...

I once again, express my greetings for your 10th Anniversary... 

🙏🙏🙏

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Connect Moderator

Congratulations @TravellerG Sir.

this is well deserved recognition that is long overdue.

More energy and accolades to your name.

best regards.

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Level 10

So kind of you to respond quickly and give your valuable feedback, my very dear friend @Tushar_Suradkar

I always remember the very valuable support you gave me... Thank you so much for reading through the tips...

I'm thinking of publishing more on this, after our meetups... 

All your suggestions are welcome, please... 

Most sincerely... 

🙏❤️🤝

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me