OliverPeckham's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Just hit Level 10. Here's my advice to people working their way up.

Hey everyone,

I haven't posted here much, but I follow along quite a bit. I'm a Local Guide based out of North Carolina and Washington, DC. I just hit Level 10 after almost exactly a year at Level 9. 1300 reviews, 2400 photos, and 21,000,000 photo views later, here's my advice to everyone who's looking forward to that ten-point badge.

Pay attention to the mundane -- it matters. I take photos of rest areas, gas stations, bus stops, boring fast food restaurants. I review them with the same care as I review an exciting new restaurant or museum. These things matter to people, because these are usually the things that people need. The contributions I've made to boring places get lots of attention (likes, views, etc.) and it's a great way to give yourself more things to review.

Grinding is tempting, but ultimately unrewarding. Early in my Local Guide days, I wanted to contribute, so I started fact checking as many things as I could -- but so much of it was simply unverifiable that I spent most of my time clicking "Not sure" and not being able to contribute. It wasn't worth it. (Side note: a better system for fact checks would be great!) The same goes for answers -- answers are great, but after a while there are diminishing returns and, like mass fact-checking, it's simply not a rewarding way to engage with this wonderful program. Try to spend more time writing reviews or taking photos.

Instead of grinding, develop a system. Efficiency can still be the name of the game, and if you're aiming for 100,000+ points, it might help you stay sane. My system was:

• Go somewhere. Could be anywhere! Take a bus to a mall, walk to a park, Lyft to a museum.
  • Take photos of everything. Bus stop? Photo. Gift shop? Photo. Fountain? Photo. Parking garage? Photo. 
  • While you're at each place, add a star rating. This is much quicker and easier than adding a review, and can easily be done on the fly for lots of places.
  • Once you get home, handle them one at a time. Go through your banked star ratings from your outing -- add a substantive review, upload your photos for that place, and answer the questions that are on deck on mobile.

The above was what I found to be the most efficient way to contribute to Google Maps -- and more to the point, it felt far, far more in the spirit of the program. I went to new parts of town, took lots of photos, and didn't let the obligations of the program (reviewing, etc.) get in the way of life and adventuring.

Get creative to remember where you've been. Location history on Google Maps and location tags on your photos are great ways to remember where you've been (and discover what you can review!) if you didn't have time to submit a star rating while you were there.

Every once in a while, scroll through your old reviews. See how far you've come and how your writing and photography styles have (hopefully!) improved. Also take a look at the responses from business owners -- it was a great motivator for me to see that my feedback was taken into account or hear how much a positive comment meant.

Be patient. Level 10 snuck up on me, and when it arrived, I was almost sad it was there. I have tons more answers left and a bunch of photos I haven't uploaded. (I'll upload them, of course, and keep contributing!) But the point is -- you'll make it there if you're a regular contributor and you have a system. You don't need to rush it.

This advice might not apply to everyone, but I think it would have helped me going in. I hope this helps someone else, and I wish you all the best on your Local Guides journeys! Remember -- it doesn't stop at Level 10.

Raleigh, NC, USA
6 comments
Google Moderator

Re: Just hit Level 10. Here's my advice to people working their way up.

Hey @OliverPeckham,

Congratulations! Thank you so much for sharing your advices! We are happy to have you here. I am sure that they will be helpful for Local Guides!

Keep guiding and contributing! 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Hi @OliverPeckham,

"Levels don change", this calls for celebrating! Congratulations! Hope you’re thrilled about your new level! I'm sure am happy for you!

I like your advise on paying attention to the mundane things, taking photos of everything and the virtue of being patient. I think I need to re-strategise on my contribution here. I want to take more and more photos now.

Thank you for sharing.

Level 7

Thanks, I have been feeling as though I am expected to write reviews and take photos now that I have been a local guide for a year - it's driving me insane! Thanks for the heads up and reality check. I'm going to Paris with my fiancee and I know she gets annoyed at the amount of screen time I use. Enjoy the World and all it has to offer not a computer screen is what I got from your post, hope I'm right. 

Glen Roger Bridgland
Level 10

Absolutely, @linkspider. Taking tons of photos is (usually) a great thing to do on vacation anyway -- there's plenty of time to turn that into Local Guides contributions later! Also, if you like fondue, check out 'Le Refuge des Fondus' while you're in Paris!

Level 9

Congratulations @OliverPeckham on achieving your new milestone!   Also, thanks for sharing your ideas and written it thoroughly. Keen eyes and consistency is a key. Hopefully, many people can benefit from this post. 

Cheers,

Mutiah

Connect Moderator

Congratulations! I was slowing getting to your same conclusions and you have solidified some of my thoughts. I, too, had noticed the difference that taking photos of the mundane was making. My most popular photo (> 1 million) is the lobby of a cinema! Thank you so much for your tips. I'm working my way to Level 9 and Level 10 is in my radar. It's quite an achievement to make it there.