cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Local Guides in India: Help during demonetisation

31-dec-16-paymentpptions.png

India’s Recent Currency Demonetization and How Local Guides Can Help

In November, the Indian government announced that it would discontinue the use of existing 500 and 1,000 rupee notes (around 86% of currency in circulation). Everyone can deposit their old bills in their bank accounts till Dec 30th, and can withdraw new currency notes from ATMs and banks.

You can help your neighbors navigate the changes by adding missing banks and ATMs to Google Maps. Since cash shortages are another concern, you can also edit cafes, restaurants and stores directly on Google Maps for Android and Chrome for mobile to identify places that accept credit and debit cards.

Tips for getting started:

How to add a place to Google Maps

To add ATMs, use the category “ATM” and add it as a distinct feature.

• Do not add an ATM within a bank if it is accessible only within the working hours of the bank.
  • You can add ATMs from different banks as a separate feature. If there are multiple ATMs of the same bank in one place, you can add them as a single feature.
  • You can include “ATM” in the name such as “XYZ bank ATM”

dec2016-localguides-payment-options.gif

37 comments
Level 5

Addition of ATMs in India

As Government of India demonetised two high value currencies i.e, ₹ 500 and ₹ 2,000 and replaced it with new ₹ 599 and ₹ 2000 it is hard to get the existing currency or withdraw new ones.

Especially for foreign travellers, who are not familiar with the withdrawal limits it gets even harder to withdraw new currency

It would be great if Indian Local Guides Community could organise a drive to add all active ATMs and Banks across the country to help others

Connect Moderator

Re: Local Guides in India: Help during demonetisation

@AradhanaB Thanks for this announcement.... 

Its help or Encourage Indian Local Guides to Improve Theire area Mapping. 

Happy Mapping 

Happy Guiding 

Level 10

@Amitesh_Gayen kindly share this post your all Indian community 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 8

Really It was a very supportive initiative for Demonetization for adding ATMS and we have to add also which stores are available to sell in digital systems. 

Level 7

It would be a great work if local guides from India achive 100 % update/ mark/ review of ATMs available in their local area on Google map , so that anybody who needs cash may find suitable ATM site in their nearby areas. As India remain in a phase of transition  after demonetization of 86% of its currency, common public is facing currency crunch even after 50 days after demonetization. it would a great opportunity for local guides by using  Google's platform and helping others by providing review, adding places etc. In past two month I have updated the information of Suratgarh area particularly related to bank facility, ATMs, crowd availability etc.i would like to appeal other's local guides to do so..

Thank you very much mam for post and inviting attention towards this  valuable aspects.

Level 9

Thank you @AradhanaB for this vital post. I have added a few new ATM's in my locality in Kolkata, West Bengal. 

I would like to share this ATM news with my fellow local guides and Googlers. 

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/live-long-queues-outside-banks-atms-as-payday-pangs-continu...

We are really facing troubles in everyday life. I hope everything's back to normal soon. 

Local Hero: Mapping Calcutta’s Hospitals | Instagram | Facebook| Twitter | YouTube | LGSummit16, LGSummit17, SVT18 alumnus
Level 8

Hello @AradhanaB,

Thanks for the post!

As being an Indian I am contributing and adding ATM nearby and also motivating my friends about LocalGuides 

It feels awesome when you have added missing place. people come to the places and get information about the places that we have added, the feeling is awesome.

Level 10

Good Job fellow Local Guides

Level 8

Happy to see this. We are doing the same. There are few rural banks near our village, which are not added to maps yet. We will arrange a meet-up as soon as possible.