PavelSarwar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Masjid Kampung Hulu:- oldest mosque in Malacca and among the oldest in the Malaysia

Hello Everyone!

Recently I and @SumaiyaZafrin  visited Melaka (World Heritage City by UNESCO). During our short visit, we visited, explored many places, tourist attractions, foods, and many more. In this post, I am going to share about Masjid Kampung Hulu. Masjid Kampung Hulu is the oldest mosque in Malacca and among the oldest in Malaysia, having originally built around the year 1720–1728 and underwent renovation in 1892.

Caption: I and Sumaiya in front of the Mosque. Photo: Zarjis Islam

The history of the mosque began when the Dutch ruler with its open policy on religion had financed the construction of this mosque around year 1728. However, some opinionate that the mosque was built in 1720 . The mosque is located in the center of Malacca city in the district of Melaka Tengah which is now surrounded by Chinese shops. The mosque was built by Dato' Samsudin bin Arom, an immigrant from China who converted to Islam with help of local community (Utusan Malaysia, 2006). The original building was later improved by Sheikh Al-Omar Bin Hussain AlAttas. The mosque has been renovated and rebuilt into a concrete building in 1892 to replace the timber building. An article in Utusan Malaysia (2006 ) stated that other than the ruins of A'Famosa, Bastian House and Stadthuys, old mosques in Melaka also attract the attention of tourists from all over the world.

Caption: Inside view of the Mosque. Photo: Pavel Sarwar

Caption: The pulpit is the elevated place for the imam to deliver the sermon in the mosque. Photo: Pavel Sarwar

Caption: Wooden Window. Photo: Pavel Sarwar

Caption: Beduk over 280 years old that is still used in the mosque. Photo: Pavel Sarwar

Caption: Place of ablution. Photo: Pavel Sarwar

Caption: Outside top view of the mosque. Photo: Pavel Sarwar

Caption: My selfie at the main entrance.

The mosque is a nice place to visit during a short stay in Malacca, and is close to other religious structures that show the religious diversity in Malaysia.

Full album: 

Google Maps Location: 

Proud to be a Local Guide.
Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
6 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Masjid Kampung Hulu:- oldest mosque in Malacca and among the oldest in the Malaysia

@PavelSarwar Thanks for sharing and showing us an oldest mosque details. It looks nice and so traditional mosque of ancient Malaysia. 

Keep Sharing!

Happy Guiding!

Level 7

Re: Masjid Kampung Hulu:- oldest mosque in Malacca and among the oldest in the Malaysia

Thanks for such a historical and heritage building of masjid

Muhammad Yousuf
Level 8

@ShafiulB Thank you. I will try to share about another mosque soon.

Connect Moderator

জায়গা টা খুবই সুন্দর, এতো দারুণ ভাবে বর্ননা করার জন্য ধন্যবাদ। লিখাটা খুব ভালো হয়েছে। 

Level 8

@SumaiyaZafrin Insaallah we will explore many places this year. 

Level 7

What a nice mosque! I wish i were in the mosque. Thanks brother @PavelSarwar for writing such a nice post about your visit. Did you prayed here?