JillE's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Making Google’s travel itineraries more wheelchair accessible

GAAD SCreenshot travel itins.png

Photo caption: Screenshot of Google travel itineraries "If you only have a day," "Along the Seine," and "From the Louvre to Bastille"

Today is Global Accessibility Awareness Day, which aims to get people thinking and learning more about inclusivity and creating better experiences for people with different needs.

So, what can you do to make a difference today? You can start by helping us understand more about accessible travel needs. Here’s how...

Have you ever used Google’s Day Plans? They are itineraries that appear in our city travel guides – like this one for Paris. The Day Plans focus around popular tourist spots, neighborhoods, and more. They can last a few hours or a full day–depending on how long you linger at each place, or if you stop for ice cream.

If you’re familiar with a city route and accessibility needs (check out this guide for tips), you can join us today in our quest to make accessible Day Plans.

By filling out this survey, you can help Google provide better Day Plan suggestions for people who use wheelchairs, and have other mobility challenges, like strollers, crutches, luggage and more. Share your experiences of navigating the streets in a wheelchair, with someone who uses a wheelchair or with a baby stroller or buggy, and tell us how useful you think the day plans are now, and how they could be improved.

Take the survey!

Also, don’t forget to keep adding accessibility information to places you visit everyday, which helps others find places to go. You can do this by answering questions, taking photos of signs and entrances (see these photo tips), and by adding accessibility comments in your reviews.

And if you want to check out more Day Plans on your own, just search for a city name on Google, tap the [City] travel guide, and find the Day Plans via a tab at the top of your screen.

36 comments
Level 10

Re: Making Google’s travel itineraries more wheelchair accessible

Thanks for sharing @JillE I will definitely fill out the survey and share my ideas and thoughts on how accessibility can be improved in my city. I also love sharing accessibility information on Google Maps, by writing reviews about places with accessibility information, and also places that doesn't have easy accessibility, I always include that information too. And add photos too for clear description. An example is a photo I took in a mall that has a wheelchair accessible car park.A photo showing a wheelchair accessible car park in mallA photo showing a wheelchair accessible car park in mall

That's fantastic - thank you!

Level 10

@JillE wrote:

That's fantastic - thank you!

You are welcome !.

Connect Moderator

Outstanding idea! It helps a lot!

Thank you! Real contribution.

@JillE the „Paris“ link does not work. At least not now and not from my smartphone.

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 9

of course i will take the survey @JillE 🙂

Helping in Accessablity is part of my passions nowScreenshot_20180517-172632.jpg

Thanks for the headsup on Paris. I will try get that fixed now!  

ok - Paris link now fixed! Thank you

@TorM wrote:

Outstanding idea! It helps a lot!

Thank you! Real contribution.

@JillE the „Paris“ link does not work. At least not now and not from my smartphone.

Level 10

Hi @JillE

From the day in last September,when I hosted Accessibility walk MALAYSIA

I am doing my best to answer the question about accessibility and writing reviews with accessibility information, thanks for the great post and sure I will take survey about that also,

Have a nice day

Level 9

Hello @JillE

Thank you for reminding the global accessibility awareness day.

I have submitted my survey regarding the places,and transits which provide wheelchair accessible entrance. In Pune,India.

Regards,

Shrava