Christina-NYC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

How to take photos that guide health and fitness fans

Hi Local Guides!

The weather is warming up where I am and I’m excited to spend more time exercising outside. How do people know where the best park is for a jog in the sunshine or where to find the best healthy post-workout smoothie? From Local Guides like you who share your passion for health and fitness on Google Maps!

One great way you can guide other fitness lovers is to add photos on Google Maps that show them what a place is really like. To continue our #LetsGuide celebration of all the things that inspire you to share your knowledge, I’m sharing my top tips for taking amazing photos that tell health and fitness fans where to go.

Tip 1: Step back to show all the possibilities

When you’re at a great gym or park, try to show as much of the space in one photo as possible so people can get a feel for what the place is like. For example, if you’re at a gym show the range of exercise equipment available and how much space there is. If you’re at a park, make sure to show a park’s cycling and walking pathways so people to know that there are designated lanes.

Caption: A photo of a training room in a gym with stacks of weights, barbells, kettlebells, and exercise balls. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of a training room in a gym with stacks of weights, barbells, kettlebells, and exercise balls. (Getty Images)

Caption: A photo of a park with designated walking lanes and biking lanes, both lined by tall trees. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of a park with designated walking lanes and biking lanes, both lined by tall trees. (Getty Images)

Tip 2: Include color to draw attention to your photo

A fun pop of color can liven up an otherwise boring photo of exercise equipment. Look for bright or contrasting colors at a place to help your image stand out from the crowd.

Caption: A photo of rows of dumbbells of various weights at a gym. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of rows of dumbbells of various weights at a gym. (Getty Images)

Caption: A close-up photo of two kettlebells and other gym equipment in the background. (Getty Images)Caption: A close-up photo of two kettlebells and other gym equipment in the background. (Getty Images)

Tip 3: Find the refreshments

As you explore fitness locations, it’s helpful to show where someone can quench their thirst or get a post-workout treat. Look for clues like signs for water fountains on a running path or a smoothie bar located inside a gym, and take photos that show the options available.

Caption: A close-up photo of a drinking fountain in Central Park. (Getty Images)Caption: A close-up photo of a drinking fountain in Central Park. (Getty Images)

Caption: A photo of orange, green, and red fruit smoothies in plastic cups sitting on ice. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of orange, green, and red fruit smoothies in plastic cups sitting on ice. (Getty Images)

One more tip: Make sure that you have the business owner’s permission to photograph inside a gym or fitness center, and respect people’s privacy when you photograph. Take some time to review our community policy if you aren’t sure about taking photos in a gym or other business.

Are you a health and fitness fan? Tell everyone in the comments: What can other Local Guides do to help you find the best workout spots?

54 comments
Level 9

Re: How to take photos that guide health and fitness fans

Good tips and nice photographs @Christina-NYC

Thanks for sharing, next time will follow your guidlinesfor sure.

Here I'm at the gym 🙂

Me @ GymMe @ Gym

Level 10

@Christina-NYC thanks a lot for share with us. greats tips with photo example 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 8

thanks @Christina-NYC for tips on how to take photos that guide health,really help and clear.  We also have workout places in public spaces...  

Level 10

Hi @Christina-NYC

I am a fitness lover and I love this topic,

Thanks for sharing some useful tips for jogging track and gym photography,here is some clicks of mine in gym,20170401_193358.jpg

20170401_193309.jpg

Sure I will share some more with #letsguide

Have a nice day 

Level 10

回應: How to take photos that guide health and fitness fans

@Christina-NYC

This my review at the gym I usually go near my home https://goo.gl/maps/R9jnHneL5mx

Local Guides from Taiwan.

My LGs profile➤https://www.google.com.tw/maps/contrib/101643820823137654634/◀

Level 10

@Christina-NYC Thanks for the tips....

Level 10
Level 10

We can share the gym pics from inside and the store pics . like this

gym.jpg

Level 6

Nice use of color but the pic looks a bit blurry. I bet if you took @Christina-NYC's first point and took a step back, it would come out really nice. 

Level 9

Thank you for the tips.